Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Tokyo {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gradfly
When you contacted them directly, was it through their general email or a specific dept? I'm considering doing this myself.
[email protected]
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:45 pm

This is the fourth time I’ve stayed at the Hilton Tokyo hotel in two years — all for multiple night, paid stays. I am a gold member. This is the fourth time I have been told at check in that my bed type was not available. I currently have a twin sized bed. I booked a king premium room starting YESTERDAY because I was checking in this morning (9 AM) and wanted to guarantee I could get my room and type. I even called and spoke in advance with the concierge and front desk to inform them my reservation began the day before I was arriving the next morning so I could guarantee my room and access to my room.

I stay at this hotel because I am traveling with friends who include diamond members. I told one of my friends: NO MORE HILTON TOKYO. They are appalled at the situation and agreed. This hotel just lost all of our repeat business.

Is it because I am a young, single woman traveler?

To add injury to insult: the app was updated after I checked in and now shows my check-in date is today and my room type is a twin. This is not the reservation I have — which I have a printed copy of, as well as email copy of (and was reflected correctly in the app before I checked in). This means the front desk person went in and CHANGED MY RESERVATION when I checked in.

Anyone else have this experience here?

Last edited by Lefleur; Sep 3, 2018 at 6:53 pm
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lefleur
This is the fourth time I’ve stayed at the Hilton Tokyo hotel in two years — all for multiple night, paid stays. I am a gold member. This is the fourth time I have been told at check in that my bed type was not available. I currently have a twin sized bed. I booked a king premium room starting YESTERDAY because I was checking in this morning (9 AM) and wanted to guarantee I could get my room and type. I even called and spoke in advance with the concierge and front desk to inform them my reservation began the day before I was arriving the next morning so I could guarantee my room and access to my room.

I stay at this hotel because I am traveling with friends who include diamond members. I told one of my friends: NO MORE HILTON TOKYO. They are appalled at the situation and agreed. This hotel just lost all of our repeat business.

To add injury to insult: the app was updated after I checked in and now shows my check-in date is today and my room type is a twin. This is not the reservation I have — which I have a printed copy of, as well as email copy of (and was reflected correctly in the app before I checked in). This means the front desk person went in and CHANGED MY RESERVATION when I checked in.

Anyone else have this experience here?
That's horrible. The app will update to whatever room type they checked you in to. so that's "normal" because of how the tech side operates. I would ask for the GMs card and send an e-mail and if you can wifi call, talk to Hilton guest assistance, tell them you are on property and open a file # and to rectify this immediately.

When a Hilton property did this to me recently, I received the equivalent of 1 night points as compensation.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by monahos
Saturday nights are the most expensive ones at nicer hotels in Japan because of their highly lucrative wedding business. Understandably hotels would much rather cash in than receive the meager compensation HH gives them.
I am unaware of HH practices, but one advantage of IHG is that they compensate the hotel for its average room rate when occupancy exceeds 95%, which helps with award availability and makes it a win-win for the hotel and the guest, if not for IHG.
That said I have been regularly checking Tokyo award availability for a specific Saturday this winter, and am reasonably confident the Conrad never made even one standard award room available at any point.

This all comes down to those certificates, where the original intent was for US customers to use them on weekends when business was slow; Japan has always been an exception, and is where I have redeemed most of my IC AMB weekend BOGO certs for the past decades.
Thanks for the insight, sounds similar to Conrad Seoul and its popularity with locals doing weekend staycations.

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Much appreciated, hopefully I luck out with availability.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward
The app will update to whatever room type they checked you in to. so that's "normal" because of how the tech side operates.
Yes, even before check-in the app shows, which room is assigned for you. Some Hotels change the assigned room a couple of times before check-in. If the room assigned gets worse, they like other guests more than you. If the room assigned gets better, they like you more than other guests.

