Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Helsinki Strand {FIN}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:23 am

Despite mixed reviews of this hotel, I booked a hotel stay at the Strand earlier this month. As it turns out, I really like this hotel and its location is not as bad as some have indicated. As mentionned before, it's about an easy 10 minute walk to city centre. The hotel's lounge is nice with good selection of snacks and drinks. As a Diamond, they gave me access to the lounge even though I did not stay on the Executive floor. I would go back to this hotel again when I'm in Helsinki.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 2:18 am
mtn

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Bad changes in Strand

I stayd again in Hilton Helsinki Strand in November. They have made some bad changes affecting Diamond VIPs.

In the past Diamonds had some free in-room goodies. Diamonds used to get Pringles potato chips, a metallic box of candies and a bottle on wine plus a small snack which was brought to the room in the evening. If there stayed two persons in the room, both of them got a small bottle of wine and a snack.

Now all of these goodies are gone. I asked about it at the reception. I was told the Hilton chain does not insist the hotel to offer this kind of extra touch so they don't offer it anymore.

It is sad that Srand has downgraded all special amenities they used to have. The only thig still left is Dammenberg chocolate in room.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:20 pm

Any recent experiences at this property? Do they still go with the new Hilton policy "sorry, Executive Floor is completely booked"? Almost three years since the last post here on FT!

Thanx
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:01 am
mtn

Hilton Helsinki Strand has got better. They have enlarged the executive floor. Nowadays there are some executive guest rooms also in the 6th floor. In total the hotel has 42 executive rooms (previously 30) which makes diamonds likely to get upgraded on every stay.

Hilton Strand has also changed the lounge access policy so that Diamond Vips have access to the executive lounge even if they don't get upgraded. Nowadays there is strong alcohol in the lounge also during the weekends.

As Scandic is not a member of Hilton family hotels any more there are fewer HHonors Diamond Vips in Scandinavian countries. This makes it easier to get an upgrade in Scandinavian Hilton hotels.

Hilton Strand has downgraded many benefits. In the past they offered Diamond Vips an evening snack delivered in room. It included a small bottle of red wine. They don't offer it any more. There are no complimentary Pringles chips in room any more. They also downgraded Hilton breakfast in the main restaurant. There is no fresh pineapple, no warm smoked salmon nor many other goodies. In my opinion even the orange juice has got worse.

I would still recommend Strand, especially if you get a cheap rate.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:56 am

Programs: Hhonnors Diamond
I've been upgraded 10 out 10 last times to executive floor. Only once last year they could not upgrade to exec. room but still of course gave me lounge access. Maybe 9 out of 10 times you get a bottle of redvine and some chocolate as a welcome gift. A nice hotel, great staff.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by servus
Any recent experiences at this property? Do they still go with the new Hilton policy "sorry, Executive Floor is completely booked"? Almost three years since the last post here on FT!

Thanx
Was there last time a few weeks ago. Hotel hasn't changed much since the last posts. As Gold got an upgrade to half of the Helsinki Suite which came with lounge access. Very satisfied with my stay.
Old May 8, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Thumbs down Not impressed

After a week's stay here:

The positives:Clean and comfortable(but very dated rooms) and a generally pleasant staff. Location is good as well.

The big con:After 6 weeks in Hilton Hotels in Europe(except for 4 nights) this is the only negative executive lounge experience. Lounge staffed only at breakfast and in evening. During the day self serve coffee, soft drinks, and snacks such as grocery store quality cookies and chips available, but no one is around and by afternoon there is a pile of dirty dishes accumulating which no one clears and which are stacked all over the serving area and in the lounge. In the evenings wine, beer, and liquor is out along with cold foods and one hot item, but when the food items are gone(often quite early) they are not replaced. The lounge seems to be run on a shoestring budget and without adequate staff. In North America I wouldn't be surprised at this, but in Europe this all comes as an unpleasant surprise.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 1:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Checked in Saturday - no upgrades available. I was offered WiFi but as I had no laptop thar was of no use. Promised the 1000 points but they didn't post.
The Lounge was jammed Saturday night - standing room only - no plates, glasses or food at 18:15! Sunday night was quieter but the Lounge had been used by some business people as their office all day and into the eveining so again only a few seats.
I have stayed here quite a few times before and this was definitely my worst stay.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: Honors Lifetime Diamond, BAEC Gold
Helsinki trip

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Checked in Saturday - no upgrades available. I was offered WiFi but as I had no laptop thar was of no use. Promised the 1000 points but they didn't post.
The Lounge was jammed Saturday night - standing room only - no plates, glasses or food at 18:15! Sunday night was quieter but the Lounge had been used by some business people as their office all day and into the eveining so again only a few seats.
I have stayed here quite a few times before and this was definitely my worst stay.
Totally agree with this: the hotel is in a reasonably central area of town (can walk no problem) and the sauna is good on the top floor.

However, the hotel is dated (similar to Antwerp/ Abu Dhabi and Berlin (although Berlin being done up now)) and needs updating.

The lounge has great views and a small terrace (I mean small..one table...)with great views, but the service is very bad. Self service for most of the day, and when things run out you have to wait for them to replace them (which is whenever another member of staff comes upstairs again)...the same goes with the alcohol. In fact, my party was told that the wine had run out that was allocated to the executive lounge and there was no more!! I had to complain to the front desk and duty manager before more was delivered (we were paying for it after all - it wasn't even just a diamond benefit).

