Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors Gold versus Hilton Honors Diamond: What Are the Differences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors Gold versus Hilton Honors Diamond: What Are the Differences?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmillette
No Blackout? Not true. I have been Diamond status with Hilton Honnors for some time now. I just tried to book 3 reward nights for the end of August and they do not have them. So I went online and booked the room as a non-reward - I will cancel just before the deadline since my Marriott Gold got me the 3 reward nights in that city. Hilton Honnors is only great if you need a single reward night and not during prime vacation times. I find it to be the least accommodating program. After this last incident I am going for the top Marriott status and do not care if I completely opt out of the Hilton
Hmmm.

The Diamond Desk has, in the recent past, been able to get around the "no availability" by booking the room, and then converting to an award stay. This was for a 4-night stay. They'll even pay for it, if necessary.

Unless the hotel really digs in, they are usually successful. Of course, actually sold out means actually sold out, and there's nothing even Conrad himself can do in that situation. But in general, once I made diamond a few years ago all my award stay problems just melted away, which is why I, too, will spend a lot of bucks on gas and hours on the road just to ensure I keep the status.

YMMV, but I'm a happy camper.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 11:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Hilton Gold - CSR told me that it gives you expanded award access - is it true?

A few days ago, I (as a HHonors Gold member) requested 2 nights at the Hilton San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf Hotel for Aug 29 and 30. I was able to get the award.

However, the CSR told me that if I had been a HHonors Silver member, or a basic member, I would not have access to the award inventory.

He said, that until a few months ago, the extra award inventory in hotels was limited to Diamond members. At that time, this inventory was expanded to include Gold members. Can someone confirm that statement, and clarify how far does the access to the award inventory for Golds now compare to that for Diamonds?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: HH diamond
I really hope that Golds are NOT included in the forced awards availability. That was basically the only meaningful difference between the two levels. It would basically make becoming diamond meaningless. If a force is being used, that means the award inventory is already low and we diamonds may be shut out by golds for the rooms. This is esp disturbing since diamond must be earned whereas golds is just handed out freely.

However, the CS agent may have been talking about award blackout dates. There are no blackout dates for gold and diamond. The no blackout dates is a relatively new benefit for gold (past year or so). Still blackouts for silver. But there is supposed to be unlimited award availability for diamonds as long as there is an eligible room except extraordinary demand times and non-participating hotels, e.g Maldives. This was never the case for golds and the main distinguisher between the two esp since no priority seems to be given to diamonds for upgrades.

Maybe it's time to rethink hotel loyalties.

Last edited by travelinfoo; Aug 18, 2007 at 3:21 pm
Old Aug 18, 2007, 7:08 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Here is the case for Diamond:

Called the Hilton reservation number and asked for a stay at a downtown MSY property for later that night. No availability anywhere, period. All hhonors properties are sold out. Would I like a room in Metarie?

So I hang up and call Diamond Desk: 'I understand what you want. Let me give this to a concierge and she'll call you right back.' [ring] 'Hello, Mr. Nutz. We have you at the Riverside Hilton for $189/nite.'

'Uhm, can you make that an award stay?'

'Sure! Just a sec. 55,000 points.'

'Uhm how about the Hampton Downtown?'

'Sure, award or revenue?'

'Er, Award?'

'OK. 45,000 points. No need to download a certificate, I'll just make the arrangements with the hotel.'

'Rightous. Thanks!'

Case closed.
Originally Posted by NeverAtHome
The Diamond Desk and no blackouts on any reward reservation. Worth every extra stay it takes to get that status.
[QUOTE=1K-SFO;1188588]I've been a Diamond now for several months. No tangible impact on my revenue stays--same kinds of upgrades, same kinds of treatment as when a Gold. However, as NeverAtHome wrote, it's all about reward stays: the Diamond desk is squeezing me into a property where there would otherwise be no rooms available from HHonors points usage. Terrific!

