Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Metropole {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2001, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Is it standard for the Metropole to upgrade Gold VIP members like this?</font>
IMHO, absolutly not.

This is first and foremost a convention hotel. Your upgrade success rate depends mainly on if there is a convention booked, how many attendees, other load factors and your particular length of stay (shorter stays more likely to get suites).

But having said that, it's been my experience and that of many other reports I've read here, that this hotel usually treats Golds fairly well.

Access to their Executive Lounge is a particularly nice benefit, no matter what type of room you get.
Old Oct 5, 2001, 7:12 am

Yes - I was certainly surprised. What was quite interesting was the lack of a data port in the entire suite.. to check my email I literallly had to unplug the phone from the wall - fortunately I also had one of those RJ-11 to UK style phone plug adapters.

Also, I found the breakfast lounge (Fiama) quite nice.. I used to stay at the Marriot Marble Arch which is on George and Edgewater, and roughly the same price.. The Hilton Metropole is MUCH nicer in my opinion.

Old Oct 5, 2001, 7:32 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DOC 2 BE:
The New West Wing has the better A/C.</font>
You don't have to worry at A/C in London at this time of year!!!!

Old Oct 5, 2001, 10:31 am
DOC 2 BE

GAZA --

I know that you are a UK resident and frequently travel to London, BUT, I was there in July and it was sunny and in the low to mid 80's (F), while the week before I arrived, it was in the 50's and rainy.

Thus, one can never know how will it turn out, but I agree that generally in the Fall, it will not be needed, UNLESS you are an A/C lover, like me, who likes to sleep with a couple of blankets on top of him!

Old Oct 9, 2001, 3:42 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DOC 2 BE:
I was there in July and it was sunny and in the low to mid 80's (F), while the week before I arrived, it was in the 50's and rainy.</font>
You can't beat the British weather!!!

Old Oct 9, 2001, 4:44 am

Yep .... terrible one day, miserable the next.
Old Jan 26, 2002, 12:07 am

Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX AA PlatPro, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum,
London Metropole

Who all has stayed at this property recently? Where do I want to stay in the hotel? West Wing? Suite? Club Room? How are the upgrades? Lounge? Best room to stay in - easy to get to from tube?
Anything special for HH Diamond Members?

Etc. . .

It is appreciated!

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2002, 9:46 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Do a search on "Metropole"..there is much info.
Old Jan 26, 2002, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To save you searching, a quick response:

1) Westwing rooms are good, nice and new, just ask for a room viewing the city or you are going to get a room overlooking the uninteresting part of london

2)Yes, there is a lounge, take one of the atrium lifts, first floor turn right, it looks like a regular room but is 3 rooms converted into a lounge. Exec checkin, drinks and snacks

3)As for diamond perks, I don't know, I am only gold but when on a decent rate I usually get some kind of upgrade e.g. from standard to club or business.

4) Most rates include breakfast so usually no hassle for vouchers etc... The breakfast is very worthwhile, don't miss it

5) Tube access is EASY, Bakerloo etc.. stop outside, just 1 minutes walk

6) From paddington to the hotel (if you are coming off the LHR express) is simple, leave the main entrance and walk RIGHT, you will see the hotel at the end of this road, about 7 minutes walk, if you plan to take a cab be prepared for a bit of a detour, the ride is pretty short so offer a "tip" in advance...

7) If you are there long enough try ASPECTS, the 22nd floor restaurant (highest in London), lovely food and a great view...

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited 01-26-2002).]
Old Jan 26, 2002, 12:22 pm

Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX AA PlatPro, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum,
I thought the metropole had only 10 floors? It has 22 floors?

Breakfast - is it better in Lounge (continental) or downstairs (full english) - I have my choice of the 2.

Is a club room better than a king room in west wing?

Anyone been in a suite?
Old Jan 26, 2002, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the Metropole from 1/11 to 1/13 for the recent FlyerTalk pub-crawl and I found the staff to be accommodating and friendly. It was much nicer than when I was last there two years ago, having successfully metamorphosed from its humble Stakis origins.

I tried out three different rooms were there, two in the newer West wing and a suite in the older, more classically decorated, East Wing. The decor is quite different in the respective wings so which you prefer is a matter of taste. Most of the West wing (club) rooms are purported to be somewhat larger but the older executive rooms will afford you with more convenient access to the lounge.

The exec lounge was actually closed for the holidays through most of my stay but I was able to enjoy a great smoked salmon breakfast on the morning of my departure. It seemed like a very attractive space so I am looking forward to an opportunity to enjoy it in the future.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAdvantageGuy:
I thought the metropole had only 10 floors? It has 22 floors?

Breakfast - is it better in Lounge (continental) or downstairs (full english) - I have my choice of the 2.

Is a club room better than a king room in west wing?

Anyone been in a suite?
</font>
Yes, 22 (maybe even 23) floors, they are in the old original tower that made the Metropole before it was a Hilton. As for breakfast, use the one downstairs in Fiamma, it is the best
Old Feb 9, 2002, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
London Heathrow to Hilton Metroplole

I'm taking a trip to London with my family, wife & two teenage daughters, landing at Heathrow Airport. What would be the best way to get from the airport to the Hilton Metropole? We will all have one full size suitcase and a day-pack.
Old Feb 9, 2002, 10:25 pm

As you exit from customs, look for signs indicating Heathrow Express. Take the express which takes you non-stop in 15 minutes to Paddington Station. Exit the station and head east on Praed Street. It shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to reach the Hilton Metropole on the corner of Praed Street and Edgware Road.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 9, 2002, 11:23 pm

With 4 people, wouldn't the express be like 80 pounds? Wouldn't a cab be cheaper? Or just take the tube.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.