Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader

They are targeted at very different market segments. The Ascend is meant to be their everyday spending, average joe kind of card.
​​​​​​​The Aspire, on the other hand, is a purely traveler kind of card. Everything about it is travel related. Free night, free status, airline credit and resort credit, all travel related freebies. Therefore, the spending categories align perfectly with the rest of the card.
See, I kind of looked at it like, there are 3 cards, and they progressively got better, not different cards geared to different type of spenders.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader

They are targeted at very different market segments. The Ascend is meant to be their everyday spending, average joe kind of card.
The Aspire, on the other hand, is a purely traveler kind of card. Everything about it is travel related. Free night, free status, airline credit and resort credit, all travel related freebies. Therefore, the spending categories align perfectly with the rest of the card.
And for people who spend a lot of money with Hilton's who can earn diamond the traditional way in a lot of cases it would make sense for them to get the Aspire even though the diamond status benefit won't matter seeing they'll be getting 14 points per $ spent at Hilton and obviously the free night benefit will be used.

Something I am surprised they didn't do was give an additional benefit to people that have diamond from stays/nights/points like giving them a few suite upgrade certificates or giving them highest priority for upgrades or somehting like a credit for a couple free drinks on every stay.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Went ahead and bought a $100 AA gift card. Amex reimbursement came through a few days later
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA (Gold)
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Went ahead and bought a $100 AA gift card. Amex reimbursement came through a few days later
Somewhat related - do you know if AA gift cards can be used onboard for duty free purchases? Don't really have a need for gift cards to purchase tickets ATM but thinking maybe could use this credit for gift cards for duty free.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ckiggins
Somewhat related - do you know if AA gift cards can be used onboard for duty free purchases? Don't really have a need for gift cards to purchase tickets ATM but thinking maybe could use this credit for gift cards for duty free.
No, they can only be used to purchase flights. Here is the information that comes with the gift card -

American Airlines Gift Cards are only redeemable at AA.com or with American Airlines Reservations at 800-433-7300. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

If booking on AA.com, just enter your Gift Card number and PIN as your form of payment when booking a flight. Your American Airlines Gift Cards can easily be used to book travel on American Airlines® and American Eagle® flights. Gift Cards may also be used for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner or Codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Terms and Conditions apply. Questions? Contact American Airlines at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ckiggins
I highly doubt it, the gift cards are super restrictive. Found out the hard way when I tried to use a gift card to pay for a OSL-LAX ticket and learned the trip needs to originate in the US or US territories.

Here is what the terms say

American Airlines Gift Cards are only redeemable at AA.com or with American Airlines Reservations at 800-433-7300. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
How is this going to work with the annual fee and the ascend and the free night.

I have the $10K spend in on Citi for the free night and realize it won't post until my anniversary date. I have no intentions on keeping this card (unless for some reason Am Ex won't approve me for the Aspire and then I'll just upgrade this card after the free night posts).

I'm assuming the annual fee will have to be paid but will I be able to get a full refund on the annual fee once the free night posts if I cancel right after? The free night is still worth paying the annual fee for but I hate paying annual fee for a card I won't use plus I already paid the annual fee for half of 2018 planning on reaching diamond status with 40K spend which isn't going to happen.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:59 am

Will you be able to buy a Delta gift card and be reimbursed by Amex?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IncredibleDeals
See this thread for information about Delta reimbursement.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-dl-only.html
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
How is this going to work with the annual fee and the ascend and the free night.

I have the $10K spend in on Citi for the free night and realize it won't post until my anniversary date. I have no intentions on keeping this card (unless for some reason Am Ex won't approve me for the Aspire and then I'll just upgrade this card after the free night posts).

I'm assuming the annual fee will have to be paid but will I be able to get a full refund on the annual fee once the free night posts if I cancel right after? The free night is still worth paying the annual fee for but I hate paying annual fee for a card I won't use plus I already paid the annual fee for half of 2018 planning on reaching diamond status with 40K spend which isn't going to happen.
Amex prorates the annual fee if you cancel a card. You may want to take advantage of the fact the Ascend card gives you a free night after $15K of spending and get it in before you cancel the card. This way you will get 2 free nights + 1 for the Aspire.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Just got the Aspire card earlier this week. For the Plat card I recently switched my travel reimbursement from UA to Delta. I haven't made any choice yet for the Aspire card. Is it correct to assume that I don't have to make my initial Aspire choice in January (aka "today") and can make it any time over the course of the year (and then change it next January)?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by IncredibleDeals
Just wanted to post a data point and share my experience. I selected Delta and have, over the course of 7 days, purchased 5 $50 Delta egift cards.

I waited a couple days between each transaction to avoid having multiple transactions lumped together.

https://www.delta.com/egift/eGiftPurchase.action

So far, 3 of the 5 credits have posted, corresponding to the 3 oldest transactions.

My understanding is $50 is the highest limit. Anything higher may not get reimbursed.

American Airlines should also work for amounts that are up to $100, but I don't have personal experience with AA.
Between the two airlines, Delta made more sense for my personal habits and itineraries. Good Luck.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
$50 is the limit per giftcard, but you can buy multiple in one shot. They will post individually as $50 charges and get credited. At least that is how it works for the Plat card, I just completed my purchases.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Just wanted to post a data point and share my experience. I selected Delta and have, over the course of 7 days, purchased 5 $50 Delta egift cards.

I waited a couple days between each transaction to avoid having multiple transactions lumped together.

https://www.delta.com/egift/eGiftPurchase.action

So far, 3 of the 5 credits have posted, corresponding to the 3 oldest transactions.

My understanding is $50 is the highest limit. Anything higher may not get reimbursed.

American Airlines should also work for amounts that are up to $100, but I don't have personal experience with AA.
Between the two airlines, Delta made more sense for my personal habits and itineraries. Good Luck.
One caveat for readers: if you click on that link on a phone or tablet, you might be redirected to a different site (https://buy-m.giftcards.delta.com/) which is Delta’s mobile payment processor. Purchases through that mobile site will not be reimbursed. (I learned the hard way.) Make sure you stay on the www.delta.com site.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite; World of Hyatt Globalist
Just received my Aspire card. Surprised that it's not a metal one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.