Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Old Feb 5, 22, 11:35 am
  #736  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,722
Originally Posted by vtgambler View Post
You're going to have to walk a lot farther than 15 minutes for overnight parking. Neither the beach nor the shops allow overnight parking and they're well aware of the situation.
if one brings a backpack, one can stop and pick up tea bags to make one's own tea, maybe stop for groceries, and really "stick it to" the GW.
/sarcasm. Seriously, a Hawaii vacation is not the time to waste 2x15 minutes (PLUS) each use of the car. Don't cheap out after coming all that way. Save for another month if you can't afford the valet when it's your time to go.
Just my 2 cents. YMMV
SFO 1K likes this.
LovePrunes is offline  
Old Feb 5, 22, 11:48 am
  #737  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edwardsburg, MI
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Posts: 158
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
if one brings a backpack, one can stop and pick up tea bags to make one's own tea, maybe stop for groceries, and really "stick it to" the GW.
/sarcasm. Seriously, a Hawaii vacation is not the time to waste 2x15 minutes (PLUS) each use of the car. Don't cheap out after coming all that way. Save for another month if you can't afford the valet when it's your time to go.
Just my 2 cents. YMMV
I agree. And again, its significantly more than 15 minutes if you plan to keep the car for the length of your stay. But to each their own.
vtgambler is offline  
Old Feb 5, 22, 12:21 pm
  #738  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 752
You're talking about the road behind the Fairmont right?
I used to park there when staying at the Fairmont even when self-parking was free, because it was easier than the Fairmont's structure. Getting a spot there wasn't guaranteed, and I can imagine it's worse now that parking costs in Wailea have skyrocketed. So when you take that chance, what happens when it's full?

I like to walk the beach path from GW to the Fairmont, and it's 15-20min depending on how fast you go.
tjbrooks is offline  
Old Feb 5, 22, 12:28 pm
  #739  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 6,889
Originally Posted by vtgambler View Post
I was not aware that you could book Ho'olei through Hyatt, but it is interesting. We absolutely loved our stay there a few years ago. I actually found many dates available at 70K per night. However there is absolutely no reference to use of GW facilities on either the Hyatt site, or Destination Resorts. I think it's fair to assume it's not included. I don't really care about the pools at GW, but having access to their beach setup was nice. Unfortunate that they never seem to offer reasonable points redemption through Hilton anymore.
I have no idea of the relative value of Hyatt points to Hilton points, but 70K for an upscale 3 BR condo sounds like a steal. We paid 300K Hilton points pn last year (my daughter kept asking, "how did you manage to collect a MILLION and a half points?", that was just about what three 95K rooms were going for, with so much more room. We're going back to Ho"O this year but will have to pay cash, still got a pretty good deal for just over $1,100 per night.

For us (with the kids) the GW pools were paramount. And we also loved the beach set up. I didn't personally ever have the beach chairs set up (husband, son-in law went ahead and did it) - do they check to make sure you're a Hilton guest?

And I have to say I really liked the quiet H'O pool, too. The grandkids would just take off telling us they were either going to the "big pool or the small pool".
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Feb 5, 22, 12:49 pm
  #740  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by tjbrooks View Post
You're talking about the road behind the Fairmont right?
I used to park there when staying at the Fairmont even when self-parking was free, because it was easier than the Fairmont's structure. Getting a spot there wasn't guaranteed, and I can imagine it's worse now that parking costs in Wailea have skyrocketed. So when you take that chance, what happens when it's full?

I like to walk the beach path from GW to the Fairmont, and it's 15-20min depending on how fast you go.
Exactly. Not a big deal for us. To walk 15 mins. If a kid leaves something in the car I have to call the valet have them bring the car around go to the car and come back. At this resort just walking back to the valet is about 5-10mins one way. And I have to wait for the car to be moved. The inconvenience of valet greatly out weighs a 15 minute walk. Add the price in and it's absurd. We've been to Maui a few times and will be there 3 weeks this time. I'm not 80 I can walk a mile in about 15 minutes. And do some whale watching on the way. I'm sure my wife and kids will enjoy the stroll to the car as well. Slow down your life. Enjoy the little things. It will all be better.

Last edited by jhartt3; Feb 5, 22 at 12:56 pm
jhartt3 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 22, 1:04 pm
  #741  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 6,889
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
Exactly. Not a big deal for us. To walk 15 mins. If a kid leaves something in the car I have to call the valet have them bring the car around go to the car and come back. At this resort just walking back to the valet is about 5-10mins one way. And I have to wait for the car to be moved. The inconvenience of valet greatly out weighs a 15 minute walk. Add the price in and it's absurd. We've been to Maui a few times and will be there 3 weeks this time. I'm not 80 I can walk a mile in about 15 minutes. And do some whale watching on the way. I'm sure my wife and kids will enjoy the stroll to the car as well. Slow down your life. Enjoy the little things. It will all be better.
Just goes to show how different people can be - I think it's hilarious that some consider a valet "inconvenient".

