Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I wonder how difficult it is going to be to qualify for the Aspire card?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
There are several threads at once about this stuff, so I'm not linking, but elsewhere it was reported that using one's Platinum card, with Delta as the designated airline, did not result in a credit for a paid lounge drink.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I don't think I've ever been in a lounge that charged for F&B?
The AS Lounge @ LAX does for actual meals (pizza, etc.).

Delta lounges charge for "top shelf" (non-included) liquor; you can either pay with a credit card, or have Skypesos deducted from your DL account.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
There are several threads at once about this stuff, so I'm not linking, but elsewhere it was reported that using one's Platinum card, with Delta as the designated airline, did not result in a credit for a paid lounge drink.
The Alaska Air lounges don't check anything when you ask for a drink, as long as you're in there I guess they assume you're good. The trick with the Alaska lounges is getting in there with a Priority Pass.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:00 pm

The AS Lounge @ LAX does for actual meals (pizza, etc.).

Delta lounges charge for "top shelf" (non-included) liquor; you can either pay with a credit card, or have Skypesos deducted from your DL account.
I've never eaten anything in the AS lounges except pancakes, soup, cheese & veggies. Didn't even know they had pizza!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
The Alaska Air lounges don't check anything when you ask for a drink, as long as you're in there I guess they assume you're good. The trick with the Alaska lounges is getting in there with a Priority Pass.
Alaska lounges do, indeed, have top shelf liquor (by their definition) for sale, in addition to the complimentary offerings. if that's what you mean by "check" (request payment)?

I don't think they sell food @ SEA (though I may be mistaken).
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Possibly because there is no rational response to people complaining about something that did not happen. There has been no change to the benefits of Diamond status.
If you are instead talking about the jealousy that is being written about that some others might get some benefits that apparently should be reserved for a chosen few, then I don't think that Lauren is in a position to reverse a decision made during negotiations between AMEX and Hilton.
Captain Knowledge is in the house. Lauren is not qualified to answer anything but you feel like you know everything. Thanks for the informative post
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped

The weekend night threshold bumps up a bit, but the card throws in 10 free lounge passes. If you don't already have a lounge membership and fly 4-5 international trips a year that are likely to have a longer layover, that's a nice perk to have without needing to jump into a $450 card.
Any idea when these will be mailed out? In January when we get the new card or at the end of the card holder's anniversary year? I have some trips planned for February and would love to use them.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Now that you have LTD you can pick and choose where you stay; Hilton knows this and they know of the many hundreds/thousands of other members in your exact same situation who can pick and choose now that "earning" status is not even a consideration. They need new or existing members who are handed out (apart from paying $450) status so they can (maybe blindly) choose to stay at their hotels more often.
If they did not do stupid things like this, giving Diamond our for free, I would have been loyal to them
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:06 pm

Alaska lounges do, indeed, have top shelf liquor (by their definition) for sale, in addition to the complimentary offerings. if that's what you mean by "check" (request payment)?

I don't think they sell food @ SEA (though I may be mistaken).
Thanks for the edification, I've never seen food for sale in PDX, either, and my husband usually goes and gets the (free) drinks.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:11 pm

Important question for lauren

I received an e-mail from Hilton last night informing me that on 1/18/18 my Surpass Card would become an Ascend Card. The prototype of the card in the e-mail shows that the Hilton Honors Account # will be imprinted on the front of the new AmEx c0branded cards.
If this is so, WHY WOULD I WANT TO GIVE OUT MY HH# TO ANY SERVER OR SALESCLERK THAT I HAND MY CC TO???
Will there be an opt-out choice for this? In an age of security concerns, and where many have had their Hilton accounts hacked, this would seem a serious design flaw.
I would appreciate your passing on my feedback and letting me know if cards have to carry the HH Account #.
Thank you.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by freestay
The prototype of the card in the e-mail shows that the Hilton Honors Account # will be imprinted on the front of the new AmEx c0branded cards.
If this is so, WHY WOULD I WANT TO GIVE OUT MY HH# TO ANY SERVER OR SALESCLERK THAT I HAND MY CC TO???
Will there be an opt-out choice for this? In an age of security concerns, and where many have had their Hilton accounts hacked, this would seem a serious design flaw.
Giving out your hotel program account number is safer than giving out your credit card number. But you have no problem handing over your credit card to other people everyday.

Hyatt and Marriot credit cards have holders program account number printed on them for years. Nothing serious resulted from it. If anything it's the account holder's own stupidity that their private account is compromised, then a number printed on a card.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by RolfD
just because you have not been invited to have a centurion card it does not belittle the benefits of the card. I will point out that benefits of the card outweighs the cost of the card (e.g Delta Platinum Medallion status, Hilton Honors Diamond status)

and Finally just because I work in Germany it does not mean that i am detach from my home state NY
Sorry but Delta Platinum and Hilton Diamond to do not offset the cost of the Centurion card.
I had Centurion business card for a few years, all fees paid by the company and we got rid of it because of the fees. $5000 just to get it, $2500 per year after, complete joke.
It is a status symbol to many and something the rest of us laugh at those people about.
Get a PERSONAL Centurion card and maybe I will be slightly more impressed....but not much
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:20 pm

why is the "huge devaluation of Diamond status" thread redirecting to this credit card thread?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
to ability to have more fake diamond members who simply shell out $450.

I guess short cuts to status for $$ is the new name of the game.
Making profits have been the name of the game, and Hilton is getting better at it.