(If you're into better treatment and upgrades, then Starwood's Platinum is MUCH better than their Gold.)[ /QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Zip
As a Diamond, when HH "squeezes" you in for an otherwise nonavailable award, is it at the full point redemption rate? Do they ever do this for Point Stretchers?
Diamond for two years here. Numerous last minute stays due to business needs and stranded at airports due to WX cancellations. The diamond desk has saved me in EVERY situation. For example, during the Feb. 14th blizzard this year when even the diamond toll-free number was swamped I presented myself as a walk-in at a Doubletree property (the location of which shall remain nameless for reasons you shall see) only to be told "no room at the inn" even after I presented my pearlescent HH Diamond card! Asked if they could at least comp me wireless access in the lobby while I tried to find something, somewhere. Begrudgingly, I was given an access key for the wi-fi. Plunked my tired (had already been on a redeye) body down and booted-up the laptop but also connected my nearly drained cellphone to AC and got in the queue for the diamond lone. 35 minutes later, an angel answered my call. "You've been through what? You're where? In the lobby? And they told you what? Just a moment Mr. COplt(HH Diamond) I'll be right back." Now mind you, I was still within clear view of the front desk staffed by three agents, a supervisor, and a manager who popped in and out, all of whom were aware of my plight. After 5-10 minutes or so, the platinum rep. came back to the line. "Mr COplt(HH Diamond), thanks for your patience. Just go back to the front desk, everything has been arranged and I even blocked the room for two nights in case you get stuck there another night."

If that isn't worth (re)qualifying for HH Diamond, what is?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 8:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
I really hope that Golds are NOT included in the forced awards availability. That was basically the only meaningful difference between the two levels. It would basically make becoming diamond meaningless. If a force is being used, that means the award inventory is already low and we diamonds may be shut out by golds for the rooms. This is esp disturbing since diamond must be earned whereas golds is just handed out freely.

However, the CS agent may have been talking about award blackout dates. There are no blackout dates for gold and diamond. The no blackout dates is a relatively new benefit for gold (past year or so). Still blackouts for silver. But there is supposed to be unlimited award availability for diamonds as long as there is an eligible room except extraordinary demand times and non-participating hotels, e.g Maldives. This was never the case for golds and the main distinguisher between the two esp since no priority seems to be given to diamonds for upgrades.

Maybe it's time to rethink hotel loyalties.
The Hilton Honors web site indicates this is the access to award availability for Gold members

Enjoy HHonors Hotel Rewards without Blackout Dates
Effective May 1, 2006, Gold VIP members may redeem points for HHonors hotel rewards nearly any time, with the only exception being during specified Extraordinary Demand Dates at certain hotels. To make reservations for your reward stays, please contact 1-800-HHONORS (1-800-446-6677).

PS-I find it hard to believe that Wed. Aug 29 and Thurs, Aug 30 (even at Hilton Hotel, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco) would be considered as blackout days. However, how would a Gold member get access to these 2 nights (as I have), when a Silver member (or basic member) would not get access to these 2 nights?

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; Aug 18, 2007 at 9:30 pm
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:56 am

Thankfully, it does not appear Golds have the forced awards benefits!

FlyerGoldIII,
Did a dummy booking for your dates. The SF Fisherman's Wharf has online award availability. No force needed. Diamond Force is only available thru the DD and is marked as such on the site for the involved hotel. Don't know what the CS agent was talking about with silver vs gold awards. I can only assume that your dates may have been blackout dates for the silvers for whatever reason. It is right before Labor Day weekend.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Thankfully, it does not appear Golds have the forced awards benefits!

FlyerGoldIII,
Did a dummy booking for your dates. The SF Fisherman's Wharf has online award availability. No force needed. Diamond Force is only available thru the DD and is marked as such on the site for the involved hotel. Don't know what the CS agent was talking about with silver vs gold awards. I can only assume that your dates may have been blackout dates for the silvers for whatever reason. It is right before Labor Day weekend.
Two weeks ago, I was still a silver member. I did not see at that time any availability online for this hotel, for the dates I mentioned. I then acquired Gold membership, and within a few days of the new status, I called HHonors directly (without reviewing the availability again online). The agent told me that the availability in this hotel on those dates at the time of booking was only available to Diamond and Gold members; it was not available to Silver or basic members. Either he is right, or new availability has developed for all HHonors members (at this hotel, on the dates indicated) since I initially reviewed the availability online 2 weeks ago.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 2:35 pm

So, mystery cleared up.

