Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors Gold versus Hilton Honors Diamond: What Are the Differences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors Gold versus Hilton Honors Diamond: What Are the Differences?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2004, 7:07 pm
Community Director Emerita

Hilton is highly likely to give you a Diamond challenge if you ask. I forget the exact requriements - it is slightly more stays in a 3 month period than than prorating the year, if I remember - but it sounds as though such a challenge should be easy for you.

IMO, Diamond is valuable if you have will have international stays in 2005. It is not worth it if you strictly stay within the US. (I am Hilton Diamond.)
Old Oct 6, 2004, 7:44 pm

Agree with "nwr1txg"... I went out of my way a little to become Diamond this year, but for "normal" travel and stays, I don't see any significant benefit above Gold. If I can see my way free to book some awards while I'm Diamond, I think it might make a difference. But as for difference between Gold and Diamond for a normal trip... not a big deal.

That said, I was able to get Diamond by getting 2 stays per trip (minimum), where I stayed one night at the airport upon arrival, then stayed in town for the remainder, Also, there are plenty of areas where 2 or three Hilton properties are almost adjacent. In general, I do try to max my stays if possible... but Diamond vs. Gold for most stays is overrated.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:58 am

Programs: AC*SE; HH*Silver; SPG Gold
Depending on what your personal needs are, I would have to say yes based on the experience I just had. Senorita_jefe and I just decided to take a little 2 week vacation in Italy...for the last 2 weeks in October. A call to the Diamond line secured us 3 nights at the Cavalieri with nary a problem. This despite the website clearly saying that the hotel is blacked out during the time of our stay.

Point being, if you are prone to taking last minute vacations, Diamond status can be a life (and wallet) saver. Other than that, can't say anything else that Diamond offers is worth a significant amount of effort to achieve.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It depends on your travel plans for next year. If you are looking at only six stays at Hilton's next year, then no, it's not worth it. If you are looking at another set of four nights a week, then maybe it's worth it.

If all the stays are at Hampton Inns, then the benefits won't be great. If they are at the Waldrof, then it may make a huge difference in the rooms you get.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood gold
Originally Posted by senor_jefe
A call to the Diamond line secured us 3 nights at the Cavalieri with nary a problem. This despite the website clearly saying that the hotel is blacked out during the time of our stay.

Point being, if you are prone to taking last minute vacations, Diamond status can be a life (and wallet) saver. Other than that, can't say anything else that Diamond offers is worth a significant amount of effort to achieve.

Just for the record, I got 2 rooms at the Hilton Cavalieri, Rome this August for 6 nights each using Hhonors and being a mere silver member.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
If you fall into either one of these categories, it's worth it:

- At least 1/3 of your stays at upscale Hilton properties where upgrades are actually possible; or
- Plan on redeeming a chunk of your points at properties next year

I fall into Category 2, as I don't like to have more than 300,000 Hilton points at any point in time, so I tend to burn whatever I earn on free stays (which count to the 16/28 mark). I'll requalify as Diamond again during 2005, then I'm planning on dumping all of those 300,000 points on a long vacation in 25-30k chunks in 2006 and will drop back to Gold.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did a lot of hotel hopping this year, and will make diamond on stays next week. The reason I decided to do this was because I am going to Paris next month with Mrs. Skyman, and wanted her to get some special bennies with me being a diamond.

I have already decided that I will not continue this lunacy next year. Either I make it the standard way, or I don't. It has been difficult. On the other hand, I have sampled many different properties this year, and have a better idea of which ones I like, and which ones I'll pass on.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:34 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
FWIW, I was gold for about the last 5 years, qualified as Diamond late 2003. I never thought I would really need/use the bennefits. I turned out to be wrong. I agree with most of the above posters have said re: your stay situations. If you stay at some of the nicer properties, it can be VERY valuable. I found it to be a major bennefit while in Paris.

I have also found the Diamond line to be exceptionally helpuful. Especially when I was scheduled to start a GLONP2 (honneymoon) in Paris 1 day after the Arc Hilton was supposed to open. The hotel had major water damage, and with about 2 days notice the Diamond desk secured me a GREAT room at the Hilton Paris, with a dynamite view of the Eiffel tower. Can I say for sure that would not have happend as a gold or silver, no, but I am glad I did not have to risk it. A parking lot view would not have made me happy. Also, due to a Bump on the way over to Paris (It was worth it, even on a honneymoon) the Diamond desk rebooked my stay in Paris even before I had my bump vouchers in hand .

I have been upgraded at least 80% of the time. Either to suites, or nicer rooms / better location (in the hotel).

The ability to force your way into a hotel in a sold out city even came in handy once.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:58 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm a Diamond newbie after making 28 stays in 29 nights. We'll see if Diamonds are a guy's best friend when I try to make an ALON2 rezzie for HWV in January.
One hint that Diamond helped was during a Sept. stay at the pre-strike SF Hilton. The room was small and noisy. They found room for me in a quiet suite. Would that have happened as a Gold. Dunno, but glad I didn't have to find out.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 7:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH Gold,Mariott Silver, Hertz President's Circle
it's worth it. SPG will comp you status to their Plat. status. Think of it as a double treat. I do not know however if any other chain does this or not?
Old Oct 7, 2004, 7:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by frank8040
it's worth it. SPG will comp you status to their Plat. status. Think of it as a double treat. I do not know however if any other chain does this or not?
Don't forget that SPG will only do the comp ONE time, and one time only. Time it right!
Old Oct 7, 2004, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, MR Platinum
I'm new to FT, but the comp benefit from SPG is something I wasn't aware of. I'm doing a search for specifics, but any posts as to personal experience or how to do it would be appreciated.

KCEG
Old Oct 7, 2004, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KCEG
I'm new to FT, but the comp benefit from SPG is something I wasn't aware of. I'm doing a search for specifics, but any posts as to personal experience or how to do it would be appreciated.

KCEG
Do a search on the SPG board, but it consists of mainly faxing a copy of your latest HH Diamond statement plus the back and front of your Hilton card to their Platinium Desk.
mike
Old Oct 7, 2004, 9:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE; HH*Silver; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SAGA
Just for the record, I got 2 rooms at the Hilton Cavalieri, Rome this August for 6 nights each using Hhonors and being a mere silver member.
Not to be a status jerk...but were you able to do it a week before your trip and during a "blackout" period? If so, maybe Diamond really isn't worth it for me.

Regardless, congrats on securing what seems to be a relatively difficult reward. ^ Any tips for my stay there?
Old Oct 7, 2004, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by senor_jefe
Not to be a status jerk...but were you able to do it a week before your trip and during a "blackout" period? If so, maybe Diamond really isn't worth it for me.

Regardless, congrats on securing what seems to be a relatively difficult reward. ^ Any tips for my stay there?
I think you are looking for " a problem" were none exists. Believe me getting an award at this property must most often involve the Diamond desk. I attempted two months ago to get two reservations for MARCH 05 and both had to go through the Diamond desk the first they able to confirm immediately, the second was " Diamond force " which took a week to confirm ( after telling me it was most unlikely ) and deducting the points immediately from my account upon the comfirmation. The rate listed for a no show is 795 Euro. per night.

mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.