Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Old Jan 22, 19, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by JetSet05 View Post

Interesting that you received a welcome letter, and I did not. As I mentioned, I had to ask the front desk if I received 30/day anywhere, and she confirmed. After reading the updates on the forum, I was curious what would happen upon check out. Sure enough, my original receipt did not give the credit ($150). I called the front desk, and he explained to me that it was for the grand dining room only. I informed him what my front desk agent told me, his response was only “Sorry, she told you wrong”. I asked how that was my fault, and how should I know. He again only apologized. I asked to speak to a manager on duty, and he put me on hold. After a few minutes he came back and informed me he was able to apply the $150 credit to my bill.

I also noticed that sometime during my stay, the stated benefits on the app was updated to state that the diamond benefit was $15 per person per day, max 2 people, for the grand dining room only. It also states that the credit would be applied at the time of purchase at the restaurant. I have no idea when this app update occurred, as it was not listed this way when I checked in.
I just remembered the $30 credit was taken off by the breakfast server, not at check out. Glad you got the credit reimbursed, but the agent was definitely wrong by telling you it applies anywhere within the resort.
Old Jan 22, 19, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
This is all really stupid. I contacted the hotel a week or two ago and was also told the credit was only good in the grand dining room. So I guess no room service anymore? What does breakfast cost in the dining room? I thought they're supposed to provide you the equivalent of a free continental breakfast. I'm skeptical that only costs $15 at this hotel.

EDIT: The hotel sent me the breakfast menu for the grand dining room. It looks like most "a la carte" breakfasts cost $26 to $30, but it seems like coffee and juice are included in that price. There's also a buffet, but no price listed. Does anyone know how much that costs?
Can confirm buffet is $39pp. Cheapest a la carte item is acai bowl for $20, which we ordered and is actually quite nicely put in a half pineapple. Most expensive item is customizable omelette at $30. Anything comes with one glass of juice (no refill) and coffee. The credit definitely will not cover your breakfast bill, so it will be around $20-30 extra out of pocket for you after tax and tip.
Old Jan 22, 19, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ezak View Post
Can confirm buffet is $39pp. Cheapest a la carte item is acai bowl for $20, which we ordered and is actually quite nicely put in a half pineapple. Most expensive item is customizable omelette at $30. Anything comes with one glass of juice (no refill) and coffee. The credit definitely will not cover your breakfast bill, so it will be around $20-30 extra out of pocket for you after tax and tip.
Then how is that a "continental breakfast benefit"? No one is asking them to give away 2 free buffets every day.

I really don't understand why they can get away with this, and all their previous machinations of "breakfast only at night", "breakfast only for room service"...ridiculous. $15 per person is pretty standard, just take it off every day there is any kind of restaurant charge and be done with it.
FlugE likes this.
Old Jan 22, 19, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
Then how is that a "continental breakfast benefit"? No one is asking them to give away 2 free buffets every day.

I really don't understand why they can get away with this, and all their previous machinations of "breakfast only at night", "breakfast only for room service"...ridiculous. $15 per person is pretty standard, just take it off every day there is any kind of restaurant charge and be done with it.
Well, I'm "asking" for the free buffet (many other Hilton hotels include it), but I don't think I'll receive it from these guys.

But, yes, this is wrong. If there's supposed to be a specified loyalty program benefit, that benefit should exist. I am still wondering if it's possible to order a muffin for $15, and that's their defense.

And I still don't understand why the breakfast benefit has to change every month or so. I mean, really. Given the room rates this place charges, is it really that important for them to focus so much attention on this modest elite benefit and constantly change it?
Old Jan 22, 19, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Well, I'm "asking" for the free buffet (many other Hilton hotels include it), but I don't think I'll receive it from these guys.

But, yes, this is wrong. If there's supposed to be a specified loyalty program benefit, that benefit should exist. I am still wondering if it's possible to order a muffin for $15, and that's their defense.

And I still don't understand why the breakfast benefit has to change every month or so. I mean, really. Given the room rates this place charges, is it really that important for them to focus so much attention on this modest elite benefit and constantly change it?
I wish they could offer a take-out style breakfast for $15, this way you at least get something to eat without having to pay extra.

