Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Birmingham Metropole {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Birmingham Metropole {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Are there still scones in the afternoon?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 2:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Scones: Yes. And one cake of some sorts. And that appears to be the offering. In addition to that you appear to get families that take advantage of the advertised £50 upgrade fee to Exec level (they loudly discussed this fact), and fill their pushcars with drinks from the fridge before departing from the lounge.

I appear to get more and more maintenance issues in the rooms as well - this time it was deemed acceptable for me to occupy a room where 2 of the spot lights were hanging freely from the ceiling, and of course, again, no water in the room or a bathrobe. Alarm clock's time was out by 35mins. And staff can easily be found to be, well, let's say questioning management, as reported by wizla.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
Scones: Yes. And one cake of some sorts. And that appears to be the offering. In addition to that you appear to get families that take advantage of the advertised £50 upgrade fee to Exec level (they loudly discussed this fact), and fill their pushcars with drinks from the fridge before departing from the lounge.

I appear to get more and more maintenance issues in the rooms as well - this time it was deemed acceptable for me to occupy a room where 2 of the spot lights were hanging freely from the ceiling, and of course, again, no water in the room or a bathrobe. Alarm clock's time was out by 35mins. And staff can easily be found to be, well, let's say questioning management, as reported by wizla.
yep, spot on there treppenlaeufer!.....except no scones!...... we arrived at 3pm....booked a queen executive and thats what i got (no upgrade)....room ok but tired....went to lounge for afternoon tea and found two slices of cake left, no scones, no teabags for tea, no sugar????....lounge wasnt even staffed....... full of screaming kids playing on the computers and yes folk filling their bags with coke and lemonade ......small kids fingering the cake and then no wanting it......list goes on and on.....IT WAS DISGUSTING!..felt sorry for some chap trying to work on his laptop.
Went for a sauna ( great swim/sauna facilties), had a walk around the lake and then went to the lounge for canapes and wine.......whilst the offerings were very good (chicken kebabs, sweet potato nuggets, and a good cheeseboard) again this was marred by children in the lounge missbehaving......admittedly not as bad as the afternoon but still annoying...... whats most annoying is kids are not allowed in the lounge during the acohol service ( this is stipulated on the door!), however the staff simply didnt care and turned a blind eye......i got chatting to an employee later and she told me she disliked her job and Hilton were not nice employers to work for and they have a huge staff turnover because of this......trust me it showed!!!.
I used to love this hotel and the lounge used to be awesome when "kay" and her team ran things......she has walked out after they cut her hours and its now not worth the upgrade fee.

Last edited by wizla; Aug 27, 2013 at 9:44 am
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It sounds like the property is being run into the ground
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Darn! I have a couple of days booked here mid-September. Hope the child pestilence reported is a result of it being summer holidays, and it will be business as usual come then...
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by flyingnomadic
Darn! I have a couple of days booked here mid-September. Hope the child pestilence reported is a result of it being summer holidays, and it will be business as usual come then...
It could be just that mate.......let us know how you get on .
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Guys, I object to the term "child pestilence".

Not all children- or accompanying adults are the same, and my children certainly behave very well when in executive lounges, including the Birmingham Metropole. They are involved in my conversations, they stay at the table to eat and drink, they are polite to other guests, we normally take a laptop to use so the computers are not tied up.

I have seen adults behaving inappropriately in lounges, and have also met some very nice people in lounges, I have seen the cramming of drinks by some which I certainly do not agree with, and I would also go as far as to say I have seen some children in lounges who behave better than some adults.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by stifle
It sounds like the property is being run into the ground
I stayed in this property over the weekend and would totally agree with that
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond BA Blue
[I used to love this hotel and the lounge used to be awesome when "kay" and her team ran things......she has walked out after they cut her hours and its now not worth the upgrade fee.[/QUOTE]

I use this hotel a lot and was sorry to hear Kay was leaving as . She said to my wife and I that the standards were dropping and they were upsetting their most loyal guests with the amount of cost cutting.

Lets hope things change before its too late. This hotel has a very high turn over of staff which I guess says something in the way its run
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Skimanant
Guys, I object to the term "child pestilence".

Not all children- or accompanying adults are the same, and my children certainly behave very well when in executive lounges, including the Birmingham Metropole. They are involved in my conversations, they stay at the table to eat and drink, they are polite to other guests, we normally take a laptop to use so the computers are not tied up.

I have seen adults behaving inappropriately in lounges, and have also met some very nice people in lounges, I have seen the cramming of drinks by some which I certainly do not agree with, and I would also go as far as to say I have seen some children in lounges who behave better than some adults.
hi mate, I very much agree, there are some very well behaved children that I have come across on my travels too......I think its just a shame not all are as well behaved as your children are, I don't wanna kick a hornets nest here but it is so annoying when they scream and touch food.....but yes some adults can be bad too.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
I stayed in this property over the weekend and would totally agree with that
was it you I chatted to in the lounge sat night?????
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:19 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by wizla
was it you I chatted to in the lounge sat night?????
No, I was there Friday night.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
No, I was there Friday night.
ok...... come to think of it ive got my dates wrong, I was at Hilton docklands sunday night and Hilton Birmingham Metropole Monday night......the bank holiday threw me !.....my fault.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat
From reading this thread, I guess I knew what we were in for when I booked, but just to confirm the experiences of others:

No water or bath robes in an exec room.
Very clear sign stating that children were not allowed in the Lounge after 6, but was completely ignored. A couple were very well behaved so no problem, but a few screaming babies and young kids running around so felt a bit like feeding time at the Zoo and didn't stay long (food and drinks selection was ok though).
Asked about late checkout (as HH Gold) but was told it would be chargeable due to high capacity the following night (but still capacity if I was willing to pay).
Wifi coverage was very patchy in the room.
Pool etc fine and breakfast was pretty good - succeeded in not overcooking soft boiled eggs, which many hotels fail at!!
No upgrade despite Suites being available a checkin, but guess they might have been assigned to diamonds so didn't say anything.

Finally in what I thought was a nice touch I got a text from the Guest Relations Manager prior to arrival, offering assistance if required. Unfortunately my reply was completely ignored!!
Old Sep 1, 2013, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by cloud-nine
From reading this thread, I guess I knew what we were in for when I booked, but just to confirm the experiences of others:

No water or bath robes in an exec room.
Very clear sign stating that children were not allowed in the Lounge after 6, but was completely ignored. A couple were very well behaved so no problem, but a few screaming babies and young kids running around so felt a bit like feeding time at the Zoo and didn't stay long (food and drinks selection was ok though).
Asked about late checkout (as HH Gold) but was told it would be chargeable due to high capacity the following night (but still capacity if I was willing to pay).
Wifi coverage was very patchy in the room.
Pool etc fine and breakfast was pretty good - succeeded in not overcooking soft boiled eggs, which many hotels fail at!!
No upgrade despite Suites being available a checkin, but guess they might have been assigned to diamonds so didn't say anything.

Finally in what I thought was a nice touch I got a text from the Guest Relations Manager prior to arrival, offering assistance if required. Unfortunately my reply was completely ignored!!
haha, i could've wrote those same words..... was we there at the same time? (mon 26th aug-tues 27th).....i got a tex too, i asked about sandwiches at afternoon tea and if they were provided as i heard on here they are not.....yup- no reply!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.