FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:16 pm
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
My recollection with AF increases at AMEX is the higher AF wasn't charged until the next time you're normally charged it (which would be next September). My guess is that letter is saying anyone whose AF comes due after February 2 will be charged $95 instead of $75.
I don't think they can legally raise the annual fee the first year of having a card anyway unless something has changed in the past five or so years. They'll probably wait until the renewal on the cards to raise it instead of prorating it (not sure if they will give the new benefits in the interim or keep them the same until renewal).

I had a Delta Am Ex gold about five years ago and wanted a Platinum Delta am ex instead for the MQMs and companion cert and when I called Am Ex to upgrade the card I was told they couldn't do it since I had the card for less than a year. Even though I consented to the fee increase and was getting added benefits I was told that the credit card reform act that was recently passed prohibited them raising an annual fee on a credit card within the first year of having it and if I wanted the platinum card I'd have to apply for a new card and then close out the gold card if I didn't want both cards. It sucked because my FICO had to take a hit for a hard pull and some creditors will only allow so many new accounts within a two year period.