Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2021, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
No beach at the Marriott although the public beach is close.
While it's true that the hotel doesn't sit on a white sand beach, you can walk 3-5 mins towards Wailea beach and get setup by the Marriott with chairs and umbrellas. It's actually probably a shorter walk from the Marriott to Wailea beach than it is from your room at the GW to Wailea beach. Also, I personally prefer Ulua beach right next the Marriott - you can snorkel there & often see turtles.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by kthpence
While it's true that the hotel doesn't sit on a white sand beach, you can walk 3-5 mins towards Wailea beach and get setup by the Marriott with chairs and umbrellas. It's actually probably a shorter walk from the Marriott to Wailea beach than it is from your room at the GW to Wailea beach. Also, I personally prefer Ulua beach right next the Marriott - you can snorkel there & often see turtles.
thanks , didn’t know about the beach setup.

however, the Marriott hotel won’t let you confirm a king bed on awards or apply Suite Night Awards in spite of availability in every upgraded category

Last edited by beachfan; Sep 22, 2021 at 4:52 pm
Old Sep 23, 2021, 7:27 am

Renovation/Reopening Timeline Update (from Si'i, a Guest Ambassador):
  • Spa Grande will be closed until next year ("We haven't been able to reopen the baths due to Covid restrictions.")
  • The Botero Lounge in the main lobby is set to be completed approximately November 15th.
  • The Water Elevator and Grotto Bar have not yet been reopened due to Covid restrictions and they have to wait until local guidelines allow for reopening.
  • "Other than that, I believe everything else will be open and operational during your stay."
My boyfriend and I will be staying from 11/14-11/20. I've been before, but he hasn't (he's never been west of Iowa!) and I was hoping the lobby would be ready for when we check in. It could still be if they're just working on final details of the bar that aren't disruptive, so *fingers crossed*. If nothing else, we'll still be able to spend some time there. I remember how magical it felt to walk in there when we pulled up for the very first time.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Jewelgirl04
Renovation/Reopening Timeline Update (from Si'i, a Guest Ambassador):
  • Spa Grande will be closed until next year ("We haven't been able to reopen the baths due to Covid restrictions.")
  • The Botero Lounge in the main lobby is set to be completed approximately November 15th.
  • The Water Elevator and Grotto Bar have not yet been reopened due to Covid restrictions and they have to wait until local guidelines allow for reopening.
  • "Other than that, I believe everything else will be open and operational during your stay."
My boyfriend and I will be staying from 11/14-11/20. I've been before, but he hasn't (he's never been west of Iowa!) and I was hoping the lobby would be ready for when we check in. It could still be if they're just working on final details of the bar that aren't disruptive, so *fingers crossed*. If nothing else, we'll still be able to spend some time there. I remember how magical it felt to walk in there when we pulled up for the very first time.
They will be renovating the Napua rooms well into next year. They aren't taking reservations for them until June 1.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
And the fact they are restricted to 50% occupancy. And the fact they were shut down for 6 months. And...

They are in the business to make money, remember.
I totally understand they are a business, my comment was honestly more tounge and cheek.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
They will be renovating the Napua rooms well into next year. They aren't taking reservations for them until June 1.
Good point. I booked with award night certificates, so we have a standard room and I don't know that I would have been willing to pay for the upgrade (since I know my diamond status can't get me upgraded there, anyway).

Last edited by Jewelgirl04; Sep 29, 2021 at 6:55 am
Old Sep 24, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Does anyone have any experiences with paid upgrades from a standard room to a junior or 1BR suite? I have an award reservation using the 95K/night option and would like to upgrade to a larger room since I'm traveling with my family.

I do have Diamond status, although that may not make a big difference here.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by chrisinacton
Does anyone have any experiences with paid upgrades from a standard room to a junior or 1BR suite? I have an award reservation using the 95K/night option and would like to upgrade to a larger room since I'm traveling with my family.

I do have Diamond status, although that may not make a big difference here.
I believe in the past we were quoted ~$300/night or something like that. Pretty ridiculous tbh.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:47 pm

For a one bedroom suite? If so, I actually may take that offer if it was presented.
Michael19887 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:48 pm

I believe in the past we were quoted ~$300/night or something like that. Pretty ridiculous tbh.

For a one bedroom suite? If so, I actually may take that offer if it was presented.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by chrisinacton
I feel like that was for an upgrade to Napua, for the suite, they pretty much quoted the rack rate if you were paying cash for the room. Maybe upwards of $800-$1000...
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:39 pm

I feel like that was for an upgrade to Napua, for the suite, they pretty much quoted the rack rate if you were paying cash for the room. Maybe upwards of $800-$1000...
Got it. Agree, this is a little steep.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:55 am

On the subject of upgrades... I just notice that my standard room (booked over the phone) is with 2 queen beds. Thoughts on whether I should reach out now to see if Hilton can accommodate a change to a king OR, wait until our arrival to see if asking for a king results in an upgrade (with Diamond status)?
Old Sep 29, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
If you want/need a king, get it confirmed ahead of time. If getting stuck with 2 queens is not a concern, then let it ride, but I would think depending on the dates of your stay there could be a very good chance of getting stuck with 2 queens.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by drewdawg199
If you want/need a king, get it confirmed ahead of time. If getting stuck with 2 queens is not a concern, then let it ride, but I would think depending on the dates of your stay there could be a very good chance of getting stuck with 2 queens.
Thanks! I’m staying 11/14-11/20, so I will reach out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.