The $450 isn't just a one-time deal. Hilton knows these people will stay with them more. And the people that doesn't blink an eye having a credit card that charges $450 annual fee are also the sort of people that tend to only stay at high-end Hilton properties (not racking up stays/nights at low-end discount properties), and spend money on Hilton properties (not just pay the minimal night charges and eat at McDonalds).

Give Hilton credit. They really figured out all these variables and realized this is a big win for them. Will they make some people mad and leave? Sure. Will they gain a bunch of high premium travelers? You bet.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:28 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Now that AMEX will be offering a business card, will it be possible for to connect both a business and personal card to one Honors account?
Yes, you'll be able to connect both business and personal cards to one Hilton Honors account.

Can extra cards be issued on the Amex Hilton Honors card? Cost?

Yes, you can add supplemental cards to your account and there is no cost. The supplemental card holder would be tied to the originator’s card account. Any spend on the card earns Points to the originator’s Hilton Honors account and toward a weekend night reward and Diamond status. However, the supplemental card holder does not receive his/her own weekend night reward, Gold status or other card benefits.

If I apply for the current Amex Hilton card today, I assume it will be replaced in January with the new card. If a better signup bonus is offered on the new cards, will I receive the newer bonus?
You will only be eligible to receive one signup Bonus.

Does the $450 Aspire Amex do anything towards entrance into the Amex airport lounges?
The Aspire card offers unlimited access for the card holder and two guests at any Priority Pass lounges around the world. The passes are only valid at Priority Pass lounges.

I had the Surpass years ago and downgraded to an AMEX Hilton. Is it possible for me to get the Ascend sign up bonus, or does AMEX consider that as the same product under the once-in-a-lifetime rules?
That would be a question best answered by Amex, as it relates to their once-in-a-lifetime bonus rules. Recommend contacting Amex directly.

My wife has the Citi Reserve, but has never had the Surpass card. If her Citi Reserve gets converted to an Ascend in January, then will she ever be able to get the sign up bonus from the Ascend?
Once her Reserve card transfers to Ascend on January 30, 2018, she will have an Ascend card account and will not earn a signup Bonus as it will not require a signup.

How long after we reach the 10K Citi Reserve spend will we receive our free night certificates? Will it be at the end of our cardmember year, or a certain # of weeks after reaching the 10K threshold?

Citi Reserve cardmembers who have already spent the $10,000 should receive the email with the reward code in it within 6-8 weeks of the cardmember year. Your account must be open and current at the time the reward code is issued.

If it is after our Feb 2018 cardmember anniversary, then do we need to keep our Reserve and let it be converted to an Ascend in order to meet the terms for receiving the free night cert, or could we downgrade/cancel?
Yes, per the terms of the Reserve card, your card account must be open and current at the time the reward code is issued.

If we receive the cert just a few weeks after we meet the 10K threshold, then how long after we meet the threshold do we need to keep the Reserve open in order to receive the cert? If we downgrade/cancel the Reserve/Ascend before the cardmember anniversary, will we receive the cert?
In order to receive the weekend night reward code, your Reserve/Ascend card account must be open and current to receive the reward code.

Do you have to stay within a year of receiving it or just book within a year of receiving it? For Citi cert, you had to stay, just curious if it is the same for AMEX cert.

You must stay within a year of receiving your weekend night reward.

So I signed up for the Surpass recently under the offer which offered the 100k sign up bonus after the $3k spend PLUS a free night after paying the second year annual fee. Based on what I’m reading Surpass holders will be upgraded to the Ascend card which will offer a free weekend night after spending $15k annually.
This brings up the following questions:
1. I assume free night on Surpass deal will be honored if I keep card after one year. Correct?

Correct
2. If I spend $15k once my card is moved over to the Ascend I will get a second free weekend night. Correct?
Correct

I applied for the Surpass in July of this year. Do I have to wait a certain amount of time before I can upgrade to the Aspire?

You can upgrade to the Aspire card starting on January 18, 2018.

Is the $75 Annual Fee I already paid credited towards the $450 AF on the Aspire?
Also a question for Amex - ask about annual fee credits.

I'm unclear about obtaining Diamond status if one gets the Ascend Card.
If you have the card, do you get Diamond status only if you spend at least $40,000 using the card?

The only way to get Diamond with the Ascend card is by placing $40,000 in charges on the card.

In regards to the Aspire One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio with your new Card and each year of Card Membership:
Is that a particular certificate (I think there was a "be our guest" or some other certificate)?
Or is that a *reward* stay (standard room)?
Also, are there any other restrictions on that? Like some of the certificates could only be used at an actual Hilton (not Conrad, or Waldorf Astoria, etc.) hotel.
I'm assuming if it's a *reward* stay then it'll be capacity-controlled and other restrictions ?

You will receive a weekend night reward after 60 days of Aspire card membership and then one every card anniversary year of membership. It is a reward stay for a standard room and a code is delivered via email from Hilton Honors so be sure to have your preferred email address on your Hilton Honors account. You will need to call Hilton Honors with the code received in the email and the stay must be completed within 12 months of issuance. Valid nights are Friday, Saturday and Sunday. There are some hotels that are excluded: hiltonhonors.com/weekendreward

I know some of you have had other cards that give the airline credit, so can you please explain some things to me...
Your airline incidental credit will appear each statement until you have used up the $250 each year. It's the same process as other Amex credit cards that offer this benefit.

Will an AU be free on the Aspire card?

You can add an additional user to your account and there is no cost. The additional user would be tied to the originator’s card account. Any spend on the card earns Points to the originator’s Hilton Honors account and toward a weekend night reward. However, the additional user does not receive his/her own weekend night reward, Diamond status or other card benefits.

Thanks all,
Lauren

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.