Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Costa Rica {CRI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Costa Rica {CRI}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2002, 4:28 pm

Astonishingly, Dave, I agree with you on pretty much everything; it's a trade off. BUT I assert that buses are inherently safer than passenger cars, ceteris paribus. Also, there's not only physical safety, but legal safety to consider as well. Accidents in Latin America tend be the gringo's fault regardless of reality, in my lengthy experience. I used shared vans to move between areas and then taxis to move within areas. Seemed like a good compromise.

Old Jan 6, 2004, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Which San Jose Costa Rica Hampton?

My wife and I need to stay near the SJO airport in Costa Rica in March due to flight times and there are two Hamptons at the airport: one is a Hampton Inn, the other is Hampton Inn and Suites. Is either preferable to the other?

Is one newer or does one have a better pool or better breakfast, treat golds better, etc? Both are going for $100 or so a night. Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 9:03 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
We stayed at the Inn and Suites. It is the building furthest back from the Pan American Highway.

2nd stay, we upgraded to a suite which was quite nice for a Hampton. Just a heads up, be sure to print the reservation confirmation and take 2 copies of it with you so that when they screw up the rate, you have proof of what was booked. Be aware that with a credit card your U.S. dollar rate will be converted to colones at an inflated rate and converted back to dollars at a deflated rate, thus adding as much as 10% to the bill. This is how it is done in Costa Rica, not just at the Hampton.

Be sure to take advantage of the van for airport pickup. The hotel is located at the entrance to the airport. The van will also take you to the chicken place and the soda next door. Quite useful if it is raining despite both restaurants being a short walk away. You can obtain a coupon for one free drink per person at the soda from the van drivers.
\
Enjoy
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:11 pm
Suspended

sorry

[This message has been edited by craz (edited Jan 07, 2004).]
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:49 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
Great advice!!! Now...if he were only going to SJC!!!!

Poster says SAN JOSE, COSTA RICA (SJO)

[This message has been edited by IMStill4Travel (edited Jan 06, 2004).]
Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just stayed Costa Rica last month.

The Hampton Inn & Suites is newer and a bit nicer. They also have a small shop which sells bottled water, which for some strange reason the Hampton Inn's shop does not.

The Hampton Inn & Suites has hi-speed internet available and has a Business Center with complimentary use of computers and the internet. Though as a Hampton Inn guest, you're free to walk over and use as well.

I found the Hampton Inn rooms to be fine, but they had a slight musty smell to them (changed rooms several times but all were the same). You get used to it. Hampton Touch was provided with 2 bottles of water and some cookies.

Both are very nice hotels, IMHO. Great service! However, been over a month and no HHonors credit yet. Gonna have to call, I suspect.

Usually the Hampton Inn is cheaper. Don't know how many nights you'll be staying total, but the Hampton Inn one does often offer a "Pay Sunday, Stay Saturday Free" package via hilton.com that nets a weekend stay down to about US$50 per night.

If this is your first visit to Costa Rica...some advice:

1. Bring lots of US One Dollar Bills.

2. Be prepared for the US$26 airport departure tax.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited Jan 07, 2004).]
Old Jan 9, 2004, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Opushomes and Premex, thanks for the responses. I am booked at the Inn and Suites for my last night with an 8 am flight. Really don't expect to be at the hotel much, just using it to get to airport on time as I don't want to be crossing potholed roads at 4:30 am on my way to the airport.

Looked for the Free Saturday with Sunday stay for my arrival but nothing was available then found a Melia Carieri special for $71 a night prepaid including taxes and breakfast, so I opted out of the Hampton.

The Inn and Suites is an HHonors category 4 property while the Inn is category 2.

from the posts, it sounds like I might have to use a lot more cash than normal ($1/2 gets kids/young men to watch my rental car right?). Lose the credit card points, but save on the exchange fees. Maybe I will just pay for the Hampton in cash too. Thanks again.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 11:36 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
"($1/2 gets kids/young men to watch my rental car right?)."

The Hampton and most hotels have their own security personnel. You may tip them if you wish, but it seemed perfectly safe to park right in front, just like the states. Many businesses such as sodas on the Pan-American highway have directors/watchers in the parking lot. An appropriate tip seems to be about 100 colones paid upon departure. Take you clues from the locals. In the more remote parts of CR, there are no watchers, nor are any needed.

San Jose is described as dangerous, but your car can be ripped off in Manhattan NY or Manhattan, Kansas. My advice is just to be aware of your surroundings and do not provide temptations for crime.