I guess they’re changing the benefit because of capacity issues. Before the “room service” era, people complained waiting in line at the cafe. And perhaps their room service team couldn’t handle the volume of elite members. Not defending them, just guessing their logic behind the scenes.
Old Jan 22, 19, 10:38 pm

Anyone have an actual picture of the breakfast menu? The most recent one I could find was from several years ago.
Old Jan 23, 19, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zelucifer View Post
Anyone have an actual picture of the breakfast menu? The most recent one I could find was from several years ago.
I have one, but flyertalk says the file is too big to attach. All breakfasts include juice and coffee, and range from $20 for the acai bowl to $30 for an omelette. Loco moco at $29 is as "wild" as the menu gets, otherwise it's standard hotel breakfast fare.
Old Jan 23, 19, 7:34 am

My experience over New Years as a Diamond. I was given a sheet at check in that stated $30 per day Food and Beverage credit. Had to be used each day, not cumulative. Was able to snag an upgrade to the Napua tower, so we ate there every morning. Charged snacks and cocktails by the pool each day. Went to concierge prior to check out and got a copy of my folio. It showed $150 HH credit for the 5 days.
Old Jan 23, 19, 8:49 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
Did you have to use it at the Grand Dining Room?
No, it was good on all charges, Botero Bar, Volcano Grill, breakfast buffet......drinks at the pool. Did not have any restrictions
Old Jan 23, 19, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer View Post
No, it was good on all charges, Botero Bar, Volcano Grill, breakfast buffet......drinks at the pool. Did not have any restrictions
Strange how everyone has a different experience. Check-in roulette. We're not going for a while so who knows what it will be then. Thanks.
tweekerz likes this.
Old Jan 23, 19, 10:53 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond

Here is the menu.... I have confirmed via their twitter team it is grand dining room only now. Must have changed after 1st of year. I am trying to clarify if there is a hot and cold option on buffet. I read a review and someone mentioned the cold option. I just stayed at the Waldorf in Orlando and they offer the cold buffet for free (2 people) with a $15 upcharge for hot. Would be nice if they could do this here.
Old Jan 23, 19, 10:57 am

Last edited by sargenet; Jan 23, 19 at 10:57 am Reason: Adding second page.
Old Jan 23, 19, 10:58 am

And I just stayed at the W-A Las Vegas and it was a $25 pp (so $50 for us) every day that could be used anywhere, anytime, for any meal.

Not a breakfast benefit if it does not even cover the lowest possible priced breakfast at the outlet they force you to use.
Old Jan 23, 19, 11:19 am

I guess this is why hotels can do what they want. Found this in Hilton’s website:

What are the new Waldorf Astoria™ MyWay Benefits?
Effective January 1st, 2018, all Gold and Diamond Members now have the ability to receive complimentary Continental breakfast (or a food & beverage credit) at all Waldorf Astoria™ Hotels & Resorts as a part of their MyWay Benefits.

It basically says they can give continental breakfast OR a food and beverage credit. Doesn’t say where or how much or that is has to be equivalent. Probably why they keep changing it at hotel. They are providing the MyWay benefit as written...
Old Jan 23, 19, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United Premier 1K
I have to admit, reading the posts about 2 people receiving upgrades to the Napua rooms makes me a bit jealous.

I also had a reward stay, terrace room. Doing online check in, I was pre-assigned to a deluxe ocean view, which made me incredibly thrilled (8th floor). When I got to the hotel, I went to the check in desk, and they changed my room to an ocean view room, chapel wing, floor 2. I asked why they couldn't honor the online check in room, and she said because they were sold out. I said, but I did online check-in, and was assigned the room by the hotel just 24 hours prior. Her reply was that there was plumbing problems in the room I was assigned to previously. I said, then why can't you move me to another deluxe ocean view, since that was what was granted on my online check-in. Her reply was that online check-in was not a guarantee to a room, they can change it if they want. Which was an annoying response.

All in all, I was grateful for my upgrade, but annoyed that I also did get a downgrade at the same time. Ironically, from the hallway of my room, I could tell that there were people staying in my online check-in room, so I question whether or not the room actually had plumbing issues.

Search this Thread