Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Evo40
My best guesses:

* The $250 airline incidentals credit will work the same was it does for the AMEX Platinum or Gold. You'll have a to pick an airline each year and can only get reimbursed for non-airfare-ticket expenses like: baggage fees, in-flight dining, ticket change fees club/lounge memberships. Upgrades would be excluded; gifts cards, too (at least by the T&Cs, even if there are workarounds).

* I imagine resorts would be these properties: http://www3.hilton.com/en/resorts/index.html. And it's a beach-heavy/hot-weather-heavy collection
Hmmm.

I definitely don't spend $250 on those kinds airline incidentals each year. I suppose I could look at it as $250 off a lounge membership, but if I have Priority Pass I can reasonably get by on that on most of my trips.

There are some nice hotels in that link, but I can't say I'm at one of those every year. If I'm feeling *forced* to stay at a Hilton beach-type hotel each year, then the benefit starts to feel like a burden. As it is, I have a hard time consuming all of my free hotel nights from credit cards each year from Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton.

I might be content to stay at the Ascend level. Unless I get a very nice offer in early 2018 to up-gauge with some bonus points or a first-year-waived fee. Gold vs. Diamond doesn't mean a ton to me, as I don't spend enough total days in Hiltons with top-notch lounges.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by js1metsfan
Back in Sept, I signed up for the HH Surpass card, spent the 3K and got the 100K bonus special offer. At the end of that billing cycle I got hit with the $75 AF.

Now, I get the e-mail saying on 1/18/18 my Surpass will be changed over to Ascend and I will be charged a $95 AF on 2/2/18?
Doesn't that seem like double dipping on the AF? Or will I only be charged $20 on 2/2/18 and then the $95 on 2/2/19?

Otherwise I'm thinking it would be better to cancel the surpass outright (keeping the 100k points of course, and hopefully getting a pro-rated refund on the $75) and then just signing up for the Aspire in mid-Jan, pay the $450 but enjoy the $500 in credits.

If anyone has any answers on this AF question, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
Josh
My recollection with AF increases at AMEX is the higher AF wasn't charged until the next time you're normally charged it (which would be next September). My guess is that letter is saying anyone whose AF comes due after February 2 will be charged $95 instead of $75.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'd possibly get the $450 new diamond card if I could figure out a way to make the airline benefit work. With our airline status, we don't pay for change fees, luggage, cocktails...I'm wondering if it can be used to purchase Lounge membership...but with the Priority pass benefit even that is not necessary.

I'll probably stick with the $95 Ascend product - Gold has been fine, true about the lounges but most of them you pay for drinks anyway and food is often meh (there are exceptions) so I'll be ok with going back to Gold. We were Diamond this past year and a half and honestly I think I got more upgrades back when we were Gold.
Right now the only domestic airline lounge that accepts PP is Alaska. And unfortunately they are limiting PP swipes when the Boardrooms are crowded (I like using the Boardroom at Seattle and used it at LAX when Delta flew out of T5 and 6 because the offerings are better than the delta lounge).

It may be worth getting the card if I can use the credit towards lounge fees. I really have no use for the airline credit since I have things like bag fees included on Delta and always carry on anyway but would nice for times I want to guest someone into the sky club or I'm at an airport without a skyclub but that has another lounge and I could use it there.

It would be nice if they included Am Ex lounge entrances with the card seeing the high annual fee. If they did I would get the card for sure.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Hi Lauren

Appreciate you are just the messenger. This is a complete joke by Hilton. Makes a mockery of a loyalty scheme. More over Hilton has completely ignored all its members outside the USA. Or does it forget is there is more to it’s company than just America?! Well done Hilton on alienating a lot of people
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yes, with one big exception: Cancel right now! i don't think you can wait until January, Amex has to have plenty of lead time to set up new cards, and so they will doing that presumably earlier in January (if not starting in December?), so that you have the new card by January 30 no matter what shipping troubles, etc.

So IMHO you should cancel ASAP if you plan to cancel anyway, now that all the news is out. (That's what I'm going to do. I have an HH on-fee Amex, but I've had it for more than 7 years, so I would be elegible for another bonus by now, I think, but probably not if they convert my no-fee Citi HH Visa to another no-fee HH Amex.)
I'm thinking this might be the best strategy. Since it's obvious there is no spiff for the changeover, why get entangled in untangling duplicate annual fees, etc.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by Need
You mean you get paid $50 and a weekend Cert to become a Diamond? I could easily spend the $250 Resort credit and $250 incidental, and the weekend cert is worth at least $200. I would probably have kept the conversion to the Ascent card from my Citi Reserve, but now I am going to cancel the Reserve card and apply for the Aspire card.
I was thinking the same thing. I haven’t churned in a couple of years because it was becoming a part time job to me. I went from doing $250k+/yr in MS to maybe $15k this year. I’d have to do another $20k by the end of the year to keep my Diamond status. $450 seems like money well spent.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm not sure why all the hate.

