Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by mball
Thanks, and yes we had our trip. Sadly, I think I pretty much agree with this. The kicker was that we ended up with one of those 15% off HGV cards for talking with the rep for ~5 minutes. They wouldn't accept it for breakfast, which felt deliberately...I don't know, captive? Almost all the other food places we tried honored the 15% off. Service was good, but $80 for two after credits was just too much.

Speaking of HGV -- I really want to rail against the fact that having reps /next/ to the concierge desk intercept and upsell you is the EXACT opposite of luxury. At the same time, the 15% off card is a useful discount and meant the F&B credits did go a bit further (about $60/day), which was nice. And we did take them up on a 100K pts offer for a sales presentation in Kihei. Ultimately, we got lucky: Spent 30 minutes waiting, they were overbooked, then released us and deposited 100K points in my account within hours. So, part of me finds this all very annoying, and would have had a perfectly enjoyable trip regardless. But, given that I also redeemed 21 nights of points stays this year...I also enjoy being able to play the game.
And, if you are staying in a HGV or on a timeshare presentation rate, be sure to disconnect the landline in your room to avoid sales calls.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
A couple of questions as we get ready to head over to the GW next weekend.
1) For anyone that has stayed recently, what is the status of renovations? Almost done? Any impact to the pools at this point?
2) Kind of surprising , the hotel is sold out 4 straight days during our stay. Corp. event at the property? Thinking my likely upgrade to oceanfront room from garden room won't be happening due to property being sold out a good portion of the week.

Here are the NOR1 standby upgrades being offered. I would likely spend the $200/night for the Deluxe Oceanview if I knew it was likely to be confirmed. At this point going to wait for the upgrade window to open and see if moved from garden room. If not will try at check-in.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by dlaue
And, if you are staying in a HGV or on a timeshare presentation rate, be sure to disconnect the landline in your room to avoid sales calls.
ditto for any time share. We own a hyatt timeshare in carmel CA area and I definitely unplug the phone cable until I need to request something from Housekeeping :-)
dlaue likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 4:57 pm

good question

Originally Posted by doctajay
A couple of questions as we get ready to head over to the GW next weekend.
1) For anyone that has stayed recently, what is the status of renovations? Almost done? Any impact to the pools at this point?
2) Kind of surprising , the hotel is sold out 4 straight days during our stay. Corp. event at the property? Thinking my likely upgrade to oceanfront room from garden room won't be happening due to property being sold out a good portion of the week.

Here are the NOR1 standby upgrades being offered. I would likely spend the $200/night for the Deluxe Oceanview if I knew it was likely to be confirmed. At this point going to wait for the upgrade window to open and see if moved from garden room. If not will try at check-in.
Please update how busy it is and any upgrade-- we'll be arriving the Monday after next weekend

So, I've noticed the same thing you have. There's no way it's a true sell out, because I've been checking room types for fun every other day the last few weeks, and either the day before (or two days before), they had like 12 different rooms available from cheap to ultra-expensive. You can't convince me that only about 10 days out, every room type just suddenly sold out.

I'm speculating they are under either a) some staff level restrictions due in part to the Maui fire-- drop of tourism and maybe employees impacted-- and they are cutting off the occupancy at a certain level regardless of the room types booked, or b) they just decided to do some major construction projects and want less guests.

I understand some folks with airfare already bought have likely shifted from West Maui to South Maui, but maybe my OCD of checking regularly and seeing a sudden "sell-out" a opposed to a gradual sell-out might suggest getting a free upgrade could still be a possibility.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 9:47 am

Will do teammjs . There is also another 4-night block two weeks later (Monday thru Thursday) that is also showing as sold out. The Ho'olei at Grand Wailea also shows sold out for months. I think you are on to something about staffing and capacity. Maybe someone at the property now can provide a little more insight to the current occupancy.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 8:16 am

Availability has now opened up next week at GW, so I think you were on to something about inventory control due to staff.

Originally Posted by doctajay
Will do teammjs . There is also another 4-night block two weeks later (Monday thru Thursday) that is also showing as sold out. The Ho'olei at Grand Wailea also shows sold out for months. I think you are on to something about staffing and capacity. Maybe someone at the property now can provide a little more insight to the current occupancy.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:05 pm

Using free night certificate from my friend at Grand Wailea

Someone told me Grand Wailea won't allow suing free night certificate from another person.

I used the free night certificates of my friend last year at Walforf Los Cabos and no one cared.

