Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Guam Resort & Spa {GUM}

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2003, 6:02 pm

Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan HiltonHhonors Diamond, Northwest Gold
Just to put it out there, here's the email I got back from the hilton guam gm several weeks ago.

"Located on the western end of picturesque Tumon Bay, Guam's major tourist center, the Hilton Guam Resort & Spa sits on 32 acres of
prime beachfront property adjacent to the Ypao Beach Park. The hotel is comprised of 2 main buildings, the Magalahi Tower and the
Magas Building housing a total of 587 guest rooms and suites.

Dining & Entertainment:
Caffe Cino - 24 hours Cafe
Islander Terrace - Serving international cuisine
Roy's Restaurant - Euro Asian cuisine
Roy's Lounge - Bar with life entertainment
Tree Bar - outdoor scenic bar serving drinks
Tropics BBQ - outdoor dining featuring local BBQ favorites with
cultural show

Fitness & Recreation
Resopa Park with 3 swimming pools & Jacuzzi
Private Beach
Beach activity center
5 nightlit tennis courts
Fitness Center full equipped and sauna
Jogging and nature walks
Kidz Paradise
Mandara Spa

For the summer period, i.e. May 15 to August 31, 2003 we have a special offer for Hhonors members called the Tropics Package including accommodation for 2 persons, welcome drink, daily Hilton breakfast buffet, one evening Tropics BBQ with cultural show, all inclusive Resopa activities including tennis and fitness
facilities and additional 1000 HHonors points per stay! The rate per night is US $ 180 + 11% tax with a minimum stay of 4 nights. The special
offer can be booked under plan code PJ.

Doesn't sound taht great compared to the other deals. Anyway, the gm can be reached at [email protected]

Old May 26, 2003, 3:42 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kawoh:
I don't know if anyone has considered this, but a bird has told me that the Marriott (4), Holiday Inn (3) and Nikko (2.5) are all listed hotels on priceline in Guam, so you could potentially grab the Marriott for a bargain instead of paying full rate,
[This message has been edited by kawoh (edited 05-24-2003).]
</font>
Priceline HKG only lists 4 star property(s)for Guam.

Old Sep 14, 2003, 3:49 am

Does anyone know if the exec lounge is open. I will be arriving at 1:30 AM - will the shuttle be operating?
Old Oct 5, 2003, 12:09 am

I just called Guam and the answer is Yes - there is a 24 hour shuttle service and the executive floor is open.

[This message has been edited by davistev (edited 10-05-2003).]
Old Oct 5, 2003, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G

It's good news that the executive lounge is finally repaired. However, the free breakfast buffet was a nice alternative to the lounge when I stayed there in August. They also gave me drink coupons at the outside bar.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 6:47 am

I just got back from a long weekend in Guam. The executive floor is open but not the lounge. I have a feeling there is a shortage of skilled labour on the Island because it is taking forever to get this lounge open again.

To tell you the truth, I am not sure if it is a priority. The Hotel is looking very rough but business looks like it is good.

P.S. The free shuttle has a sign in the window that says the charge is a $5 charge per person each way. I asked the driver point blank about this and he said it was complimentary. I think they should take the signs out the vans.

Construction on the road out front is now in its third year!
Old Feb 16, 2004, 2:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Guam update... Feb 2004. This was not a holiday destination for us, but rather a stopover en route to a dive holiday in Yap and Chuuk states to let luggage catch up, deal with time lags, etc. so we could dive confortably.

The Hilton is huge, on spacious grounds - and in some places looks a bit worn and in need of a coat of paint. Staff is very helpful, though a few speak minimal English. Internet access is available at a cost though the business center in the bowels of the hotel (near the Spa.) Shops are mainly oriented to Asian tourists, the largest outlet is good ol' DFS, with some soft drinks and munchies, no books or magazines.

On our two-night stay there were no Executive rooms available for upgrades due to Chinese New Year's, so as Diamond guests we were upgraded to a extremely nice Paradise Suite , great views, nice accomodations, Jacuzzi, etc. with bottle of wine, biscuits, chocolates, fruit basket, welcome letter, water, etc. We were granted a late departure (for our 19:40 departure to Yap.) Rate was $135 from hilton.com.

On our dayroom stay (CS - Air Mike in from Yap at 05:14, out to Chuuk at 19:40) was OK - for $100 we were given a room on the HHonors floor, very adequate and clean - except for some mold growing on shower walls. We used the Exec Lounge for breakfast.

The Executive Lounge is open, and staff are friendly - breakfasts are quite good. Size is cramped - get there early for brekkies or be condemned to sit on the stairway to eat! Evening snacks and booze also OK. The A/C works more than well - you can get chilled, and the windows are often covered with condensation. (Read on for breakfast alternative.)

Genji's Japanese and Dynasty, the premium Chinese restaurants are CLOSED, though you may see them advertised in brochures, etc. Genji's is expected to re-open, but Dynasty appears to be done, and another restaurant operator is sought, as I understand it. Roy's is open, and though it is said to offer some of the Genji and Dynasty dishes (e.g. Peking duck) it generally doesn't - though the food and service are still pretty good.

Islander Terrace downstairs is largely buffets, varied daily, and can get very crowded. HHonors elites can get courtesy breakfast buffet here in instead of the Executive Lounge.

The Tree Bar outside is nice and has decent snacks (and San Miguel beer). It is often partially closed for wedding receptions, birthday parties, etc.

This Hilton is heavily booked by Japanese and Taiwanese groups and wedding parties, and it would seem many of these folks have not been out of Japan or much education. It can get... boisterous. The USD - JPY exhange rate facilitates this - Guam prices are a HUGE bargain compared to Japan.

If you don't have a car, there is a number of free or low-cost shuttle busses to main shopping centers, but the stop is poorly signed and information is minimal until you get a timetable on board. Taxis are expensive, and on Guam, locals look at anyone who walks as certifiable (we enjoy walking - but undoubtedly get written off as tourists.) As has been mentioned, the Hagatña Weds eve market is good for a gander.

Area security is fair - the hotel is next to a public beach and picnic area used for parties, etc. yet anyone can access any part of the hotel with impunity.

The courtesy van to/from Antonio B Won Pat International was free to us (the driver was waiting with a "Hilton" card at the entry to the arrivals lounge) now charges $5.00 due to the airport charging the courtesy vans -drivers are uneven about enforcing this, but more signage and training will change this, according to GM Manfred Pieper.

I just received an e-mail from the manager, who was very responsive to my evaluation. It's nice to know somebody's listening and takes the time to reply.

Hafa adai, JDiver

[This message has been edited by JDiver (edited Feb 19, 2004).]
Old Feb 16, 2004, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I just returned from Guam and stayed at the Hyatt on the other side of the Bay. I had stayed at the Hilton last summer. While a complete trip report is in the Hyatt folders here, I have to say that the Hyatt is far much better than the Hilton. Both properties are recovering from the typhoon damages they suffered over the last few years... but I felt that the Hyatt was in much better shape than the Hilton. I also found that Hyatt treated its elites better than the Hilton. In any event, I've found Tumon Bay to be getting better with time --the typhoon damage is disappearing and construction along the highway near the coast is making some progress.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 11:43 pm

The best hotel on the Island is the Westin. I have stayed at the Hilton many times because of the free shuttle, free breakfast and reasonable rates. But if if you want luxury - then you can't go wrong with the Westin and Hyatt.

Stay clear of Pacific Island Club (PIC)- it is full of packaged tourists and constant noise over the loudspeakers (music) and the lifeguards are like prison wardens. By all means, rent a car and drive to the most Northen point of the Island to see a fantastic beach. Pure white with cystal blue waters (ex Anderson AFB property - pristine condition).

[This message has been edited by davistev (edited Feb 16, 2004).]
Old Feb 17, 2004, 9:06 pm

How far is the Hilton from the Marriott (they're both on Tumon Bay, I gather)?
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by davistev:
The best hotel on the Island is the Westin. I have stayed at the Hilton many times because of the free shuttle, free breakfast and reasonable rates. But if if you want luxury - then you can't go wrong with the Westin and Hyatt.

Stay clear of Pacific Island Club (PIC)- it is full of packaged tourists and constant noise over the loudspeakers (music) and the lifeguards are like prison wardens. By all means, rent a car and drive to the most Northen point of the Island to see a fantastic beach. Pure white with cystal blue waters (ex Anderson AFB property - pristine condition).

[This message has been edited by davistev (edited Feb 16, 2004).]
</font>
Agree, the Hilton is a nice hotel, but certainly not "luxurious".

RE the other post: The Marriott is actually relatively close to the Hilton, the Hilton is out at the end of Tumon Bay (off the main strip) and the Marriott is one of the next few hotels down the road (on the main strip of tumon bay).

If anyone is looking for things to do - Wednesday nights are always fun in the capital - Hagatna - where they have a night festival/night markets - food, shopping, traditional dancing. The gray line trolleys head out there with the last one leaving just before it ends.

[This message has been edited by kawoh (edited Feb 17, 2004).]
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:07 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Thanks for the update, JDiver. I'm on my way to Guam at the end of March (along with half of Japan as it's Spring Break), and your comments will come in handy.

In past years I've stayed at the Westin, Outrigger, Onward Resort and PIC (both with large waterparks), and this time will try the Hilton.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by davistev:
Stay clear of Pacific Island Club (PIC)- it is full of packaged tourists and constant noise over the loudspeakers (music) and the lifeguards are like prison wardens. </font>
I have to agree that the PIC "clubmates" can be pretty commandeering at times, but I think this is what works with the Japanese/Asian guests. I've learned to either ignore it or let them know my intentions, and then they're cool. I've liked PIC because they have a "kid's club" that takes care of the kids, leaving the parents to have some time to themselves. (We went to PIC for years in a row because my kid just wanted to take part in this club).

And I have to second kawoh's recommendation. "Wednesday nights are always fun in the capital - Hagatna - where they have a night festival/night markets - food, shopping, traditional dancing." Just don't drive there, as it's really hard to find parking (We were lucky ).

Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, NWA Gold, UA Prem Exec, Starwood Gold
Guam Hilton Trip Report

First of all, I'm grateful Guam was not affected by the earthquake/Tsunami yesterday, but have spent the day trying to contact my friend in Phuket. No luck as of yet so I thought I'd write a report on the Hilton where I'm currently staying, to keep my mind off it.

HHGold automatically upgraded to Executive Floor(with lounge access, apparently some executive floor guests do not have it) room 1375,other than a suite probably the best view in the hotel. Had to take a smoking room in order to get it though. However, no traces of smoke in here except the pack of matches on the patio. Free highspeed internet on executive floors(12 and 13) which is nice. Room is adequate, nice bathroom, bit old overall. Staff are good overall but somewhat no frills. For example, we checked in around 1 am and carried our own bags, which I normally do anyway, but usually there is someone around to offer to help.No big deal for me, perhaps for others....

Executive lounge is extremely small and understaffed with an adequate breakfast and good evening tidbits. However evening drinks are from 530 to 7, the shortest I've ever experienced. There is literally 1 person working the lounge and they are sent up from the fromt desk so don't expect the service you would receive at other executive lounges. However, to the staff's credit, the 2 women I met working there worked extremely hard and remained cheerful throughout. Apparently they will be knocking down the wall and expanding the lounge into one of the suites across the hall. The sooner the better, but they are on island time.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would come back. But if you want luxury on Guam, the Hyatt and Westin are better options. By the way, I booked a prepaid rate of 75 bucks a night so I am not complaining at all. Very much worth it.

We're off to the airport now(free shuttle for HHonors VIPS I think),next stops, Cairns Shangri Las, Conrad Treasury Brisbane, Hilton Brisbane, Conrad Junipers Gold Coast, Hyatt Sanctuary Cove, Cairns Hilton...all in the next 13 days!!! Will do my best to report on all.

Happy Holidays and a warm thought for all affected from recent tragedies, and their families.

Cheers,
Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:32 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
46long,
I've been here at the Guam Hilton for several days now. If I'd known you were here, we could've gotten together for drinks in the lounge. Oh, well...another time, perhaps.

Everything you mentioned about the Hilton here is spot on. I would like to add that not only is the lounge small, understaffed, and with just a 90-minute evening drinks period (as you mentioned), but that it's hard to find an open seat during that time. It appears that this is because many of the guests treat this as dinner and fill up their plates and stay much of, if not all of, the available 90 minutes. Hopefully, something will be done by the next time you or I stay here.

I hope your friend is OK. Enjoy the rest of your trip, and thanks for the report!

DoubleJ
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Free Drinks?

In addition to the perks you mention, does the Hilton continue to provide for free drinks? In my last stay there (last March I think), I also got 2 drink vouchers for the poolside bar ...and also an invitation to a manager's reception at the same bar which included an additional 2 drinks. After 4 complimentary pina coladas, I'm not quite sure how I was able to get back up to my room

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.