And from the other post, we walked to dinner at the FS once from the GW along the beach path, great going, PITCH black coming back.
kthpence and LovePrunes like this.
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Feb 5, 22, 6:13 pm
  #742  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Posts: 10,708
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel View Post
Thanks all for the helpful tips. We werent sure about needing a car for the time we are at GW but as we need one for the rest of the time we are on Maui, it made sense to have one for the duration.

Thats partly why the valet parking is a minor pain as were not used to the idea - instead just using the car as and when; instead every time we use it well be paying a $10 tip. Hey ho. Well just relax and hit the credit card hard.
Over Christmas 2017 I spent 2 weeks on Maui with my wife (before we moved to the islands). First week was at GW. Did not rent a car for that week. Just enjoyed the resort and walking around. For the second week rented a condo in Kaanapali. Took an Uber from the GW to the airport when switching places and picked up the rental car to use for the second week as parking was free at the condo. Did the second week to explore the island.
kirkwoodj and SavvyTravel like this.
Baze is offline  
Old Feb 8, 22, 5:26 pm
  #743  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 24
Will be staying in grand wailea during the president day week. I have several questions below:

Is it a good idea that I ask for a first floor room in the lagoon wing? So that I can access the pools directly from my room. Any thoughts on the drawbacks? Too noisy?

And any recent DP for the diamond credit? Is the usage strictly per day (as mentioned earlier in this thread, rule change in 2021) or still per stay like before?

And finally is there a shortcut from the hotel to the shops at wailea? It looks like the mall has a backdoor to the neighboring beach villas, but not sure how much shorter it will be.

Thanks a lot!
airsniper is offline  
Old Feb 8, 22, 7:29 pm
  #744  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2MM/Lifetime UC, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 7,584
Originally Posted by airsniper View Post
And finally is there a shortcut from the hotel to the shops at wailea? It looks like the mall has a backdoor to the neighboring beach villas, but not sure how much shorter it will be.

Thanks a lot!
Dunno about the other questions, but yes there's a little path that cuts through to the Shops mauka from the grand entrance. What effect construction will have on access to that, I'm not sure, but we'll be there next week and I'll find out.
kirkwoodj is offline  
Old Feb 11, 22, 1:30 pm
  #745  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by airsniper View Post
Will be staying in grand wailea during the president day week. I have several questions below:

Is it a good idea that I ask for a first floor room in the lagoon wing? So that I can access the pools directly from my room. Any thoughts on the drawbacks? Too noisy?

And any recent DP for the diamond credit? Is the usage strictly per day (as mentioned earlier in this thread, rule change in 2021) or still per stay like before?

And finally is there a shortcut from the hotel to the shops at wailea? It looks like the mall has a backdoor to the neighboring beach villas, but not sure how much shorter it will be.

Thanks a lot!

We stayed over the festive season and the credit was still technically on a daily basis. Although the credit was applied at the end of the stay in a lump sum. Not sure if that has changed.

The valets told me the cut through to the stores was still open but we didnt use it because we had a stroller and there are multiple flights of stairs. It only took us 10 minutes to get there the long way along the street pushing two toddlers.
cvgdca is offline  
Old Feb 11, 22, 6:19 pm
  #746  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by airsniper View Post
Will be staying in grand wailea during the president day week. I have several questions below:

Is it a good idea that I ask for a first floor room in the lagoon wing? So that I can access the pools directly from my room. Any thoughts on the drawbacks? Too noisy?

And any recent DP for the diamond credit? Is the usage strictly per day (as mentioned earlier in this thread, rule change in 2021) or still per stay like before?

And finally is there a shortcut from the hotel to the shops at wailea? It looks like the mall has a backdoor to the neighboring beach villas, but not sure how much shorter it will be.

Thanks a lot!
We'll be there at the same time. I'm liking this first floor lagoon wing request.
jhartt3 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 4:31 am
  #747  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 601
Does anyone know where the Omo Lounge is located in the resort? Which building is closest to the lounge? Thanks.
asdfghjk is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 6:04 pm
  #748  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 189
Anyone stay in an updated room yet? Or pay for any upgrades from a standard room booking?

anyone have an email address?
atojbk is online now  
Old Feb 13, 22, 5:44 am
  #749  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: No. California
Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Posts: 1,822
Originally Posted by asdfghjk View Post
Does anyone know where the Omo Lounge is located in the resort? Which building is closest to the lounge? Thanks.
The Omo Lounge is in the old Asian restaurant area, off the Wailea wing, 4th floor. 4th floor is "ground level" for the entrance lobby, and the Omo is just off the Lobby to the north.
asdfghjk likes this.
BlueZebra is online now  
Old Feb 13, 22, 6:06 pm
  #750  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: United
Posts: 16
Curious if anybody can give some info about the beach cruisers that GW says are included in the resort fee. Are there a decent number of them, or do they have like 5 and they're never available? How does the checking out work?
RoseB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread