Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors Gold versus Hilton Honors Diamond: What Are the Differences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors Gold versus Hilton Honors Diamond: What Are the Differences?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Diamond force awards seem to be a benefit, but I have yet to try if this is really true?

Last edited by Rambuster; Dec 29, 2006 at 12:21 pm
Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Diamond force awards seem to be a benefits, but I have yet to try if this is really true?
It's true. Trust me.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:43 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
I can attest to better upgrades even at places like a double tree.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:12 am

Programs: DL Plat, CRC, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Priority Club Gold
Guaranteed reservations

My favorite is the no black-out & forced reservation for sold out hotels. I just got a room in the Daytona Hilton that was totally sold out for Spring Break. Love it.

Travel Safe
Old Dec 29, 2006, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
As I diamond I should the upgrades you do not get as a gold. If there are only a certain number of rooms for upgraded accomodation available, guess who will get these?!
I am not sure this is always the case, quite often it seems to me upgrades are given on a first come first served basis, so in London an early arrival with a Gold often trumps a Diamond. This is incredibly annoying, but happens a lot in my experience.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 9:40 am

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I am not sure this is always the case, quite often it seems to me upgrades are given on a first come first served basis, so in London an early arrival with a Gold often trumps a Diamond. This is incredibly annoying, but happens a lot in my experience.
This is my experience also. I have been travelled with a gold, who checked in just in front of me and received the last uprade room available. This has happened two or three times.

In my opinion, you get most of the benefits for being Gold in the Hilton program. Hence I will only have requalified for Hilton Gold come April, but I am now SPG platinum.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I was told by the Hiltons in MUC, FRA and BER that they process the upgrades on the day of arrival or the day before and I believe this - it even shows up online.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:42 am

Programs: United-1K, Hilton Honors-Diamond, Starwood-Platinum
My travel is mostly to the Hilton's (Palmer House, Hilton Chicago, Hilton Garden Inn) in Chicago and I notice almost no difference between Gold and Diamond.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:58 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
If you are staying domestic then it is a minor difference but if you are staying at international properties then it can be a much bigger difference as I am always upgraded (typically the morning on the day of arrival) to the executive level. I value this as someone that eats breakfast and drinks alcohol daily. I honestly can not think of one instance in which I have not been upgraded to the exec level at an international property. If that changes and I know there are threads suggesting in Europe at least that may be in jeopardy then I will just go priceline and buy my own breakfast and drinks.

I have used the Diamond force but usually can schedule my award stays without the need for it but it is a nice feature. I do feel like the customer service from the Diamond Desk is also a very nice perk (I know some complain about it but it works for me) as they have done a lot for me over the years. I hardly every use the Diamond force on room stays as the rate is usually too high to justify.

I think the difference really depends on what locations you are staying at.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, NW SE, WN, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Here is the case for Diamond:

Called the Hilton reservation number and asked for a stay at a downtown MSY property for later that night. No availability anywhere, period. All hhonors properties are sold out. Would I like a room in Metarie?

So I hang up and call Diamond Desk: 'I understand what you want. Let me give this to a concierge and she'll call you right back.' [ring] 'Hello, Mr. Nutz. We have you at the Riverside Hilton for $189/nite.'

'Uhm, can you make that an award stay?'

'Sure! Just a sec. 55,000 points.'

'Uhm how about the Hampton Downtown?'

'Sure, award or revenue?'

'Er, Award?'

'OK. 45,000 points. No need to download a certificate, I'll just make the arrangements with the hotel.'

'Rightous. Thanks!'

Case closed.

I would have to agree with this. I was trying to get a room in Memphis shortly after Hurricane Katrina. A loat of people have evacuated to Memphis, but I was able to get a room through the Diamond desk. Otherwise, your upgrades will still be spotty, just not as infrequent as Gold.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
I've been a Diamond now for several months. No tangible impact on my revenue stays--same kinds of upgrades, same kinds of treatment as when a Gold. However, as NeverAtHome wrote, it's all about reward stays: the Diamond desk is squeezing me into a property where there would otherwise be no rooms available from HHonors points usage. Terrific!

(If you're into better treatment and upgrades, then Starwood's Platinum is MUCH better than their Gold.)
And InterContinental Royal Ambassador / PC Platinum is the best in terms of perks ... having been HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum. Of course the RA benefits are only for the flagship IC hotels, but if you stay at those, you get free minibar, free suite upgrade and/or business room with club privileges, free movie, free gift such as a bottle of wine, free fruit basket, 8 am checkin privileges, 4 pm checkout privileges, guaranteed room if sold out, etc. I'm much more about the treatment and upgrades than the availability of free nights.

As my local pizza parlor's box says "You've tried the rest ... now try the best"
Old Jan 7, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
And InterContinental Royal Ambassador / PC Platinum is the best in terms of perks ... having been HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum.
I assume you mean Hyatt Diamond, no?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:09 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
The key might be Royal Ambassador which is by invitation only from what I recall.

PC Platinum w/Ambassador has been less than helpful to me over a 2 year period. At the IC in Israel with two co-workers who had no status we all received the same rooms next to each other. I never had any special treatment what so ever and have now dropped PC from the hotels I frequent.

Originally Posted by vsevolod4
And InterContinental Royal Ambassador / PC Platinum is the best in terms of perks ... having been HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum. Of course the RA benefits are only for the flagship IC hotels, but if you stay at those, you get free minibar, free suite upgrade and/or business room with club privileges, free movie, free gift such as a bottle of wine, free fruit basket, 8 am checkin privileges, 4 pm checkout privileges, guaranteed room if sold out, etc. I'm much more about the treatment and upgrades than the availability of free nights.

As my local pizza parlor's box says "You've tried the rest ... now try the best"
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:15 pm

I see little difference between gold and diamond, except being able to get a room in a sold out hotel. With Starwood Plat I was frequently upgraded to some really great suites, but as a Hilton Diamond I never got a suite. If I go down to gold it will not be a real loss.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:52 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
depends

i think that everybody has to find out how many nights in average he/she will stay in hotels.
i know that i will stay around 130days or more a year in hotels, so can easily qualify for hilton diamond and spg plat etc.

but others might only stays 30nights per year in a hotel, in this case hilton gold is the best choice if you dont stay too much and want good perks.

as a gold i could do the same things as a diamond and never had problems, so gold with hilton is nice.

dp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.