Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Birmingham Metropole {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Birmingham Metropole {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stifle
And I've just been informed that due to low occupancy, there will be no evening reception either If I'd been advised of this in advance, or on arrival, I would not have sat around waiting for it to start until now. I'm trying to decide what compensation I should look for.
I would have been looking for £10 to £15 of bar snacks and unlimited bar drinks for 2 hours but that's just me.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond BA Blue
Thumbs up

^
I'm home from what has been a stellar stay. After an online check-in, I got to the hotel at 2pm and the room was ready. There was a generously-sized bed, nice desk and chair, sofa, glass table, an oldish TV, tea/coffee making facilities, bathrobes & slippers, and the bathroom had a separate shower and bath. Not that I spent much time there, as there's an executive lounge

Service-wise, this hotel seems to have adopted a policy of researching all the dumb policies that are applied at other hotels, and ensuring they are not in appearance. Examples:
  1. Can you have your complimentary gold/diamond breakfast in the restaurant? Yes.
  2. Can you have cooked items? Sure.
  3. What if you want cooked items but you want to eat in the EL? They're there.
  4. And if you want a Coke with your EL breakfast? No problem.
  5. Can you bring in a friend to the EL for evening drinks? No worries, just don't be silly about it.
  6. Are kids allowed in the EL after 6pm? Technically not, but if they're well-behaved, then no sweat.
  7. What if you get to the EL 10 minutes after the evening service ends? They'll sort something out for you.
  8. Would you like to use your complimentary gold/diamond internet in the EL? Why not? (although you do need your own wi-fi capable device; the two computers available are chargeable, but see the next question)
  9. Can you get a complimentary voucher for the EL computers if it's quiet? I can't answer this, for fear of getting a lounge dragon in trouble
  10. Do you want a pizza in your room/the EL/your car/the NEC? Just order it up, it'll be £6.50 and would you like that boxed?
  11. Not that hungry? Sandwiches are £3.
The last two items are possibly not always going to be permanent. Vampire Diaries had a convention in the hotel this weekend (which resulted in the hotel's public areas being thronged with girls in their teens and twenties, although not the EL or restaurant, as the convention was charging £90, plus more to take photos).

The EL is on the 5th floor and has seating for around 40. Breakfast service is between 7am and 10:30 (goes on until 11am in the restaurant), afternoon tea (including cakes, sandwiches, scones with jam and cream, etc.) from 3pm to 5pm, and evening drinks service from 6pm (not 5pm as mentioned on the hotel website) to 8:30pm, although it finishes half an hour earlier at the weekend.

Outside the above hours, the offering is fruit, cookies (complete with Hilton logo on top in icing sugar, or confectioner's sugar if you're American ), salty snacks/nuts, tea and coffee (from a coffee machine), milk, Coke, diet Coke, bottled water, tonic water, lemonade, and lemon juice, and there are jugs of other fruit juices.

The breakfast service has just about everything that the normal Hilton restaurant breakfast has.

The evening drinks service is fully self-service. Three or four varieties of hot spring rolls and similar items were accompanied by three types of cheese, crackers, various canapés, and a few other bits and pieces. Alcohol choices were Becks and Kronenbourg, red, white, or rosé wine (I didn't look at the bottles as I don't drink), port, and premium spirits (Bacardi, Grey Goose, etc.), on a self-pour basis. It did lead to some unedifying stockpiling when the lounge dragons called time, but that's hardly something you can hold against the hotel.

There is not always a lounge dragon on duty outside of the morning and evening service times, so don't rely on being able to check in/out at the lounge.

We didn't use the swimming pool, fitness facilities or the restaurant. This is a large hotel (approximately 500 standard rooms and 140 executive rooms) and conferencing/banqueting are big. Other than those items mentioned above, bar food ran to starters at around £5-7, mains at £10 for vegetarian, £14 for burgers, £16-20 for other items, and £23 for steaks, with desserts around £6. Cheaper items can be had at the NEC (5 minutes on foot) where there are several Subways, cafés, and a Wetherspoon pub, but they operate odd hours and may not open at all when there are few exhibitions on. The airport (10 minutes on foot plus another 2 minutes on the monorail) has a further selection, including Burger King and the marvellous Frankie & Benny's.

There is not one thing I woould have sought to change about my stay and the hotel engenders loyalty both to the individual property and to the Hilton brand.
Hi I stayed there too that weekend I thoroughly agree with your comments Stifle.
Just another point to add, the Lounge Dragon even turned the sound up on the TV as the England football match was on in EL. Never normally happens in other EL
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
And I've just been informed that due to low occupancy, there will be no evening reception either If I'd been advised of this in advance, or on arrival, I would not have sat around waiting for it to start until now. I'm trying to decide what compensation I should look for.
Right, this turned out to be somewhere between a miscommunication and a misunderstanding. I went up to the EL at around 6:30 and there was a notice up saying that the EL was open for computer use and relaxation only, and that breakfast was offered in the restaurant while all other normal EL offerings would be in a roped-off section of the regular bar on production of my key sleeve.

