Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:28 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Just heard from the concierge. Yes, it is valet at $65 only. No self parking.

The remodel is in full swing. The central atrium with Napua Tower sounds fully closed. Check in has moved to the south ballroom entrance. Napua Tower bookings are moved to other rooms, and Napua Lounge bookings are using Omo Lounge for their food and drink.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by kthpence
I'm not sure what your standards or budget are/is, but I'd highly recommend against going to the GW for a Honeymoon. You won't be treated special, and I'd be shocked if anyone went above and beyond to make it a special trip for you.

I'm not sure Oahu is great for a honeymoon either, but Andaz could make a decent honeymoon option if you decide to convert your chase points to Hyatt. With that said, even if you do have globalist status with Hyatt, I doubt you'd get any meaningful upgrade at Andaz. TBH, I'd rather pay cash and stay at Hotel Wailea if it were my honeymoon, or I'd use my points somewhere more remote/quiet, like Conrad Bora Bora, or one of the Hilton properties in the Maldives.

To each their own, I guess, and if you're limited in wanting to just use points, I guess GW is an ok option, but it's certainly not somewhere I'd go on my honeymoon. I'd honestly rather stay at the Marriott next door than here if it were my honeymoon...
Thanks. Based on that and the construction, I will go Marriott on Maui and save Hilton for Oahu (even if it is just Embassy Suites).
kthpence likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Do you know how long construction is supposed to take? I am booked for February but might cancel if this is still going on.
Also booked for February...TIA for any news on length of contruction.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder why they didn't do the construction during the pandemic shutdown for a year. Construction was exempt from the quarantine rules.

Last edited by Baze; Sep 17, 2021 at 4:05 pm Reason: correct spelling typo
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
If they are working on the front entrance how does that affect self-parking? Not sure where it is (since we always have bitten the bullet and used valet), but what is stopping people from parking at the garage/lot then just walking to the hotel?

Makes my Ho'Olei res even better since parking is....wait for it...FREE...in front of your unit.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If they are working on the front entrance how does that affect self-parking? Not sure where it is (since we always have bitten the bullet and used valet), but what is stopping people from parking at the garage/lot then just walking to the hotel?

Makes my Ho'Olei res even better since parking is....wait for it...FREE...in front of your unit.
The self parking was in the parking garage used also for valet. The front check in area is closed during the construction, so they are not encouraging people to use the standard front entrance. Entrance will now be at the south, Ballroom entrance.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The entrance to the parking garage takes a key card, either the one the valet has or your room key. It does not dispense tickets and just open the gate. The valet can remotely open it for your first time entry before get room key encoded. But sounds like they won't do that during the construction and have to use valet. If they have temporarily moved the main entrance then getting to and from the garage would be really a pain as the walkway goes to either the main entrance or if you turn the other way out to the street.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
The entrance to the parking garage takes a key card, either the one the valet has or your room key. It does not dispense tickets and just open the gate. The valet can remotely open it for your first time entry before get room key encoded. But sounds like they won't do that during the construction and have to use valet. If they have temporarily moved the main entrance then getting to and from the garage would be really a pain as the walkway goes to either the main entrance or if you turn the other way out to the street.
So it sounds like they COULD have made all parking self, but chose to go the pricier to the customer route?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it sounds like they COULD have made all parking self, but chose to go the pricier to the customer route?
But they are thinking it's the more convenient method for the customer with the temporary entrance not near the garage. Wink wink.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:51 pm

But they are thinking it's the more convenient method for the customer with the temporary entrance not near the garage. Wink wink.
If they truly had the customer's best interests at heart, then why not lower the valet parking rate (or gasp, waive it) for the duration of the construction? They sure make enough on nightly room rates.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 9:11 pm

like when a company devalues a loyalty program and passes it off as "enhancements "
Old Sep 20, 2021, 9:13 pm

If they truly had the customer's best interests at heart, then why not lower the valet parking rate (or gasp, waive it) for the duration of the construction? They sure make enough on nightly room rates.
they have to find a new revenue stream to supplement the award stays and the $50 daily food and beverage cedits for the gold and diamond members.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
they have to find a new revenue stream to supplement the award stays and the $50 daily food and beverage cedits for the gold and diamond members.
And the fact they are restricted to 50% occupancy. And the fact they were shut down for 6 months. And...

They are in the business to make money, remember.
Beachchaser likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Thanks. Based on that and the construction, I will go Marriott on Maui and save Hilton for Oahu (even if it is just Embassy Suites).
Good call ... the Adult pool at the Marriott is a way nicer setting (last time I was there they finally took my advice to add more chairs on the lawn area below the pool so there was sufficient seating), and I prefer the ocean view / partial ocean view rooms to GW as your are significantly closer to the ocean than the GW (or any hotel in Wailea for that matter). Enjoy your honeymoon!
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
No beach at the Marriott although the public beach is close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.