Any experience with/ Grand Wailea with free night certificates stay?
Old Oct 7, 2023, 11:41 pm

Checked in this afternoon. I didn’t use OLCI as I had two reservations (one points stay + one FNC redemption) and wanted to talk to desk agent to make sure these were recognized and wouldn’t have to move rooms. No issues and they made a note in the reservation to handle when points stay ends to keep me in the same room and process the check out/check in without having to do anything myself.

Check-in took longer than expected with 6 agents working the desk. Status was recognized and my stay details reviewed. Was pre-upgraded from the standard terrace room points redemption the day before check-in to ocean view room. Agent confirmed it was “partial” ocean view. 7th floor room in the Haleakala wing was assigned. An upgrade offer of $300/night for Napua room was offered (I don’t think it was described as an ocean view Napua room). Was really on the fence, but decided to decline. Our view is fine for the limited time we will be in the room during the week.

Doesn’t seem very busy. Early evening my kids were enjoying an empty pool.

Humuhumu closed (don’t recall if it was mention earlier in the thread or not). Only other signs of active Reno work was around spa.

feel free to ask questions. I am here all week and happy to contribute to the FT community.

Originally Posted by teammjs
Please update how busy it is and any upgrade-- we'll be arriving the Monday after next weekend

So, I've noticed the same thing you have. There's no way it's a true sell out, because I've been checking room types for fun every other day the last few weeks, and either the day before (or two days before), they had like 12 different rooms available from cheap to ultra-expensive. You can't convince me that only about 10 days out, every room type just suddenly sold out.

I'm speculating they are under either a) some staff level restrictions due in part to the Maui fire-- drop of tourism and maybe employees impacted-- and they are cutting off the occupancy at a certain level regardless of the room types booked, or b) they just decided to do some major construction projects and want less guests.

I understand some folks with airfare already bought have likely shifted from West Maui to South Maui, but maybe my OCD of checking regularly and seeing a sudden "sell-out" a opposed to a gradual sell-out might suggest getting a free upgrade could still be a possibility.
gutt22, piyush, gaobest and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by mnoman
Someone told me Grand Wailea won't allow suing free night certificate from another person.

I used the free night certificates of my friend last year at Walforf Los Cabos and no one cared.

Any experience with/ Grand Wailea with free night certificates stay?
Booked NYE using FNC about a month ago without a problem.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 5:13 pm

Had a wonderful call with on-site reservations yesterday regarding our stay in March 2024. Called to take advantage of the $200 off $1,000 Amex offer and my $250 Aspire credit that expires at the end of this year with the card changes. Made deposits on my room to take advantage of both giving me $450 in free credit on our free stay (5 nights on points and 2 FNCs). Agent reported that Humu should be reopened in November. All construction will hopefully be done when we arrive with spa construction slated to be done in “Spring.”
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txmikedc
Had a wonderful call with on-site reservations yesterday regarding our stay in March 2024. Called to take advantage of the $200 off $1,000 Amex offer and my $250 Aspire credit that expires at the end of this year with the card changes. Made deposits on my room to take advantage of both giving me $450 in free credit on our free stay (5 nights on points and 2 FNCs). Agent reported that Humu should be reopened in November. All construction will hopefully be done when we arrive with spa construction slated to be done in “Spring.”
Are you sure that $200 off $1000 offer works at Waldorf Astoria? Mine specifically says it doesn't.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 3:22 am

Programs: HH, *G
Originally Posted by josephstern
Are you sure that $200 off $1000 offer works at Waldorf Astoria? Mine specifically says it doesn't.
The one I see is:
Get a one-time $200 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible Card to spend a minimum of $1,000 USD in one or more purchases on room rate and room charges, when you pay for your stay at participating Hilton properties in Anguilla, French Polynesia, Mexico and the US from 9/1/2023 to 12/31/2023. See terms.
Earlier this year I had one with the same terms and successfully prepaid incidentals.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 4:49 pm

Searched the thread and didn't find any recent DPs - if I currently have 5 nights booked on points (4 paid with points, 5th night free) and have 4 FNCs, can I call in to swap the FNCs in, paying the 5th night only with points? General answer is only if there is availability, but there were successful DPs from 2021.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yourpubliclibrary
Searched the thread and didn't find any recent DPs - if I currently have 5 nights booked on points (4 paid with points, 5th night free) and have 4 FNCs, can I call in to swap the FNCs in, paying the 5th night only with points? General answer is only if there is availability, but there were successful DPs from 2021.
I don’t see why that would be an issue (granted the phone rep is wiling and capable) but you would obvi lose out on the 5th night free since that’s tech only compatible w pts booking.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 5:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by yourpubliclibrary
Worth a try. You'd save all those points for another day. You'd get no resort fees either way. I'd sure ask, and even if you can't you still have a great 5 night stay and all those FNC's to use another time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.