This indeed proved to be the case; a smallish selection of canapés and waiter service drinks were on offer. When I dropped by around 11am the next morning tea, coffee, and water were offered complimentary and cookies and fruit were there too.

I don't think I was advised of this structure at check-in and I was definitely not informed about it by the lounge dragon when I signed in during the scheduled afternoon tea period on Saturday afternoon. I only found out when I went to ask a different lounge dragon at around 5:30pm.

I mentioned at check-out and on my comment card that there seemed to have been some communication mess-ups along the way. I can certainly understand why they would want to do this if occupancy was low (saves on lounge dragons, and perhaps cuts down on the amount of spirits they'll burn through when people aren't free-pouring), but there were multiple opportunities for the staff to advise me of this and it just seemed to fall between the gaps.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:36 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Confused about echeck in and upgrades

I love this hotel, the pool is fantastic and treatment of Diamonds has always been good, but I have a concern.

Sometimes the echeckin does not work. I see the link, but when clicking through (after selecting arrival and departure times) it does not work.

Who is in the position to correct this? The hotel or HHonors?

Last edited by Skimanant; Jul 22, 2011 at 5:24 am
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Recent 1 night stay here.

Used OLCI as was offered a Queen Executive Room -the room was of a good size and the bathroom had a separate bath and shower.

Advised that the EL food and beverage was closed due to low activity - a small area of the main bar was roped off and over a limited selection of hors d'oevure and drinks. The EL itself was still open and had soft drinks available along with limited snacks / cookies.

Used the health club facilities for the first time - very impressive compared to most UK offerings. Very good size gym and swimming pool that were busy, along with good size steam room and sauna that were quiet -treatments were also available.

Had breakfast in the main restaurant - again very impressive, with a very good range of hot items (including a chef to make waffles, pancakes, etc.), pastries, fruits, etc.

Only negative was that I requested to check out at 12.30pm, but told it would cost half the room rate.... - also be aware that parking is now 15GBP per day

Overall, very good hotel and especially excellent value if you can get a 33GBP room as a DIA
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:11 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by mookie10
Overall, very good hotel and especially excellent value if you can get a 33GBP room as a DIA
How do you manage to get a £33 rate as a DIA?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
How do you manage to get a £33 rate as a DIA?
The hotel has some small Single rooms that have the cheapest rate of 33GBP on quiet days at the hotel - with a DIA upgrade then you normally get a Deluxe or Exec Room upgrade ^
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond BA Blue
Just checked out from 2 night stay. Exec Lounge service was in the bar area last night therefore draught beers were available complimentary (bonus).
Saturday night EL opened due to high demand (roped off area in bar too small)

Was only charged 7gbp per night for parking.

Think one of reception staff is new as my friend asked for late check out, he was also told it would cost half the room rate.
However when i asked a different member of staff i was given complimentary checkout until i wanted to leave which ended up 1700
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:09 am

Well they just put their already extortionate bar prices up!

The cheapest 250ml glass of wine is up from £8.30 to £9.60

As I spend at least 2 days a week in this hotel I'm glad of the few new dishes on the lounge menu but the drinks prices are just obscence.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Hilton bars aren't known for being cheap! I suspect it's another good reason to get Gold or book an Executive room.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:30 am

Yeah I'm lucky in that i'm Gold so do get lounge access but they close the bar at 8:30 in the EL.

Maybe I'll have to skip the gym session after work to make sure I can take full advantage!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's been known to be intense stockpiling take place at 8:25!

And if you arrive 5-10 minutes late, the lounge dragons will look after you.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:40 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
upgrade from single room as gold.

title says it all. Likely? Reliable?
ta
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:12 am

I stay in this hotel on a weekly basis, but as work is paying I'll only plump for a Single room if there is no availability of the large rooms. In fact, our hotel booking system usually won't offer the if there are doubles available.

Your chance of an upgrade really depends on how busy the hotel is, and it does get busy during the week. Even though there's round 800 rooms it's next to the NEC, and a business park. Often I don't get an upgrade to an executive room even when I've booked a double.

Points to consider:

- if there's a large show on at the NEC you're most likely out of luck
- check if doubles/executives are available for the dates you're interested in, if they're not shown you've no chance
- if its a weekend or the NEC is not hosting a show, I'd say you have a good chance
- my company have between 50 to 100 people staying, mostly diamond, tuesday and wednesday nights every week. I know diamonds (as I am still Gold) get priority
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:48 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Pyronic

Thanks for the very useful reply. Nothing between singles and suites the night I've booked...might have to look for a plan b!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.