The biggest danger in Costa Rica from our one week trip by car are the abominable roads. Be alert for pot-holes at all times even on new roads. This advice is from personal experience on the newly-opened road to Tamarindo. Fortunately, the guy who lives next to that particular pot-hole is extemely good at changing tires. Never travel without a filled spare. If the tire store cannot repair your tire and does not have your exact size, buy one as close in size as possible and stick it in the trunk. Do not keep going expecting to find a better supplied store down the road-probably will not exist. Avis, at least, will check for an inflated spare upon return of their vehicle.

On roads such as the two to Monte Verde do not expect any services on the 1 1/2 hour 18 mile trip. Try not to blow out one on these roads.

BTW: I did not believe all that I heard about the deplorable roads in CR. Everything that you heard was true. In fairness, some roads are good, but all suffer from pot-hole acne.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:27 pm

Hampton Inns in Costa Rica

I am going to Costa Rica for business at the end of August and saw that the only 2 hilton properties are Hampton Inns in San Jose. I will be in San Jose for 5 days and then plan to travel around for 5 days, and want to know if anyone has stayed at either of these properties. Both are listed as by the airport.....are they decent properties and are the close to the city or out in the middle of no where. I won't have a rental car so I am hoping I am near the city. Also if anyone knows of any other properties anywhere in Costa Rica that they would reccomend that would be great. Or anyone that has been to Costa Rica....if you had 5 days....where would you go? What is not to be missed. This is my first trip so any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by d2rip; Jul 14, 2004 at 3:33 pm Reason: misspelling
Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:47 pm

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Cool grrr

Costa Rica was kinda dumped on me as a new territory. My experiences with the Hamptons is spotty at best. Both are owned by the same franchisee (Grupo Marta).

The properties are next to each other at the east end of the runway. The airport is actually in Alajuela, NOT San Jose. Depends on where your business is to tell you if you are close or not. San Jose is about 15 miles south but can take 45 minutes in a taxi during peak (rush) hours.

Neither property is any great shakes. Spotty performance on upgrades to suites at the "suites" property, spotty amenities offered at either property. Both range around $100/night which is VERY expensive for CR. Twice (of 5 stays) had to request points to be posted. Breakfast is cold, Hampton-style. Good coffees though.

Both properties contract for taxi service - ***DO NOT USE***. One wanted $35 to downtown San Jose. Is MAXIMUM $12 from the airport. Take the shuttle (3 mins) to the airport and use an airport taxi.

Lots of great (***NO POINTS***) opportunities at around $50/night with great breakfasts.

PM me if you need more info.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Forget staying out at the airport... too far out.

<replied privately with other CR info>

Originally Posted by d2rip
I am going to Costa Rica for business at the end of August and saw that the only 2 hilton properties are Hampton Inns in San Jose. I will be in San Jose for 5 days and then plan to travel around for 5 days, and want to know if anyone has stayed at either of these properties. Both are listed as by the airport.....are they decent properties and are the close to the city or out in the middle of no where. I won't have a rental car so I am hoping I am near the city. Also if anyone knows of any other properties anywhere in Costa Rica that they would reccomend that would be great. Or anyone that has been to Costa Rica....if you had 5 days....where would you go? What is not to be missed. This is my first trip so any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 5:04 pm

Thank you for your help! My business is in Alajela but I thought that I would want to stay in San Jose as there seems to be little to do in Alajela. It has been recommended to me that for traveling purposes the Southern part of Costa Rica along the Pacific is where I would want to go. What does everyone think about that?

I do appreciate the input and suggestions that I have already received both as post and by way of PM so thank you.....just trying to get as much as possible. Cheers,

David
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also see this thread:

Which San Jose Costa Rica Hampton?
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:25 pm
Original Member

Costa Rica Hotels

Unless you are absolutely set on the Hamptons because you need Hilton points, you might investigate some other possibilities. Also out by the airport, a few miles away is the Costa Rica Marriott. It's a little more expensive, but a great hotel. The Intercontinental is also a few miles further away, but another great hotel.

If you are heading down to the Pacific Coast, we stayed in Hotel Si Como No, in Quepos, near Manuel Antonio national park. You would have to have a rental car, or take the bus down there. A great resort hotel. But fairly expensive. (But worth it, in our minds.)
Old Nov 20, 2004, 2:51 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Hilton HHonors Properties in Costa Rica

Headed there SuperBowl weekend, but no idea where to stay.
Any good insights?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.