Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2020] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2020] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by vnfilm1
Finally, I heard some comparison about nature scenery between CR and WA .
You are hearing of it for the first time because you never, ever, search for anything on this forum.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by setho212
I am planning on making an award booking at this hotel for January 2021. I was looking at availability and the hotel does not show any paid or award availability after 12/20/2020. Does the hotel not load capacity 365 days out? Does anyone know when I can expect to see rooms in January 2021 available to be booked?
This also happened with 11/1 to 12/20 reservations. Then they opened all those dates at once on Christmas. You will have to keep checking each day till it opens.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by persoid
I'm sure folks would be more forgiving and planning to return to the Conrad, as they've done for years (80% of visitors at the Conrad are repeat guests).
Dude, it's the opposite. Maybe 20%.

Originally Posted by NightFury1
Why on earth did they create another category for a category that already exists just to take premium awards?
Maybe they're planning on doing what the St. Regis did and take award inventory away from the pool. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
That's not what I have read on the CMRI thread. I've read numerous reports of FT posters complaining about a decline in service at CMRI. Let's not disregard all the online reports of the decline in service at CMRI while simultaneously crowing about every negative Tripadvisor review of WA Ithaafushi.
What you have read on the Rangali thread is a couple of really bad incidents and sure, while pretty scary, is not representative of what is happening on a daily basis. And again, if you actually read ALL the recent posts you'd see that multiple guests (myself, tom-schmitt and numerous others) who are here or have just left, have had / are having no issues whatsoever. Further to this, since I arrived I have met 2 new couples and 2 repeaters who have had zero complaints about the service. But hey, your recent posts have shown that you don't read properly nor is your logic anywhere near 'normal'.

Second, if you criticize me for making a critical post about the WA and how they are so incredibly stingy then you should also criticize everyone else who isn't happy with them, no? Get a life, Mr Wannabe Policeman.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
What you have read on the Rangali thread is a couple of really bad incidents and sure, while pretty scary, is not representative of what is happening on a daily basis.
I find it odd that you are trying to "spin" what I read on the CMRI thread as "a couple" of really bad incidents.

I know exactly what I read on that thread. I read posts from six different posters since December 23 complaining about the recent cost cutting and overall decline at CMRI:

brandonpkt - "We just wrapped up our third trip to CMRI and during our seven nights we experienced logistical issues, poor service and a lapse in communication that was very surprising given the high quality of our prior stays . . . all of the villas are extremely worn out and service has really gone downhill compared to our prior visits . . . I don’t think this resort can stay branded as a Conrad anymore given the current gap in service and hard product compared to other locations in the brand. CMRI would be better served downgrading to a Hilton (like it was for many years) and competing with its current lower service and hard-product levels at a much lower price point."

soccerguy985 - "I agree with this poster. There is no service recovery at cm, and these are self inflicted cm issues. I was happy staying in my initial leaky Villa. But instead it was one cluster after another. . . . I agree CM is in trouble because they can't recover with service lapses"

evergrn - "I was there a month ago during the week where it rained everyday. I experienced service lapses, communication issues, as well as all the disappointing developments related to now sparse Diamond benefits."

swg - "I can attest that I had some similar issues as brandonpkt on some of the same days."

spotly - "I do concur with other’s views that as a generality the place is not what it used to be”

trust0me - "The overall quality of the hospitality and customer service is kinda of hit or miss.”

I see that CMRI has also gotten four other 1 or 2 * star reviews on TripAdvisor in the last month.

Many readers of this thread may be debating staying between these two resorts and they should be aware of these issues at CMRI.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Maybe they're planning on doing what the St. Regis did and take award inventory away from the pool. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
I was under the impression every villa at the property has a pool. On the accommodations page for the hotel it only lists room types that include pools.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by NightFury1
Why on earth did they create another category for a category that already exists just to take premium awards?
Maybe to limit the amount of rooms available for reward bookings. If all RV and OWV were bookable with points that would be most of the resort. Or there are some ...... locations for the OWV and they deem those as ocean villas while the better location OWV stay OWV.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:39 pm

I find it odd that you are trying to "spin" what I read on the CMRI thread as "a couple" of really bad incidents.

I know exactly what I read on that thread. I read posts from six different posters since December 23 complaining about the recent cost cutting and overall decline at CMRI:
Seems you're unaware of your own spin then. You're combining cost cutting with bad service. Stick to what you originally said, otherwise you're putting a 'spin' on it.

Second, the resort is not having guests consistently stay before the advertised end of renovations (like I've said before, do that at your own risk), is not in a constant state of being understaffed and with so many inexperienced hosts. Not giving Rangali any excuses though. Extremely poor handling of multiple serious incidents is something they've got to deal with. I wonder who the hosts were and how much experience they had had at the time.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by setho212
I was under the impression every villa at the property has a pool. On the accommodations page for the hotel it only lists room types that include pools.
I meant from the inventory pool, i.e; the pool of available villas.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:39 am
wsc

Anyone (esp with status) get a comp upgrade upon check-in?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by wsc
Anyone (esp with status) get a comp upgrade upon check-in?
A few people have reported that they did - especially early on with people booking Beach Villas and ending up in Grand Overwater. However with the adjustment of the base room category for points, plus the occupancy rates increasing, this shouldn't be something you anticipate or expect. Book the room you want to stay in.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Poor service, cost cutting or less HH benefits? Or all 3?

That's not what I have read on the CMRI thread. I've read numerous reports of FT posters complaining about a decline in service at CMRI. Let's not disregard all the online reports of the decline in service at CMRI while simultaneously crowing about every negative Tripadvisor review of WA Ithaafushi.
I think we are getting into semantics here, but in addition to cancellation of afternoon tea and reduced benefits to HH members (eg less breakfast choices at Vilu, Happy hour reductions) all for cost cutting, there are also clearly concerns about the capability of some of the current staff at CR. Again not their fault, sounds like they just need investing in training and gaining more experience.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
I think we are getting into semantics here, but in addition to cancellation of afternoon tea and reduced benefits to HH members (eg less breakfast choices at Vilu, Happy hour reductions) all for cost cutting, there are also clearly concerns about the capability of some of the current staff at CR. Again not their fault, sounds like they just need investing in training and gaining more experience.
Yes, I met staff at Ithaafushi who had moved over from Conrad. They prefer the easier access to Male.

I'm sure Hilton wouldn't let their bad staff members move from Conrad to WA.

It stands to reason that one of the reasons why there has been a decline in service at Conrad is that many of their best employees have moved to WA.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:42 pm

I believe some VIP guests who always get special treatment and never see the decline in service at CR . For some of us, in my case, the first time I stay at CR, I have a lovely time and I experience excellent service from CR staff. That's is why I book a returned stay .

Now, with all the negative people post about their experience at CR recently, it has worried me. Maybe the 3rd stay turn out wonderful if I am lucky, and maybe not . Will see when I get there.

Everyone is has their own opinion and she/ he has the right to voice the negative / positive of a hotel . CR may be a good choose hotel in the past, but may not a right one anymore for some people if CR management does not take negative feedback seriously.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Looking for some answers, if I missed them in previous posts just call me an idiot and tell me the page:

1. What are the hours for the Gold/Diamond Breakfast, how late can we delay going?
2. On their website for the activities brochure I didn't find any regular scuba diving trips, just the classes. Anyone know how much a normal two tank boat dive costs?
3. How late do the transfers go? If we arrive at 2200 will we have to stay in Male until the morning?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.