The Ascend card is a worthy replacement for the Reserve. No FX fees and the free weekend night were the two things most important to people. Same Gold benefit and $40k Diamond benefit.

The weekend night threshold bumps up a bit, but the card throws in 10 free lounge passes. If you don't already have a lounge membership and fly 4-5 international trips a year that are likely to have a longer layover, that's a nice perk to have without needing to jump into a $450 card.

Aspire is a whole new option that may or may not be right for you. Amex isn't going to get millions of new applicants that suddenly flood Hiltons with new Diamond room-nights. (They'd be happy if they did, but I seriously doubt it works that way.) Besides, as others have pointed out...properties know their frequent guests. Those people still get prioritized over CC elites.

Every card issuer has the $450 card now. The real target audience for the Aspire is someone who already stays at Hiltons or is willing to start doing so fairly regularly (e.g. elite-level travel). Otherwise, it doesn't really make sense for most people to add this card. The thought of adding it just to do the 1 resort stay, 1 Waldorf stay, and 1 free night is totally a Flyertalker behavior , not something tons of people are going to do.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:00 pm

Hi Lauren, any word on when we would receive the free night certs for $10,000 spend if we have already completed that spend? Are we still going to be waiting for our cardholder anniversary date?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm thinking this might be the best strategy. Since it's obvious there is no spiff for the changeover, why get entangled in untangling duplicate annual fees, etc.
Soon as I saw this news this morning I logged into my account and SM'd to cancel my Citi Hilton Visa. Got the confirmation SM within about 10 minutes.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
So I just noticed, the no fee AmEx card now comes with no foreign transaction fees...I like that. ^
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
My recollection with AF increases at AMEX is the higher AF wasn't charged until the next time you're normally charged it (which would be next September). My guess is that letter is saying anyone whose AF comes due after February 2 will be charged $95 instead of $75.
I don't think they can legally raise the annual fee the first year of having a card anyway unless something has changed in the past five or so years. They'll probably wait until the renewal on the cards to raise it instead of prorating it (not sure if they will give the new benefits in the interim or keep them the same until renewal).

I had a Delta Am Ex gold about five years ago and wanted a Platinum Delta am ex instead for the MQMs and companion cert and when I called Am Ex to upgrade the card I was told they couldn't do it since I had the card for less than a year. Even though I consented to the fee increase and was getting added benefits I was told that the credit card reform act that was recently passed prohibited them raising an annual fee on a credit card within the first year of having it and if I wanted the platinum card I'd have to apply for a new card and then close out the gold card if I didn't want both cards. It sucked because my FICO had to take a hit for a hard pull and some creditors will only allow so many new accounts within a two year period.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Is Hilton going to be coming out with a higher level than Diamond?

This new Hilton Aspire Card devalues Diamond status a great deal. After you get the credits on the card they are essentially paying you to be a Diamond member.

Not sure what Hilton was thinking here unless they have plans for an even higher status

Lifetime Diamond feels like a joke at this point
I find you statement ludicrous. the Hilton corporations is not given anything for free. what difference that makes if you have a Diamond status via Amex centurion or you have the new Hilton honors Aspire card ($450.00)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
What happens if I have a Citi Reserve and AMEX Surpass? Am I really going to have two AMEX Hilton cards?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Right now the only domestic airline lounge that accepts PP is Alaska.
AS is the only DEDICATED airline lounge in the US, but there are more generic lounges in many US airports that accept PP, particularly those with flights to Asia and Europe. For example, I have had success accessing lounges which accept PP in BOS, EWR, MCO and SJC, all happened to be in reasonable proximity to AS gates. In the case of BOS and MCO, it was necessary to pass through security twice, not too much of an issue, thanks to PreCheck.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RolfD
I find you statement ludicrous. the Hilton corporations is not given anything for free. what difference that makes if you have a Diamond status via Amex centurion or you have the new Hilton honors Aspire card ($450.00)
Did you not read the benefits of the Aspire card? Or you are so math-challenged that you cannot see the "rebates"?

The card gives $250 credit on airline incidentals pretty much the same way as the AMEX Plat card.

The card also gives $250 credit on stays at Hilton hotels and Resort.

These 2 alone, already is $50 MORE than the $450 fee charged.

Not to mention you also get the complementary Priority Pass for airport lounge access.

Oh, there is also a $100 credit for staying at W-A brand.

And the 14pts per $ earning at Hilton properties....

It remains to be seen HOW the $250 stay credit is defined. From the surface of what are known so far, you are PAID $50 to become a fake Diamond plus other benefits.

Pretty sure AMEX does not eat all the costs of the benefits associated with the Aspire card. Though your comment sounds like you think Hilton corp does not bear any of those costs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.