I also prefer a single King when travelling alone, but for me it is not a real problem, if I get a twin insted. I had the opposite case (booked Twin, got single King assigned) and that is not acceptable from my point of view.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you asking if this makes you more prone to such a melodramatic reaction?
747FC likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Are you asking if this makes you more prone to such a melodramatic reaction?
hmmm

stay #1: booked king, told only twin available
stay #2: booked king, told only twin available
stay #3: booked deluxe king, told only twin available
stay #4: booked premium king, told only twin available

what about the conclusion “do not stay here, you won’t get your booked/confirmed bed type” is melodramatic in this situation?

My male colleague checked in before me. No status. Got a king bed.

Our friend/work group has drawn our own conclusions. You’re free to do the same (though I have to say, misogyny is so passé).
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: It's Complicated...

hmmm

what about the conclusion “do not stay here, you won’t get your booked/confirmed bed type” is melodramatic in this situation?

Our friend/work group has drawn our own conclusions. You’re free to do the same (though I have to say, misogyny is so passé).
Did you ask the hotel what is up with this scenario? I am not saying your conclusion is not possible but would be curious what the hotels response would be. I can just say that my experience is similar to yours in a lot of hotels when traveling by myself as a Male, not young, Diamond - not dismissing your concern though.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred

hmmm

I'm sorry this happened to you. It sounded kind of familiar, and found it back at Post #138. Similar thing for another single female FTer.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmmm

I think that your reaction is appropriate if you got booked in a room with no bed whatsoever.

I would have either just slept on a single bed, pushed the two beds together, or have asked someone to do that for me.

As for misogyny, you're the only one making gender an issue here.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
I am trying to figure this out...when I book, it has the options of the following I will consider:

1 - Hilton King - City and park views, high floor, WiFi, 40-inch LCD TV, work - 58,000 points
2 - King Deluxe - City and park views, WiFi, 40-inch LCD TV, work desk - 51,000 points
3 - King Premium - City and park views, WiFi, 40-inch LCD TV, work desk - 54,000 points

Cash price range from 29,000 JPY to 32,000 to 34,000.

Since #1 is considered standard award, one would get the 5th night free with points. #2 and #3 won't. The difference is not huge for 5 nights but...Questions:

1 - How different are the rooms? Is it renovated vs. old and the different towers?
2 - Why does #1 say high floor but the other more expensive ones don't?
3 - As a Diamond, should I just get the cheapest one and hope for upgrades?

Thanks.
I ended up getting a King Executive according to my Hilton App. It is not bad except it smells a little like smoke. I had an early check in so I am not too picky on upgrade or smell.

Today, in the lounge, I heard the lady offering a new Diamond (paid) guest upgrade to 2 different kind of suites and asked him what he wanted. I suppose this might be a slower week due to Labor Day in the US and Canada and possible cancellations from the typhoon, which did not affect TYO too much.

Went to Shinbashi today and saw the Conrad. Went up to the lobby and the view was amazing. However, I probably will never blow my hard earned points that way
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:21 am

That conclusion is always right. It is the hotel's job to make the guest happy and not the guest's job to make the hotel happy.

Btw: What is your setting as 'room preferences' in the Honors system? 1 bed or 2 beds?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:27 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Just checked out today. Had booked standard Queen Room. Upgraded to King City Suite. Always get treated great here. Love it.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
Staying here at the moment. Been treated really good as usual. Booked on points and upgraded to a large executive room (as a Gold Member). The Breakfast in the Lounge and the Japanese breakfast are great. At pre-dinner snacks, the lounge is packed and you need to line-up to get food and the buffet get emptied pretty fast which is a bit annoying.

However, tonight, I was invited to use the « secret » lounge only for Gold and Diamond members in room 3710. I was told it’s not opened every night. Food spread is slightly better with sweets; the attendant is charming and provides table service. Much more private and the alcohol is flowing...

I would stay here again anytime.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:55 am

Considering staying at Christmas as the rates are about the best of the main 5 star hotels. However if there is another sale I suspect I will try and get the Conrad again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.