Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2020] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2020] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:57 am
wsc

1) TV in the room: Is there on demand movies? Does TV have HDMI in that you can use? I am thinking to bring my laptop to watch films.
2) Does tennis court give balls and racquets, do they charge?
3) If you arrive early, say 9am, will they let you have breakfast for free on that day if Hilton Gold, what are peoples experience with their generosity?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
In regards to the deposit, how do you even do that? If I’m staying 6 days I don’t have a card with a 15k limit.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jermyn
I just went to add another night on points to my upcoming reservation and made two interesting discoveries:
  • Points reservations now have a 30 day cancellation window rather than 14 days
  • Points reservations now require a cash deposit matching the nightly cash cost of the room
What's worse is that nowhere during the online booking process was I told what the deposit amount would be. I had to call Hilton who confirmed that for a single night my deposit for a points booking would be $3,005

That's certainly one way to discourage people from burning points here...
Thanks for reporting this. The deposit was mentioned on the Conrad forum - however everyone has said they haven’t been charged at all.

Was your credit card actually charged this deposit yet?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
The cash deposit is a bug, this has been discussed.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Looking for some answers, if I missed them in previous posts just call me an idiot and tell me the page:

1. What are the hours for the Gold/Diamond Breakfast, how late can we delay going?
2. On their website for the activities brochure I didn't find any regular scuba diving trips, just the classes. Anyone know how much a normal two tank boat dive costs?
3. How late do the transfers go? If we arrive at 2200 will we have to stay in Male until the morning?

Thanks.
2. see attached pic

Someone else asked about the whale shark excursion? $700 + 23.2% per hour. They suggested 5 hours because it takes about 1.5 hours to get to the location.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:40 am

I had to call Hilton who confirmed that for a single night my deposit for a points booking would be $3,005

That's certainly one way to discourage people from burning points here...
Same at other properties as well. Looks like another Hilton IT glitch.

Originally Posted by wsc
1) TV in the room: Is there on demand movies? Does TV have HDMI in that you can use? I am thinking to bring my laptop to watch films.
2) Does tennis court give balls and racquets, do they charge?
3) If you arrive early, say 9am, will they let you have breakfast for free on that day if Hilton Gold, what are peoples experience with their generosity?
Your best bet for specific questions like these would be to email the hotel.
As for #3 , you won't be entitled to breakfast since there is no lounge at the airport like the Conrad has but, as you say, they might allow you to have it.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by htran88
2. see attached pic

Someone else asked about the whale shark excursion? $700 + 23.2% per hour. They suggested 5 hours because it takes about 1.5 hours to get to the location.
That’s considerably cheaper than I was expecting. Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by brandonpkt
Thanks for reporting this. The deposit was mentioned on the Conrad forum - however everyone has said they haven’t been charged at all.

Was your credit card actually charged this deposit yet?
I've only just updated my reservation and haven't been charged yet...

Originally Posted by Football Fan
The cash deposit is a bug, this has been discussed.
Let's hope it is just a bug - although if that's the case its disappointing that the Diamond line agents have no clue.
I missed the discussion but will update the wiki to avoid others missing it too!
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:00 pm

Just added a night to our reservation the other day by calling into the Diamond desk and using a free weekend night certificate. The rep quoted the deposit, but it wasn't charged.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:02 pm

Diving

Regarding diving:

How much are the daily 2 tank and 1 tank dives?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Treytrey5
Regarding diving:

How much are the daily 2 tank and 1 tank dives?
$105+rentals per dive. See post #2425 .
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
That’s considerably cheaper than I was expecting. Thanks.
Scuba diving cost is already the most expensive I ever seen. 105+25=$130/per dive compare to Tahiti / Bora Bora like $90~100/per dive while most popular diving spot is like $120~130/ 2 tank. Equipment charge base on per dive is also new while most places charge on per day or one time charge.
The most expensive one I have is in Okinawa and Cayman Island, they are like $100/ per dive but Japan service is really nice, British service is average only.
Anyone can share their most expensive diving cost? I mean regular shore diving or short distance boat diving, not 2~3hrs drive which add up the cost.
Also how is the diving experience in WA if anyone has tried. Please share. I hope $130 is the final cost not extra 2x% tax.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: Qantas, Cathay, Hyatt
I've only just updated my reservation and haven't been charged yet...

Let's hope it is just a bug - although if that's the case its disappointing that the Diamond line agents have no clue.
I missed the discussion but will update the wiki to avoid others missing it too!
Quick personal experience from me. I called the Diamond line yesterday to make an 8nights points booking. At the end of the call the agent told me I needed to pay a $19k deposit. I couldn't believe it so told her I needed to think about it and finished the call. I then tried to make the same booking on the app and after a few clicks booking was made with absolutely no mention of needing to pay a deposit. All worked out in the end for us thankfully and really chuffed I didnt give up
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kimomo
Scuba diving cost is already the most expensive I ever seen. 105+25=$130/per dive compare to Tahiti / Bora Bora like $90~100/per dive while most popular diving spot is like $120~130/ 2 tank. Equipment charge base on per dive is also new while most places charge on per day or one time charge.
The most expensive one I have is in Okinawa and Cayman Island, they are like $100/ per dive but Japan service is really nice, British service is average only.
Anyone can share their most expensive diving cost? I mean regular shore diving or short distance boat diving, not 2~3hrs drive which add up the cost.
Also how is the diving experience in WA if anyone has tried. Please share. I hope $130 is the final cost not extra 2x% tax.
Diving over at Conrad Rangali was $90++ /dive back in 2017, so not vastly different. Hence why I only did 2 dives when I already done liveaboards in the Maldives & the snorkeling was so good. (+ my wife doesn't dive)

Scroll down to the bottom of this for Maldives u/w life
Diving at Rangali
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
High deposits?

Originally Posted by Profpunce
Quick personal experience from me. I called the Diamond line yesterday to make an 8nights points booking. At the end of the call the agent told me I needed to pay a $19k deposit. I couldn't believe it so told her I needed to think about it and finished the call. I then tried to make the same booking on the app and after a few clicks booking was made with absolutely no mention of needing to pay a deposit. All worked out in the end for us thankfully and really chuffed I didnt give up
That initial amount for a deposit is beyond ridiculous. Sounds like an IT glitch, I could understand if it were equivalent to just one night but not for the entire stay. Some UK credit cards are limited to less than that amount, Is this a thing in other Hilton properties for redemptions?

Next thing they will be filtering guests based on salaries and total net worth

Last edited by ScubaRoo; Jan 9, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.