Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Metropole {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2002, 8:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AccorHotels finished, Honors Plat, MeliaRewards Gold, SPG dead, AF Frequence+ forever
I also had great memories of this lounge... especially the afternoon tea with scones, cakes, etc... All this gone?
Old Jul 19, 2002, 10:42 am

Shucks--My family and I are there beginning 23 July for a 6 day award stay--I was looking forward to the lounge as well.

But I guess if we get a full English breakfast, that will be OK.

Maybe we will see you YYZFLYER.
Old Jul 20, 2002, 4:55 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canista:
IMO this “refurbishment” business is just a by-word for low season... easier to close the lounge and wait for the business traveller back in September!</font>
According to the lounge staff they are carrying out refurbuishment and some "structural" works. They freely admit that it was closed at New Year due to the absense of business traffic. According to the GM their forward bookings for the next few months are excellent and they have a lot of conferences booked.

At the GM's cocktail party they also told us that they are having problems recruiting trained staff. Closing the lounge and using its staff on the front desk will no doubt help.

Roll-on 2nd September!
Old Jul 20, 2002, 5:39 pm
DOC 2 BE

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
According to the lounge staff they are carrying out refurbuishment and some "structural" works. They freely admit that it was closed at New Year due to the absense of business traffic. According to the GM their forward bookings for the next few months are excellent and they have a lot of conferences booked.

At the GM's cocktail party they also told us that they are having problems recruiting trained staff. Closing the lounge and using its staff on the front desk will no doubt help.

Roll-on 2nd September!
</font>
That HOTEL has a problem recruiting trained staff. On the other hand, the Lounge staff were fine. Perhaps they are shifting them to make up for the deficit elsewhere!

Old Jul 25, 2002, 3:07 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
The Metropole have updated and clarified what is on offer in the letter that you get at check-in.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">This will entitle you to complimentary breakfast in the Fiamma restaurant.

During the day, you and one of your guests are entitled to complimentary soft drinks and water.

During the hours of 18:30 to 21:00, you and one of your guests are entitled to open bar.</font>
I suspect the clarification has come about through misuse of the open bar!!
Old Jul 25, 2002, 11:35 am

Where's the "deluxe" room at London Metropole?

After reading the threads, I'm confused. Booked a deluxe room with two queen beds and a pull out couch. Anyone know where these are located? New or old section?
Old Jul 26, 2002, 2:02 am

I'm 99% certain these will be in the new West Wing.
Old Jul 27, 2002, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
The New West Wing and the room is also refered to as the "family room".
Old Jul 31, 2002, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ski Ag-'82:
Shucks--My family and I are there beginning 23 July for a 6 day award stay--I was looking forward to the lounge as well.

</font>
Sorry we missed you, but decided to cancel our stay at the Metropole and extend at the hotel we were booked at for the previous two days (another chain that begins with M).
Old Aug 1, 2002, 4:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ski Ag-'82:

</font>
Sorry, did not see your post. I was back in the Metropole on Tuesday & Wednesday night. Nice weather on Tuesday but bloody awful on Wednesday!! Good old British summers!
Old Aug 2, 2002, 8:48 am

We had a pleasant stay at the Metropole--only problem was that it took 3 1/2 hours to get our room ready--we arrived at 11:30 am and waited around.

We were on the 8th floor in the West wing on an GLON award, and were given a letter for the drinks and the full English breakfast in the Fiamma. That was definitely worth it as they allowed all 4 of us (my two boys included) the breakfast. The boys enjoyed the pool and we met several very nice people there--though not ft'ers. Overall, we were pleased with our experience there.

We will likely go back again for another holiday, and as my company has now stopped using a particular hotel (not to be named!!), looks like I'll get to stay at more of the London Hiltons in the future.

[This message has been edited by Ski Ag-'82 (edited 08-02-2002).]
Old Sep 11, 2002, 9:28 am

Walk from Paddington Stn to Metropole?

I'll stay at Hilton Metropole in London. The access guide says it is within walking distance from Paddington Station, which I can see on the map.

The train from Heathrow would be a faster transportation but would you walk from Paddington Station to the Metropole with a suitcase at 9pm? Or would the Hotel Link bus a better solution?

Thank you for your input.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aleph08:
would you walk from Paddington Station to the Metropole with a suitcase at 9pm?</font>
It's only a 10-minute walk, but with a suitcase bigger than a rolling carry-on a cab would be a better choice. It should be under 5 Pounds.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:43 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
To avoid a very unfriendly reception from the taxi driver - as he will have been waiting on the rank for some time no doubt - i'd walk it. It really is not very far.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:59 am

The alternative to walking from Paddington is to take the Hammersmith and City line to Edware Road. When you get off HEX. Do not go towards the main concorse but go back against the main flow of people i.e. towards the direction the train came in from. Ahead of you are some stairs. This will take you to the Hammersmith and City line. It is one stop. When you come out of Edgware Road station you will see the Metropole Hotel directly across the main road. A cab is slightly easier and quicker, but as GK says, expect some abuse from the Cabbie!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.