Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Metropole {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2001, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i've had good stays and bad stays at the metropole, but the staff has almost always been spotty... exceptional service from one, horriffic from another.

but i find the 24-hours maintenance comment rather odd, given the fact that i was told (last november) that there was no one in the hotel to fix a voicemail message problem over the weekend and i would have to wait from friday to monday to retrieve my messages.

as for movies, any hotel front desk clerk has the right to reverse any movie charge for any reason whatsoever... the firms that supply in-room movies have a very liberal policy on this... in exchange, they keep a very high percentage of the fee charged guests... you'd be surprised at how little the hotel actually gets.

[This message has been edited by UK Stages (edited 05-27-2001).]
Old May 29, 2001, 1:57 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
I stayed at the Metropole a couple of months ago. Check-in was a bit chaotic and I was having difficulty in getting my point over to the non-native English speaking check-in agent about Gold upgrades. Eventually I was given a room and pointed in the rough direction. The Metropole is so huge they should issue you with a map and compass. After a getting in the wrong lift and wandering around the floor I though my room was on I bumped in to a Porter who sent me back to the lobby and around to a different set of lifts.

My room was in the new wing. The first thing I noticed on inserting the key card was the door swung open automatically. "Very neat" I thought. However, on entering I soon found out why it opened automatically. It was a fully equipped for someone in a wheelchair. Everything was at low level. I went back down to reception and explained to the same check-in agent that the room was unsuitable. This took another 5 minutes of explaining the problem before she agreed to move me rooms. The second room was large, comfortable and for the price and location good value.

At reception I had given up asking about Exec Lounge access and decided to speak directly to the lounge staff. On returning to the lobby I asked the porters where the Exec Lounge was. I was met by blank stares. Eventually I found someone who could tell me where it was. The lounge attendant was very good. He admitted me without problem and even entered a message on the computer to ensure I received free breakfast.

My experience was mixed. Good room, good lounge staff. Unknowledgeable check-in and Portering staff. Would I stay there again? Probably.

Old Jun 3, 2001, 6:09 pm
ed

I am HHonors Gold and just returned from a 6 night GLON stay at the London Metropole. I have to agree that the service is not up to Hilton standards.

We were supposed to have newspaper delivery each morning and we didn't get it 2 out of 6 mornings. The first time, I told the front desk clerk and she said she didn't know why we didn't get it as it was in the computer. The next time (2 days later) the clerk said the computer didn't show we were to get newspaper delivery.

We didn't get a wake up call one morning that we had requested the night before. Two other times I had to go to the front desk to ask for a wakeup call because there was no answer when dialing operator or the wake-up call number- it rang a few times and then we got a strange sound.

At check-in, I asked for upgrade and was told none was available because the hotel was full (can't complain about that if it's true). I then asked about breakfast and was told our award didn't include breakfast. I said I meant the breakfast for HH gold and the clerk had to go ask someone else and then said we could go to the Executive Lounge on the 2nd floor (so I wonder what was the 34th floor lounge that an earlier post mentioned). The 2nd floor lounge is hard to find as there are no signs.

On a positive note, the location is great because it's one block from the Edgeware Rd. underground stations with direct access to 4 underground lines, and an easy walk from Paddington where the Heathrow Express goes to.

Old Jun 4, 2001, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed in the metropole on friday and was quite happy, after staying in Sheratons up till now..

Did an internet booking and got a GBP130 rate incl. breakfast in a "business" room on the 22nd floor, pretty small room but all the stuff I needed (duvets instead of dreaded blankets..). I spent last week in the Thistle Tower (never again...) and am certain that I will use the metropole again, I have no status with Hilton (yet) but compaired to the other hotels in London this one is OK. Just be carefull with edgeware road at nights, we went out quite late and the crowds were not all friendy...
Old Jun 4, 2001, 9:08 am
DOC 2 BE

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
I stayed in the metropole on friday and was quite happy, after staying in Sheratons up till now..

