Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Birmingham Metropole {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Birmingham Metropole {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
Just to finish my review, breakfast in the main restaurant was excellent (and fairly quiet). I can't really fault the stay to be honest, fire alarm is tested on Monday mornings but at half 8 not really an issue.

I guess the car parking charge is the only frustration at this property but given the location for the Nec and airport - it's to be expected.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Paddeng
Take the courtesy shuttle to the airport and then jump on a train from there. Its a long walk thats described above in an area that is pretty isolated
Isolated is not an adjective I'd use to describe the NEC and surrounds!

Also, if getting the courtesy shuttle, get off at the station, not the airport. Otherwise you have to get the monorail back to the station.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond BA Blue
[QUOTE=stifle;19296897]Isolated is not an adjective I'd use to describe the NEC and surrounds!

+1 ^
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Just finished a one night stay and was blown away by this hotel.
I'm a fake Gold (one year perk for getting an Amex Plat in the UK), but so far have had serious upgrades for all (by which I mean both) of my stays in Hilton properties this year. Firstly a room upgrade at the Newbury North, and now this.

I booked under the current Hilton Friends and Family offer to find the cheapest room was £34.50. I had a phenomenal check-in experience: very friendly and informative and trying to help me get the most out of my stay. I was told that I was upgraded, but then we looked to see that I had been bumped up 3 levels of room. There was free water (the usual 2 bottle perk), free internet (normal), access to the lounge which had a free breakfast. Free (proper) newspaper.

Even the parking was free (although that was a mistake, which I pointed out). The only problem with the property was the parking. Although the hotel is at the NEC, it really is quite isolated. My parking space was across bridges, lakes, up steps and muddy paths. Never mind. It was worth £34.50 (+£7 parking)

Everyone was incredibly helpful and friendly. It's quite a difference to my usual diet of Holiday Inn Expresses.

Let's see if the streak continues....Hilton Terminal 5 for 2 nights from tonight.
Old May 7, 2013, 4:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Had a number of stays at B'ham Metropole between autumn 2012 and now.

Overall, I like this property, and get treated well with upgrades. However, they appear to be on a cost reduction programme (which was confirmed by staff I spoke to). This resulted in having to chase water in the room for a while (that problem has now stopped and water is in room), and also bathrobe/slippers - there appears to have been an instruction to not supply bathrobes and skippers to rooms where the guest had not paid the room supplement but was upgraded... I was always able to get hold of a bathrobe by phoning guest services, but I wasn't too impressed. Strangely, the last few weeks bathrobes appear to be back in the rooms even when upgraded.

The lounge I like for its view of the lake, the day light, and the staff, but hotel mangement appears to be looking for savings from the food offerings. They need to be careful not to undermine their excellent product which is part of the reason why I'd choose the B'ham Metro over a city centre property (the good size pool is another reason).
Old May 7, 2013, 4:42 am

I stay in this hotel at least once a week and I've noticed a few of the cost savings - I'm not complaining but they're just things I've noticed:

- Shortbread no longer included on tea-tray in rooms
- Free newspapers for non-Hhonors disappeared (the breakfast room, lobby and exec lounge used to have free copies of the "I" paper in racks, no longer)
- Robes and slippers hidden in wardrobe in exec rooms - less likely to use them I suppose reducing laundry
- Each double bed used to have 4 pillows and a cushion, now just 2 pillows and no cushion. Have to phone housekeeping for extra pillows - reduced laundry bills?
- The tray of cakes and biscuits has disappeared from the exec lounge - this use to be very well stocked!

At the same this this happened our corporate room rate dropped by £0.60, so I suppose they've passed on some of the savings to me!

The only one I'm bothered about is the cakes in the lounge, though my waistline is probably thankful!
Old May 7, 2013, 9:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

@pyronic

well observed - exactly my observations too.

one more to add to this random list: good quality bread rolls for lounge breakfast now often (strangely not always) replaced by some pretty non-inspiring looking rolls. And on the weekend they suddenly had a really nice tray of little cakes out straight after breakfast, but usually not much to munch on until afternoon tea arrives.
Also, quality of afternoon sandwich fillings has been reduced.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:42 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Avoid if function going on

Stayed last week when a local university held it's graduation ball.
Single room was small and in poor repair - wallpaper hanging off and smelling of cigarette smoke.

Arrived back at 11.30 pm and had to fight my way to the lifts through (happily) drunk students - could have been intimidating for some guests I imagine. When in my room sleep was impossible due to volume of music coming through the floor to my room. Phoned reception but 'no alternative available'.
Music stopped at 2 am and I got to sleep 20 mins or so later before getting up at 6.30 to drive 300 miles.

Reception staff unable to refund more than 50% of room rate and unable to find a manager with suitable authority. A week later I am still awaiting a final response from the hotel and Hilton 'customer care' are not interested.

A great example of how to upset a customer and damage faith in the franchise to make sure he looks to avoid Hilton hotels in the future...
Old Jun 28, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Trip Reports and Reviews

How did they let them have the music on till 2am?? Every property has some rules residents must respect, no?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If the function is large enough, I guess some hotels might prefer to annoy other guests than the function. Not saying this is what happened here, just mentioning a possibility.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:41 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
I am realistic enough to recognise that there is a much greater return from the function than my business.
I am disappointed however that a week on they have not even refunded my room rent (which was only just over £50) nor done anything coherent to acknowledge that the lack of sleep didn't exactly improve the next day or two.

It might have been a better (and more honest) approach to close the afffected rooms and refuse my reservation.

As above I will now actively avoid Hilton properties (not that it will have a great impact on their bottom line)
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

as posted in the Exec lounge changes thread -

no more afternoon sandwiches since earlier last week, with further service reductions apparently in the pipeline.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
as posted in the Exec lounge changes thread -

no more afternoon sandwiches since earlier last week, with further service reductions apparently in the pipeline.
Im in here now and its true.....no sandwichs and full of screaming kids!!!!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't push upsell to the plebs and don't give them anything for their money. It's a two way street; people expect something in return for their money. What do you get for your extra £50 now?

The hotel's badly need upsell and these are all significant efforts to help reduce it. A very foolish strategy we've all seen across the hospitality and airline industry to general failures.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
You can't push upsell to the plebs and don't give them anything for their money. It's a two way street; people expect something in return for their money. What do you get for your extra £50 now?

The hotel's badly need upsell and these are all significant efforts to help reduce it. A very foolish strategy we've all seen across the hospitality and airline industry to general failures.
im now here for the evening service.....its much better, but even the staff are slating the place.....bad vibes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.