Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2020] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2020] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Old Feb 12, 2004, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Arrow [ARCHIVE 2020] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Posts older than 2020 for this ARCHIVE THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi (2018 to 2019)

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 5, 2022 at 2:42 pm
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
Anyone who is a keen snorkeler care to post photos and a review to compare WA reef life to the Rangali?
I was positively surprised about the marine life along the reef considering all the recent construction activities to build the hotel, but the Conrad has the edge when it gets to snorkeling. I would not consider myself a keen snorkeler, but I very much enjoy watching the reef wild life when I have the chance. I snorkeled in front of our villa (618, south) as well as between Yasmeen / Wedding Pavillion / villa 601 (north, recommended by the Dive Center). I also attach some pictures (all taken between Yasmeen / Wedding Pavillion / villa 601), but they do not do justice to experience, both the view and the variety of fish, but I hope they still give an impression. I guess I need better equipment The first ones are along the drop-off, the last four are in the shallower water.

The base of the boulders right of the Wedding Pavillion

Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:57 am

And then to charge almost a $1000 per head with no alcohol included??? I'd be expecting decent Champagne, quality wines and Scottish malt whisky.
Today my butler informed me that I forgot to sign at the end of the night yesterday. Told him that I didnt realise it was necessary since the dinner was compulsory. Turns out they needed my signature for the bottle of still and sparkling water that we had....

An US$800/pp meal that does not include even water leaves a very bad taste.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by mb123
So anyone right now at the resort can comment on the NYE Party?
How was it?
I heard the Maledivian band was good, but the Chicago /cabaret show was too long and boring.
No party/ dancing before midnight.
Even by the standards of the Maldives an U$800/pp dinner that does not even include complimentary water or drinks is a complete rip-off. The food was good but it seemed the pricing was based on we have a captive audience so lets fleece them.

The Maldivian band was really good and highlight of the entertainment. Chicago cabaret show sucked and was never ending until it was forced to end by the countdown to midnight.

The best part of the night was watching the fireworks on the private island at 1am. Whoever is staying there paid for their own fireworks and celebrated at midnight Maldivian time. Their fireworks were better than the hotels.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Ironically I prefer the Conrad motto of "The Luxury of being yourself" that mindset however does not seem to be acceptable at many such resorts.
That "being yourself" mindset should be adopted and practised for our own lives, no matter where we are or what we do. I do things because I choose to, not because someone else "thinks" I should. I am living my life as my own life and never anyone elses.

The next time I visit this property, I will choose to be as frugal as possible so if the Waldorf is reading this, better watch out for Alanslegal's return and shut down that reward nights now.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:54 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by samuelo
Today my butler informed me that I forgot to sign at the end of the night yesterday. Told him that I didnt realise it was necessary since the dinner was compulsory. Turns out they needed my signature for the bottle of still and sparkling water that we had....

An US$800/pp meal that does not include even water leaves a very bad taste.
It's weird. I read the last few pages and think "Oh, they're finally getting the message. Maybe I'll give this place a try after all" and then I see a post like this and I just think "Nope".
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
It's weird. I read the last few pages and think "Oh, they're finally getting the message. Maybe I'll give this place a try after all" and then I see a post like this and I just think "Nope".
While I agree that they shouldve given water, I feel its incredibly short sighted to just weigh incredible reviews of the soft and hard products evenly with a minute detail on a dinner that happens once a year. Maybe next year theyll do it again, maybe next year they wont, but you have 364 more days to have an experience that has been detailed by experienced travelers here that have been to the likes of Vommuli, Rangali Maldives and Bora Bora. Most of the reviews have been generally positive save for one or two hiccups here and there.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:34 am

Yes, I'm honestly torn, I want to go back to the Rangali (for our 3rd visit) for the reef, but the recent devaluations for Honors members and downgrade in service is seriously concerning. So if the Waldorf has a decent reef, that might swing it for me to try out the WA.
What devaluation and downgrade in service do you speak of? We just returned from our third trip to the CRM and felt the service was once again stellar. Returning again next year, and skipping the WA.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by persoid
What devaluation and downgrade in service do you speak of? We just returned from our third trip to the CRM and felt the service was once again stellar. Returning again next year, and skipping the WA.