Did an internet booking and got a GBP130 rate incl. breakfast in a "business" room on the 22nd floor, pretty small room but all the stuff I needed (duvets instead of dreaded blankets..). I spent last week in the Thistle Tower (never again...) and am certain that I will use the metropole again, I have no status with Hilton (yet) but compaired to the other hotels in London this one is OK. Just be carefull with edgeware road at nights, we went out quite late and the crowds were not all friendy...
</font>
Try signing up for the EWRDC FAST!!!!

Although it has "technically" expired, some report that they have been signed up AFTER its expiration date of 6/1/01.

Reward for doing so:

1) Instant Gold; and
2) Opportunity to obtain a total of 50,000 bonus points after 4 stays, with increasing numbers of points awarded for each uccessive stay.

Old Jun 4, 2001, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! Although I could proably have got a comp over from *wood this promo worked and I got enrolled to gold vip... I will certainly do the 4 stays, great promo!
Old Jun 12, 2001, 6:15 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Stayed at the Metropole again last night as it was very convenient.

Check-in was good. Upgraded to Executive room without asking. Room was reasonable size. I decided to go for a walk and returned to the hotel at around 10:00 p.m. When I got back to my room I could hear a loud knocking noise. At first I thought it was amourous neighbours in the next room but then I realised there was no room next door! It appeard to be coming from a locked cupboard. I telephoned guest services and received an abrupt "we'll send someone along". 15 minutes later noone had come. Called Guest services again and received the same abrupt response. After about 20 minutes someone from maintenance arrived. "Problem with the plumbing. Air in the system. Nothing we can do tonight." I telephoned reception and they arranged to have me moved. As there were no Executive Rooms left I was allocated a Business Room. The porter arrived and took me to 22nd floor. The key did not work! He used the master key and advised me to go to reception and collect a replacement. By this time is was 11:15 p.m. Went down to reception. It turned out the porter should have taken me to 21st floor and not 22nd!! Key was coded and I went back to the room. Once again the key did not work! By know I am on the verge of a sense of humour failure! The receptionship coded the key and this time came with me. Success!

Good start let down by failures later.
Old Jun 12, 2001, 6:34 am
DOC 2 BE

Gaza:

What is the difference, if any, between an executive room and a business room, and which is more "deluxe," and in what way?

Further, were you in the "new" wing/section of the hotel?

Thanx!

Old Jun 12, 2001, 10:37 am

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
Changing reward room at London Metropole possible?

I reserved a twin room for a fall reward stay at the London Metropole. Recently we have a third person joining us and we need three beds. Should I advise Hilton of this need ahead of time or should I just show up and ask for a rollaway. I am willing to pay extra for the rollaway, but do not want another room. Do thet have rollaways at that hotel. Anybody with a similar experience? Your advice woulbe appreciated.
Old Jun 12, 2001, 11:00 am

Programs: KLM Platinum, BA Gold, ex-HHonors Diamond, Starwood SPG Gold (ex-Platinum), StarChoice
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Lurch:
I am willing to pay extra for the rollaway, but do not want another room. </font>
Don't know for this particular hotel, but extra beds are usually possible, even in regular rooms?

What do you mean that you don't want an another room? An upgraded room could be more spacious? Either way I'd let the hotel know that you'll be three persons, and inquire about their recommendation (extra bed in same room og availability of upgrades).
Old Jun 12, 2001, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You may want to find out if there is a charge for the 3rd person even if you do or don't get an extra bed.
Old Jun 12, 2001, 11:36 am

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
Andersja, when I said I did not want another room, I meant that I did not want to have a second room. If I am upgraded (I am gold), I would not complain, but I don't want to rent a single room for the third party.
Old Jun 12, 2001, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most hotels will only add an exra bed after you arrive since most do not know what exact room you will be staying in. Be certain you get a room in the tall "new" tower, I believe it is the West wing. The rooms are much larger there and will easily accomodate that extra bed.

MisterNice
Old Jun 13, 2001, 7:39 am

An Executive room is larger and gives access to the lounge. Both rooms were in the original part of the hotel. I've stayed in the new wing and the rooms were bigger.
Old Jun 13, 2001, 7:43 am
DOC 2 BE

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
An Executive room is larger and gives access to the lounge. Both rooms were in the original part of the hotel. I've stayed in the new wing and the rooms were bigger. </font>
Thanx for the heads up -- I will be there in July for a conference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.