Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Birmingham Metropole {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Birmingham Metropole {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2003, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TonySymons:
Thanks ..

Stakis reminds me of Newbury North (rundown).
</font>

In fairness (why?), perhaps I should have added that the hotel has had a new wing built since the Stakis days, and the Living Well health club/pool is well spoken of. (haven't used it myself, too busy .)
Old Jul 12, 2003, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
There are singel rooms in the Met Hilton. When the place was built in the mid 70's the block on the right hand side (as you look at the property from the front) was called the Warwick hotel, the main block was called the Metropole. The Warwick was a down spec place, not much different from todays UK Travel Inns. On the 2/3 floors there are still single rooms - no bigger than a prision cell - and yes they do have single beds. When there is a big show at the NEC these rooms are sold for a £100+ a night. The deco in some rooms in the main block are still as they were when the place was built. There are good rooms, mostly in the new wing also I noticed on a recent stay that bedroom refurbishment was going on the 3rd floor of the main block. I used to get room upgrades when I had a silver card, but since I have had a gold card I get the 1970 decor rooms. In general - like most UK Hiltons - the place is not very good and very expensive.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 7:06 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Well after the feedback here I chose to stay at the Hilton Northampton .. turned out to be another Stakis but not too bad at all.

Even got a polite apology from the receiptionist that she could not upgrade me to 'the' suite as 'it' was taken.

Lobby, bar and outside terrace very pleasant, large room with double bed on the non smoking HHonors floor (nothing special).

With 12 weeks of my contract to go up here I suspect I'll return although it's a bit too far from were I'm working.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 6:57 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Any new updates on the Birmingham Hilton? I'm also looking for info on Hilton Warwick and Hilton Coventry (treatment to Diamonds, amenties, distance to restaurants/nightlife).
Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:24 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Birmingham UK

We were pleasantly surprised with our stay. On arrival given the best rooms; club floor; box of chocolates plus some gorgeous other yummy things and told as there was no executive floor we could use the little printed voucher they gave us for as many beverages as we wanted for the main bar plus room service or main restaraunt breakfast. Excellent.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:13 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Presumably, you are referring to the Birmingham Metropole.

Looks very tired from the outside, as you say no exec floor or club room, but the voucher for free drinks in the main bar is a nice touch. Gym not bad as I remember. We were treatd to a drunken shouting match between two female wedding quests ... kind of puts the location in context. What a snob
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Hilton Birmingham Metropole

I just finished a stay at this hotel last week and was treated very nice as a Diamond. I was upgraded to a big suite on check-in (seems to be a lot of suites at this property), given free room service breakfast every morning and free newspaper. When I had problems connecting to the internet in my room, they gave me a free pre-paid card to use my laptop in the lobby. Service was excellent. The wall mounted air conditioning was a little noisy and the furnishing were a little worn but I was happy with the stay.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:40 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I agree - I have stayed there several times this year and have to say I liked it. Facilities are good. I have tried several other hiltons in the area and this was by far the best of the lot.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:13 am

Programs: A Gold, BD Silver, BA Club Platinum Royal Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold
Great news - I am staying there on 29/04

Thanks for the reviews ^
Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:16 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
I guess my stay there was tainted as there was a wedding on the evening of our stay (to which we weren't invited!!), and then in the morning there were a lot of hung-over wedding guests - two of which, both women, proceeded to have a fight in the hotel lobby, accompanied by lots of swearing and encouragement from the other wedding guests.

What a charming bunch
Old Jun 19, 2006, 5:10 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Hilton Birmingham Metropole stay review

I just got back from Birmingham, UK. Stayed there in a Hilton Birmingham Metropole ^ . Short conclusion is that it is fairly good hotel but not very well integrated in the Hilton family. I’d say it has decent 4* rooms, much larger than average UK hotel room ^ . Room was a bit usually designed and was very new. Room had a smell of new furniture and “Divan assembly instructions” manual under the bed. Room had very nice and bright bathroom with bath and separate shower. I had two beds and a sofa. I would return to the hotel in case something brings me to Birmingham again.

I didn’t get:
- water or fruit with a rate inclusive of breakfast;
- lounge access;
- welcome letter from the manager;
- HHonors check-in/check-out, staff didn’t use that position at all;
- pre-assigned room key (on a fully prepaid stay). Check-in guy did everything manually and it took a while;
- king bed as confirmed, got two beds instead;
- low floor (1) instead of high as in my HHonors profile.

I believe I got two extras:
- crown room instead of metropole room. It looked from the signs that it might be better than the other;
- dinner on the 2nd night. I arranged this in e-mail with hotel due to my late arrival. Clueless check-in guys on the first day in a way supported me with that :-)

I checked in Friday late. Two check-in guys didn’t have a clue about UK Latest offer inclusive of dinner. They said that perhaps I just need to go there and have a dinner. Next morning I got the voucher for the dinner and it explicitly says that voucher shall be presented before dinner otherwise full charges will apply. I’m glad I was clever enough to double check as otherwise it would cost around 25 GBP. Hotel has a lounge but no access for HHonors diamond. Staff said “Sorry sir, no. We are currently working on that”. Upon check-out I asked how long they are in a Hilton chain. Lady went backdoors to get the answer and responded that around 6-7 years. I’m not sure what they are actually working on, it more felt like a polite way of saying “Nope. Full stop, end of story”. BTW, it is also not so easy to get on the courtesy bus. I failed for the check-in day and took a taxi for GBP 6. There's a hard to notice telephone and one should call to be picked up. Courtesy bus does NOT automatically go to airport and back twice an hour as mentioned on the internet.

Meals were tasty. Breakfast was classical Hilton’s breakfast with eggs cooked live. Dinner was a bit special on deserts. I particularly liked the cheesecake. It wasn’t the same New York’s cheesecake but very very delicious. Pricing is odd – 1 l of bottled water costs more than 5 GBP and a tap beer in the pub adjacent to the restaurant cost 2-3 GBP. I noticed there were more experienced customers that came to the restaurant with their own beer, i.e. bought in a pub.

I also enjoyed gym and pool. Both were just great. I was eager to use these facilities after buffet lunch the day before ;-)
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:37 pm

Stayed there in April and hotel was completely full because of a large show next door at the NEC. I was upgraded to a very nice suite but the room and furniture were very dated. You were probably in a renovated room if everything was very new. I was told they didn't have a lounge and to use the lobby bar. I did get free room service breakfast every morning.

You are so right about the "hidden" telephone for the courtesy bus. I had to get directions twice to find it and it was behind a pillar at the Departure side of the terminal.

Thanks for a nice detailed review. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:14 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Room was definitely very new. I didin't get free room service breakfast. Did you ask for it?

Regarding lounge they said that there's one on the 5th floor. Didn't check.

BTW, are there actually two buildings at the hotel?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:35 pm

I was offered the free room service breakfast at check-in without asking. Maybe others can advise whether there is a lounge or not. I think you are right about the two buildings. My room was accessed from the elevators behind the check-in area, next to the Business Center.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:20 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I have stayed several times and am not aware of a lounge. BUt I have always got a "privilege card" which gives you unlimited free drinks at the bar next to the lobby - even for companions!!! So when drinking with me colleagues we all got free drinks!

I only ever had breakfast in the restaurant - quite nice and always in the rate.

The Crown Rooms are definitely nicer than the standard rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.