Happy you had a nice time at CMRI! Our third stay there last week may be an example of the service downgrade that ScubaRoo is referencing (see my posts and discussion on the Conrad forum).

We are at the WA now and we think it is far superior to the Conrad on many levels (just our personal opinion - of course everyone has a different experience and perspective so YMMV).

persoid I am interested to hear about your experiences at both properties: what is your comparison of the hard and soft product at both WA and Conrad? Also, if you were at the WA recently then there is a chance that we overlapped

Last edited by brandonpkt; Jan 3, 2020 at 8:52 am
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Things which have been mentioned are the removal of the afternoon tea, the shortening of the hours for happy hour, the significant reduction of food at the Gold/Diamond happy hour as well as the drink quality, the noticable state of disrepair of some of the rooms - particularly overwater rooms, as well as people generally finding the front of house service to be largely disinterested with their issues/complaints.

Significant discussion about it over on the Conrad thread.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Things which have been mentioned are the removal of the afternoon tea, the shortening of the hours for happy hour, the significant reduction of food at the Gold/Diamond happy hour as well as the drink quality, the noticable state of disrepair of some of the rooms - particularly overwater rooms, as well as people generally finding the front of house service to be largely disinterested with their issues/complaints.

Significant discussion about it over on the Conrad thread.
The reduction of food at the gold/diamond happy hour should not come as a surprise. I was at CRM in 2013, 2018 and 2019. During the first and last visit (2013 and 2019) the happy hour was exactly the same - drinks and the really small appetizers (In 2013, the afternoon tea was served at Mandhoo, and available only to Diamonds). What I witnessed in 2018, though convenient, was disgraceful. Guests were essentially substituting "dinner" with the offerings of the afternoon tea, and while this would be ok to do in a civilized manner, there was this sense of a "rush to get full while the food lasted". A tray of mini-sandwiches would come out, and within one minute they would be gone. Same went for everything else that was served.

This time around, while attending, I felt that service at Vilu was outstanding. Yes, the alcohol quality for the daily cocktails was not top-shelf, but this is a free hour of bottomless drinks. You would essentially get a "yes sir" for any reasonable refills you asked for. And mostly, I didn't have to ask. My wine glass stayed full for the duration of the 1.5 hrs I would spend there.

As for the state of repair in some of the OWV, I have to agree, but I was a little more forgiving given their impending refurbishing project this year (Mar - Oct).

As far as service went, I felt that I was reasonably accommodated with all of my requests, perhaps a little more so than the other previous two visits (though the buggy and dhoni service was not quite as reliable).

I spent 3 nights at the WA, right before the Conrad visit this year, and while the property is spectacular, and service is impeccable, the island's natural beauty left to be desired. I think it'll get better once the vegetation grows. To me, all of the above shortcomings of the CRM are negligible given the house reef and the spectacular views, especially those from the quiet zone.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:08 am

Room Availability

Looking to book WA now and I see 3 different room types available for standard room bookings: King Reef Villa with Pool, Double Queen Reef Villa with Pool, and King Ocean Villa with Pool.
I was under the impression that "King Ocean Villa" and "King Reef Villa" were the same room, however the cash rate for these 2 rooms are vastly different, King Ocean Villa being significantly more expensive. King Ocean Villa also has no images attached to it, can anyone give some light on this and if these rooms are indeed different from each other?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:55 am

The reduction of food at the gold/diamond happy hour should not come as a surprise. I was at CRM in 2013, 2018 and 2019. During the first and last visit (2013 and 2019) the happy hour was exactly the same - drinks and the really small appetizers (In 2013, the afternoon tea was served at Mandhoo, and available only to Diamonds). What I witnessed in 2018, though convenient, was disgraceful. Guests were essentially substituting "dinner" with the offerings of the afternoon tea, and while this would be ok to do in a civilized manner, there was this sense of a "rush to get full while the food lasted". A tray of mini-sandwiches would come out, and within one minute they would be gone. Same went for everything else that was served.

