Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I thought I was going to apply (new) when I first heard about the Aspire card, but I realized a couple of things...We are Diamond with Hilton until 3/2019, plus we are Gold with our Airline of choice until 2019, so those 2 benefits are irrelevant. (no change/cancel fees on our airline).

Plus, I came to the realization that if everything is a wash (you pay $450 and get that much in benefits) you are not gaining anything. I will easily hit $15,000 with the Ascend (formerly Surpass) so I'll get a free night (and there is NO WAY I'd hit $60,000). If our ONE resort stay gets cancelled, I will lose the resort benefit, and if we don't book a W-A (at a questionable advantage) no benefit there, either.

Maybe next year when we're no longer Diamond with Hilton, and no longer have Gold no-fee with our airline, the Aspire will make sense.

I might regret not capitalizing on the 100,000 bonus points now, but if everyone thinks a better offer will be in the future, what would be great...
Gift cards trigger the airline credit on a couple airlines (not sure about Alaska). I'm planning on doing that for the credit with Delta since they are the only airline I use and I would have no use for the credit since GoGo purchases don't apply.

I doubt we'll see a bonus better than the 100K and quite honestly I hope they don't give a better bonus seeing how devalued HH points are, I'd rather they make the points worth something than to keep handing them out. If they do lower the sign up bonus I'm sure there'll be some kind of notice so people will still have time to take advantage of it like when Chase realized how much they were losing on the lucrative sign up bonus on the CSR, I doubt they'll just make the change overnight with no announcement.

If someone has a stay at a resort property coming up then it would make sense to apply for the card now.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Aspire $100 on-property credit - can anyone with an Aspire card suggest how rates at HiltonHonors.com/aspirecard compare? Wondering how much relative value I can get. Thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:39 pm

Yeah, that’s why we pulled the trigger on the Aspire cards. I figured out that the place we were going to go at the end of March is a resort, so between the two of us, we will get $1000 in credits plus the 200,000 points and once the citi cards convert we won’t be getting any new Amex credit cards, so we also picked up a business card each as well.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 54austin
Aspire $100 on-property credit - can anyone with an Aspire card suggest how rates at HiltonHonors.com/aspirecard compare? Wondering how much relative value I can get. Thanks.
I was just looking at the London NYC for the last weekend in March. The Honors discount rate for a London Suite was $407/night. The Aspire rate was $429/night.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JRRinNC
Why not just apply for a new Aspire card and get the 100K bonus? That's what I did (and have both the Citi and Amex versions of Surpass/Ascend) and there does not appear to have been any hard credit pull since I'm already in their system. I'll just cancel one of my Ascend cards after I'm certain I've received any certs I'm due.
It could make a big difference to someone who is wanting to apply for Chase cards. Chase does not count pulls, they count the number of credit cards showing on your credit report (which in the case of Amex does not include business cards) with an "opened on" date in the past 24 months. If you have 5 or more, they're extremely likely to deny you for most Chase cards (the so-called 5/24 rule).

Upgrading a card you've had for years works around this problem, because the card you upgrade to inherits the original card;s "opened on" date.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Upgrading a card you've had for years works around this problem, because the card you upgrade to inherits the original card;s "opened on" date.
Which also may help credit score compared to closing a well aged account and opening a new one. Though we're probably talking about 10-15 points max. Which could matter if you're just over 800
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The fine print says if you change your card type you lose the citi free night and I have my $10K spend already in on my card
But why would applying for a new card affect the free night certificate from Citi?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Andriyko
But why would applying for a new card affect the free night certificate from Citi?
it wouldn't if you applied for a new card, that was just a warning for people thinking of upgrading their card.

In my case it wouldn't pay to apply for a new card right now and pay two annual fees to Am Ex, I'll just wait until the free night post and upgrade the card or get a new card and cancel this one.

New card benefits wont do me much good since I'm already diamond and have no resort stays in the near future. The extra HH points would be nice but I'm trying to keep my top tier at Hyatt so most of my stays are going there right now instead of Hilton.

Applying for a new card could also affect heavy card churners with the Chase 5/24 rule.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
it wouldn't if you applied for a new card, that was just a warning for people thinking of upgrading their card.

