FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Birmingham Metropole {GBR}
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:41 pm
stifle
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by stifle
And I've just been informed that due to low occupancy, there will be no evening reception either If I'd been advised of this in advance, or on arrival, I would not have sat around waiting for it to start until now. I'm trying to decide what compensation I should look for.
Right, this turned out to be somewhere between a miscommunication and a misunderstanding. I went up to the EL at around 6:30 and there was a notice up saying that the EL was open for computer use and relaxation only, and that breakfast was offered in the restaurant while all other normal EL offerings would be in a roped-off section of the regular bar on production of my key sleeve.

This indeed proved to be the case; a smallish selection of canapés and waiter service drinks were on offer. When I dropped by around 11am the next morning tea, coffee, and water were offered complimentary and cookies and fruit were there too.

I don't think I was advised of this structure at check-in and I was definitely not informed about it by the lounge dragon when I signed in during the scheduled afternoon tea period on Saturday afternoon. I only found out when I went to ask a different lounge dragon at around 5:30pm.

I mentioned at check-out and on my comment card that there seemed to have been some communication mess-ups along the way. I can certainly understand why they would want to do this if occupancy was low (saves on lounge dragons, and perhaps cuts down on the amount of spirits they'll burn through when people aren't free-pouring), but there were multiple opportunities for the staff to advise me of this and it just seemed to fall between the gaps.