FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2017] Hilton Tokyo {JPN}
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:05 pm
hapuna

Recently stayed at this hotel for several days and was not impressed.

I'm Gold, as are my two work colleagues who traveled with me. We all booked the exact same rate/room (separately) and arrived/checked-in at the same time.

Upon checking in (which we did simultaneously, as there was no one else in the lobby checking in the evening we arrived), one of my colleagues (older white man, wearing a suit) was upgraded to the executive floor and given lounge access. My other colleague (man, wearing biz casual) was told he could have lounge access, but his room was on another floor from the lounge.

I (younger woman, who was wearing a hoodie sweatshirt and jeans, as I had changed in the airport from my dress and heels to fly in to Tokyo from HK where we had been in work meetings all day and I hate flying in dresses/heels) was told that there were no upgrades available, nor was I able to access the Lounge as I was not going to be on the lounge floor. After I asked why my two male colleagues, who were literally being checked in simultaneously, were given lounge access but I wasn't, the check-in agent told me that I could have lounge access too (surprise!) but only if I agreed to a SINGLE bed room. I had booked/confirmed a KING bed.

A SINGLE bed? I asked, and it's literally a TWIN bed. I haven't slept in a twin bed since I was in college. I had been on a several week work trip throughout Asia. I had been in meetings all day. I was exhausted. No way was I taking a TWIN bed.

The check-in agent could not explain to me why one of my male colleagues, who was also not going to be on the exec floor, was given lounge access when I was not (!). In fact, we ENDED UP ON THE SAME FLOOR - he just got lounge access (what?!) and I didn't. I was tired and didn't want to cause a scene, so I was polite but clear that I was disappointed, and went on my way.

I don't *expect* to get lounge access as a Gold, though I would hope they would treat their repeat customers nicely. It was more the surprise of hearing that "there was nothing available" while my two male colleagues were treated very differently (and actually, I got my keys before either of them finished checking in) - including my colleague who got lounge access but was staying on the same (non-exec) floor as me.

I'll confess - it made me consider going for Marriott Gold instead. We had just come from the JW Marriott in HK and one of my colleagues is Gold there. I am just silver with Marriott, but he was able to bring me to the lounge as his guest. It was *fantastic* - great food options, my room (as a silver) was beautiful, etc. etc. Compare that to the experience I had here at the Hilton Tokyo, or the very sad lounge experience I had at the Seoul Millennium Hilton.....! I was not upgraded or given lounge access at the Singapore Hilton (Orchard Road) but the (free as Gold) breakfast buffet in the morning there is so amazing, I didn't mind. I still think about that breakfast there!