As Silver, you would have been subject to blackout dates and the dates you wanted must have been blacked out. So no award availability when you looked online. As gold/diamond, there are no blackout dates which is what the CS agent was telling you. Blackouts apply only to silver/basic, not to gold/diamonds. Since there was still award availability for golds/diamonds, you got your award. If you had looked online as a gold, you would have seen award availability that was not present for you as silver. You would have been able to book online so it was not a forced award.

There is a difference between having no blackout dates (gold/diamond) which means you can get an award any day of the year as long as the award inventory is there and having no limits to awards (except with excp demand and hotel non-particip) - diamond only benefit, which means getting an award anytime a room is available, even if normal award inventory is gone. As Gold you are limited to award inventory. In your situation, award inventory was still there. You just couldn't see it when you looked as Silver but the CS agent could see it for you when you were Gold.

Sorry, it does not sound like the forced awards have been extended to golds (thank goodness!).

Last edited by travelinfoo; Aug 19, 2007 at 2:41 pm
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: miles and more , hilton diamond
Hello Trojan Horse,
would you maybe know how many nights are requested for keeping up the Diamond status once it has been uptained? I spent 60-70 nights p.y. in the last years, but this year only about 40 nights. Will I keep my Diamond status next year? I would be grateful for an answer.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:36 pm

did you get my question Trojan Horse? It flew in under page 17!
Old Nov 3, 2007, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
bodi, have you checked the Hilton site?

Since there are multiple ways to earn status, of those 40 nights, how many "stays" did you have?
Old Nov 3, 2007, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
bodi, have you checked the Hilton site?

Since there are multiple ways to earn status, of those 40 nights, how many "stays" did you have?
I stayed and slept for 40 nights.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by bodi
Forgot something - I haven't checked the HH site. But I once phoned the main office in the UK, and the lady on the phone said that I needed 60 nights every year in order to maintain my status! I find it hard to believe.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

Do you know the difference between a "stay" and a "night"?
Please read this thread: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...what+is+a+stay

Forgot something - I haven't checked the HH site. But I once phoned the main office in the UK, and the lady on the phone said that I needed 60 nights every year in order to maintain my status! I find it hard to believe.
Please check the website so you can familiarize yourself with the different elite levels. Educating yourself on the Hilton Honors benefits, will help you out in the long run. We can only help you so much, but you have to do your part. Below is the qualification information to maintain diamond status.
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/diamond.do

Diamond VIP Membership
To Qualify
During any consecutive 12-month period you'll need to complete 28 qualifying* stays or 60 qualifying* nights at participating HHonors hotels. You'll earn Diamond VIP status after earning 100,000 Base points in any consecutive 12-month period. Of course, you can still qualify based on your number of qualifying stays or nights.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

Do you know the difference between a "stay" and a "night"?
Please read this thread: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...what+is+a+stay

Please check the website so you can familiarize yourself with the different elite levels. Educating yourself on the Hilton Honors benefits, will help you out in the long run. We can only help you so much, but you have to do your part. Below is the qualification information to maintain diamond status.
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/diamond.do
Thank you very much for your answer cheap elite. I have read the page now and I think there must be something else to it. Why do I have a Diamond VIP card (got it in April 2007) valid until April 2009? They can't know wheather I will stay at the Hilton family at all this and the coming year. Consequently, I think there are hidden rules.
I know the difference between stays and nights. I have been a member since 2001 and only had few stays with many nights each.
My experience is that in the Far East (Conrad Bangkok for ex.) the Diamond status provides you with an executive room with benefits no matter what you paid for in your booking. And in Europe and the Middle East that is not always the case. Half the time they would say that there is no upgrading available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.