This time around, while attending, I felt that service at Vilu was outstanding. Yes, the alcohol quality for the daily cocktails was not top-shelf, but this is a free hour of bottomless drinks. You would essentially get a "yes sir" for any reasonable refills you asked for. And mostly, I didn't have to ask. My wine glass stayed full for the duration of the 1.5 hrs I would spend there.

As for the state of repair in some of the OWV, I have to agree, but I was a little more forgiving given their impending refurbishing project this year (Mar - Oct).

As far as service went, I felt that I was reasonably accommodated with all of my requests, perhaps a little more so than the other previous two visits (though the buggy and dhoni service was not quite as reliable).

I spent 3 nights at the WA, right before the Conrad visit this year, and while the property is spectacular, and service is impeccable, the island's natural beauty left to be desired. I think it'll get better once the vegetation grows. To me, all of the above shortcomings of the CRM are negligible given the house reef and the spectacular views, especially those from the quiet zone.
Finally, I heard some comparison about nature scenery between CR and WA .

The recent drop off afternoon tea benefit will not affect us much since I do not like the food in afternoon tea much and because we have a late breakfast daily . But, I think it is better if the afternoon tea still offer to guest . And although we are not heavy alcohol drinker, I still like to try the mocktail of the day and a drink or two is enough for DH . It seems the mocktail is no longer offer in happy hour.

I am still looking for available room at WA, my travel time is beginning of June 2020. If anyone has booked the standard reward room and does not need it anymore, can you please contact me so that I can get the reward room when you cancel it.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by vnfilm1
Finally, I heard some comparison about nature scenery between CR and WA .

The recent drop off afternoon tea benefit will not affect us much since I do not like the food in afternoon tea much and because we have a late breakfast daily . But, I think it is better if the afternoon tea still offer to guest . And although we are not heavy alcohol drinker, I still like to try the mocktail of the day and a drink or two is enough for DH . It seems the mocktail is no longer offer in happy hour.

I am still looking for available room at WA, my travel time is beginning of June 2020. If anyone has booked the standard reward room and does not need it anymore, can you please contact me so that I can get the reward room when you cancel it.
Mocktails are offered upon request. You should have no issue ordering it.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by brandonpkt
Happy you had a nice time at CMRI! Our third stay there last week may be an example of the service downgrade that ScubaRoo is referencing (see my posts and discussion on the Conrad forum).

We are at the WA now and we think it is far superior to the Conrad on many levels (just our personal opinion - of course everyone has a different experience and perspective so YMMV).

persoid I am interested to hear about your experiences at both properties: what is your comparison of the hard and soft product at both WA and Conrad? Also, if you were at the WA recently then there is a chance that we overlapped
I read your posts on the other forum brandonpkt and I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We were at the WA Dec 20-23, and the CRM Dec 23-29. We couldn't book it all at the WA, due to a lack of availability, so we decided to also visit the Conrad again, despite the added transfer cost. It's possible we overlapped at the CRM maybe?

As far as the hard product at both properties goes there's no comparison; the WA is brand new and superior in every aspect. I do agree that the CRM is starting to show its age a bit. I found the service to be comparable at both properties, though we felt much more pressure to "spend" at the WA. Also, the exorbitant price of the yacht transfer at the WA left a very bitter taste. I would not mind paying the higher (yet to be expected) food prices in the Maldives, but I felt that the yacht transfer is designed to rip you off. I hired a private speedboat in 2013 to go visit a local island, and went twice the distance of the WA from Male, and only paid $75.

In terms of natural beauty, I definitely think the Conrad has the edge. It is for this reason that I will be returning to the Conrad. It's what I value most in the Maldives. Hopefully, next year, after the OWV refurbishing project is complete, my experience will be even better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.