In my case it wouldn't pay to apply for a new card right now and pay two annual fees to Am Ex, I'll just wait until the free night post and upgrade the card or get a new card and cancel this one.

New card benefits wont do me much good since I'm already diamond and have no resort stays in the near future. The extra HH points would be nice but I'm trying to keep my top tier at Hyatt so most of my stays are going there right now instead of Hilton.

Applying for a new card could also affect heavy card churners with the Chase 5/24 rule.
I too am going to wait for an upgrade offer; earn Diamond on stays, next planned Hilton resort stay is in late October, do not plan to meet the free night stay min spend, just received the new Biz card, where I will earn bonuses for biz spend, stays. Not too concerned with credit pulls.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Can anyone share what exactly are considered "Airline Credits"? I have read many webpages and statements and the only explicit mentioning of Airline Credit is luggage fee. (and of course what are NOT airline credits: tickets, buying points, etc.) For example: if I buy food and merchandise onboard are those considered Airline Credit and reimbursable? Anything else in your experience?
Food and beverage onboard are eligible. On Delta, the taxes on mileage tickets get reimbursed.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
Food and beverage onboard are eligible. On Delta, the taxes on mileage tickets get reimbursed.
Interesting about the mileage tickets. I wonder if the "luxury tax" you pay on GUC's used out of Heathrow are reimbursed since Delta charges those separately
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:29 am

So I tried to read through most of these post but I didn't really see anyone bring this up.

Aspire:

14x on Hilton
7X Airline, Car and Restaurants
3X Everything else

Ascend:

12X Hilton
6X Restaurants, Supermarkets, Gas
3X Everything else

Now not taking any other perks of the cards into account and for someone who doesn't constantly stay at hotels and has another "premium card". I can't see any reason to get the Aspire over the Ascend. In my case I have a chase sapphire reserve which I use for Food and Travel, I had a Amex Blue cash I was using for Gas, Supermarkets and Dept Stores and A Chase Freedom Unlimited for everything else. My goal was to replace the Blue Cash with the Hilton Honors. This if I need to book a Hotel I'll have Hilton Honor Points from the bonus, Groceries and Gas, and I still have the Chase Sapphire Reserve for airfare etc.

Anyways maybe you won't agree but I sort of feel like Amex should have included the 6x (or 7x) points on gas and supermarkets also on the Aspire The average person probably spends around $3600 on groceries a year, so thats 21,600 points plus another 7,200 points for gas.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by howie411
So I tried to read through most of these post but I didn't really see anyone bring this up.

Aspire:

14x on Hilton
3X Everything else

Ascend:

12X Hilton
3X Everything else

Now not taking any other perks of the cards into account and for someone who doesn't constantly stay at hotels and has another "premium card". I can't see any reason to get the Aspire over the Ascend. In my case I have a chase sapphire reserve which I use for Food and Travel, I had a Amex Blue cash I was using for Gas, Supermarkets and Dept Stores and A Chase Freedom Unlimited for everything else. My goal was to replace the Blue Cash with the Hilton Honors. This if I need to book a Hotel I'll have Hilton Honor Points from the bonus, Groceries and Gas, and I still have the Chase Sapphire Reserve for airfare etc.

Anyways maybe you won't agree but I sort of feel like Amex should have included the 6x (or 7x) points on gas and supermarkets also on the Aspire The average person probably spends around $3600 on groceries a year, so thats 21,600 points plus another 7,200 points for gas.
i agree on the point the aspire is weaker than the ascend when it comes to earning on everyday purchases.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by howie411

Aspire:

14x on Hilton
3X Everything else

Ascend:

12X Hilton
3X Everything else

They are targeted at very different market segments. The Ascend is meant to be their everyday spending, average joe kind of card.
​​​​​​​The Aspire, on the other hand, is a purely traveler kind of card. Everything about it is travel related. Free night, free status, airline credit and resort credit, all travel related freebies. Therefore, the spending categories align perfectly with the rest of the card.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader

They are targeted at very different market segments. The Ascend is meant to be their everyday spending, average joe kind of card.
The Aspire, on the other hand, is a purely traveler kind of card. Everything about it is travel related. Free night, free status, airline credit and resort credit, all travel related freebies. Therefore, the spending categories align perfectly with the rest of the card.
Your analysis is very interesting and helpful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.