Upgrade was denied....even though you could book executive rooms on the floor (at least 4 of them), but they did comp the internet when asked.

Breakfast downstairs was ok, but simply ok. Most things were there, but it had a 'package holiday' feel to it, in my point of view. Nothing like other breakfast rooms (and I am not comparing it to the Cavareiri!!!).

The staff in general did not seem that happy - I see that in hotels where they're not doing too well and management put pressure on them, or are not engaging well with staff: this is my gut feeling at this hotel.
All in all, I expected more. Would I go back? To be honest, not rush back there at all. Although if work were paying and I was on an offer from HHonors and needed the night stay/ points needed then it is not all that bad.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Writing this right now from Hilton Helsinki Strand. My experience inevitably will be limited as I will stay only one night here. I agree with most of things already written there. Location of this hotel is slightly off-center of the town however it's still within walking distance (even for me :-)

Check-in process was very quick. I was upgraded to the Executive Floor 7 as HHonors Gold, with lounge access and free WiFi. Two complimentary bottles of water were in the room. No more further perks however Personalized letter signed by General Manager contained information not only about the hotel itself but also tips what you might wish to do (City tour, Exhibition etc.), 6-day weather forecast etc. Very nice and informative.

As some people have mentioned already, Executive Lounge looked quite deserted in daytime except few gentlemen using some tables almost like an office space (laptops, lot of business papers etc.). Must be kind of a custom here No lounge wardens (or dragonesses) were seen there. Even coffee cups were no more available, but coffee machine still worked and was capable to make reasonably good espresso Otherwise there were very few things to use - some cookies, non-alcoholic beverages, water.

On my next visit to the lounge about 5pm things were improved a lot. Some snacks, salads, bread etc. Hot item happened to be very tasty baked salmon, big pieces Quite a wide choice of beverages too, starting with Australian white and red wines, three different Martinis, port, several liqueurs, several whiskeys, vodka, Courvoisier cognac (unfortunately only VS, not VSOP, but well...)

Lounge dragoness now was there working all the time, and it really made big difference. Now the lounge was clean, neat and attractive place to stay in. By the way, had some small talk with dragoness, she is a student and (hopefully) will graduate as a hotel manager. Now this probably is THE way to get good knowledge about real life in the hotel and impressions about loyal guests in the Lounge

My room there is approximately like as I was expecting (pictures from Internet etc.). There were few small glitches like light bulb not working (burned out) in a desktop lamp but these were corrected immediately in few minutes after my phone call. Internet connection works OK.

I have yet to see and try breakfast tomorrow But generally Hilton Helsinki Strand is a good place to stay if you need to stay in the town itself. Otherwise I might prefer Hilton Vantaa near the airport.
Old May 3, 2011, 8:55 am

Airport to hotel help

Hi,

Will be traveling solo on a mini vacation from USA. This will be my first trip to Finland. I will be arriving in HEL in morning and would like to take bus 615 into city. Is this a good option? Which stop is closest to the Strand? How do they handle carry on roller boards? Thanks for your help. Gwen
Old May 8, 2011, 11:06 am
mtn

Bus 615 is the cheapest way to reach Hilton Helsinki Strand from the airport. A single ticket costs 4 euros and the walking distance from the bus stop to hotel is only 300 metres.

The bus departs from terminal 2 ground level platform 21. You can buy a ticket from the driver (need cash). You can also buy the ticket from an automatic machine at the platform with a credit card.

You have to leave the bus at Hakaniemi bus stop (2402). I you don't know Hakaniemi you can ask the driver to drop you off there. The bus stop is at the opposite side of Hakaniemi market square.

Usually there is enough space for luggage in the bus.

There is a journey planner in the internet to find out bus timetables and routes:
http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/

Last edited by mtn; May 8, 2011 at 11:08 am Reason: Added journey planner info
Old May 8, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say
Stayed here at the end of last summer. Experience not that good. Front desk staff, relatively unhelpful. Not upgraded (as a Diamond) despite the fact that there were bookable rooms on the exec floor. Got lounge access but unimpressed with offerings and atmosphere. Breakfast average. Rooms dated, and my bathroom could have been cleaner. All in all, would only recommend if you get a really good rate. More like a US Hilton than a European one.
Old May 8, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by hbush
As some people have mentioned already, Executive Lounge looked quite deserted in daytime except few gentlemen using some tables almost like an office space (laptops, lot of business papers etc.). Must be kind of a custom here
On my next visit to this hotel approx. a month later I understood why this happens Rooms near the end of longer corridor of this L-shaped building have very weak, practically unusable Wi-Fi signal level. If you need to do some work over VPN, it's better to occupy some nice table in the Executive Lounge where Wi-Fi signal is much better. Or ask to relocate to any room closer to central atrium.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, American Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed here for 2 nights in March of '11. Upgraded as Gold (but then again what sane person goes to Finland in March?) to very retro room (although pretty well-kept and spacious). Got the welcome chocolates and water but no wine.

Lounge was good, only hot dish was meatballs both nights but they were tasty. Breakfast offered in lounge OR downstairs...went downstairs and good spread of cold meats and cheeses with a slightly below average offering of hot dishes.

All in all a good stay...would say they're keeping up standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.