Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Personal + Business card on one Honors account?

Question for Lauren: Now that AMEX will be offering a business card, will it be possible for to connect both a business and personal card to one Honors account?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Now that you have LTD you can pick and choose where you stay; Hilton knows this and they know of the many hundreds/thousands of other members in your exact same situation who can pick and choose now that "earning" status is not even a consideration. They need new or existing members who are handed out (apart from paying $450) status so they can (maybe blindly) choose to stay at their hotels more often.
Totally agree with you 100%
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
I don't see what all of the hoopla is about, especially for the Aspire card. I feel it will have very limited appeal and it will be an even more limited group that will "get paid $50" to use it.

- If you are an elite in your airline, you are exempt from many of the fees so the incidental fee credit will be of limited use. If you travel for business, your company probably picked these up anyway.
- The Hilton resort credit only applies to a limited set of properties and even then, if you are a true HH elite you would be paying with points.
- The Waldorf credit is even more restrictive and I doubt if I would ever use it, certainly not every year.

One Diamond benefit that no one mentioned is the free upgrade to the premium Internet so if you stayed 20 nights, that would have about a $60 - $100 value, but again, if you are on business, your company would probably be paying.

Are the Priority Pass coupons free entry or do you still have to pay the $27 to get in? If so, that makes it pretty worthless unless you are a heavy drinker.

I don't see a high take rate for the Aspire card. Diamond by itself is not worth the cost and the other perqs are pretty limited.

Full disclosure: I have had the Surpass card for several years as I was an "amost-gold" player in the HH program and the gold status with the breakfast "My Way" benefit paid for the card. I got occasional lounge access at full service Hiltions and most of the domestic lounges are nothing to brag about (there are some exceptions). The equivalent Ascend card may still be worth it.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:27 pm

Hi Lauren,
Thanks for the details. Quick question.
1. Can extra cards be issued on the Amex Hilton Honors card? Cost?
2. If i apply for the current Amex Hilton card today, I assume it will be replaced in January with the new card. if a better signup bonus is offerred on the new cards will I receive the newer bonus?
thanks for your help

Last edited by peter1962; Nov 1, 2017 at 4:34 pm Reason: corrected terminology
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Lauren,

Does the $450 Aspire Amex do anything towards entrance into the Amex airport lounges?

I'm at Seattle airport all the time and walk by the little Amex lounge there, been interested in checking it out.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, UA Gold, HH Lifetime DIA, WoH Globalist
First it was Hyatt sticking it to their Diamond members with WoH. I can only hope Hilton doesn't do the same to their LTD members.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:42 pm
cjd

Lauren,

Any new cards coming for your UK Hilton Honors members with these great benefits or are we and other worldwide Honors members not worthy of these offers and just to be ignored?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Question for Lauren: Now that AMEX will be offering a business card, will it be possible for to connect both a business and personal card to one Honors account?

Should be no problem as you can link the Delta business and personal cards to one Delta account.

SPG works the same way, same with American ( Citi) and Marriott ( Chase)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
'Huge devaluation?" Overreact much?

Meh. This is irrelevant to my experience as a diamond.

Never understood the hype about upgrades. It's just more space that I don't need.

the only diamond perk that matters is the bonus points.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by aviationwiz
Will the statement credit apply to points/certificate bookings that have the Aspire card tied to the booking, or only certain paid rates? Thanks!

Same question, can I book an award stay and use the credit to pay for anything I charge to my room ?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

It may be worth getting the card if I can use the credit towards lounge fees. I really have no use for the airline credit since I have things like bag fees included on Delta and always carry on anyway but would nice for times I want to guest someone into the sky club or I'm at an airport without a skyclub but that has another lounge and I could use it there.

It would be nice if they included Am Ex lounge entrances with the card seeing the high annual fee. If they did I would get the card for sure.
According to the Amex forum, we should be able to use the airline credit to purchase multiple $50 Delta gift cards, which can be applied to airfare. If that doesn't work, I'll probably use it for Sky Club membership, which I currently purchase with points.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Does the $450 Aspire Amex do anything towards entrance into the Amex airport lounges?
While I'm not Lauren... If that card had Centurion Lounges access, I'm sure it would have been announced. Also Amex recently cut the access policy to Platinum and Centurion cards only, so I'd presume the Aspire provides no Centurion Lounge access.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Hey Lauren,

Thanks for taking the time to read all our nuanced questions.

I have a few more specific to my situation that I couldn't exactly answer for myself from reading the Hilton FAQ.

1. I had the Surpass years ago and downgraded to an AMEX Hilton. Is it possible for me to get the Ascend sign up bonus, or does AMEX consider that as the same product under the once-in-a-lifetime rules?

2. My wife has the Citi Reserve, but has never had the Surpass card. If her Citi Reserve gets converted to an Ascend in January, then will she ever be able to get the sign up bonus from the Ascend?

3. How long after we reach the 10K Citi Reserve spend will we receive our free night certificates? Will it be at the end of our cardmember year, or a certain # of weeks after reaching the 10K threshold?

3a. If it is after our Feb 2018 cardmember anniversary, then do we need to keep our Reserve and let it be converted to an Ascend in order to meet the terms for receiving the free night cert, or could we downgrade/cancel?

3b. If we receive the cert just a few weeks after we meet the 10K threshold, then how long after we meet the threshold do we need to keep the Reserve open in order to receive the cert? If we downgrade/cancel the Reserve/Ascend before the cardmember anniversary, will we receive the cert?

Thanks so much!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:46 pm

Another question in regard to the free night. Do you have to stay within a year of receiving it or just book within a year of receiving it? For citi cert, you had to stay, just curious if it is the same for AMEX cert.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RolfD
Amex Platinum {(gold Status) Cost 600 Euros per year} and Amex Centurion{( Diamond Status) cost 2500 Euros per year offer a wide array of benefits [ from insurance to concierge service] as this Amex Hilton card and still they made money. Since Amex collect 1.9% for each transaction and I believe that the Hilton corporation will be taking a percentange of each transaction made with this cards.

Maybe you don't see the business value for Amex and Hilton but let me assure this a contract is worth hundred of millions of dollars for the duration of the contract.
Your are comparing Vanilla to Chocolate.

This is a US-based Hilton card. Nothing to do with the cards you mentioned. Plain and simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.