Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Points Pooling - Account Closed. Beware !!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaldivesFreak
Here is a link to Hilton T & C on pooling:

http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/p...money/faq.html

1. What is Points Pooling?
Points Pooling will allow Hilton Honors Members to combine their Points with family and friends to book a stay. With this perk, a Member (and up to 10 others) will now be able to combine their Points. For example, if a group of friends are taking a trip together and individually don’t have enough Points to cover their entire stay, they will now be able to combine their Points, free of charge, into one account to unlock new redemption opportunities.

2. Is there a fee to participate in the Points Pooling program?
No, there is no fee to participate in Points Pooling.

3. How many people can contribute to Points Pooling?
A total of 11 Hilton Honors Members can pool their Points together. One Member initiates the pooling and up to 10 other Members can contribute.

4. Do I need to create a new "pooled" account?
No. Members can use their existing account.

5. How many Points Pools can I be in?
There is no limit on the number of pools a member can be in at a given time.

6. Can you use Pooled Points for just room rates or can it be used for non-room rewards including shopping and experiences?
Yes, once Points are pooled, they can be used for any room or non-room reward product, including the experiences available on the Hilton Honors auction platform, Hilton Honors Shopping Mall and any other non-room reward products.

7. Can you combine Pooled Points with money?
Once Points are pooled they can be used for any room reward product, including a Points & Money Rewards™ reward reservation.

8. What is the minimum/maximum number of Points that can be pooled?
A Member can transfer a minimum of 1,000 Points and a maximum of 500,000 Points into a pool in a calendar year. A Member can receive up to 2 million Points in a calendar year.

9. Are there particular qualifications you must meet to be able to pool Points?
To use Points Pooling, you must be an active Member, be in the program for 30 days, and have a minimum Points balance of 1,000 Points.

10. When will Points Pooling be available?
Points Pooling is now available. Start pooling your Hilton Honors Points here.

11. When will the Points be shown in the other Member’s account and be ready for use?
The transferred or pooled Points will be available for use at the time of transfer, but please allow up to 24 hours for pooled Points to show up when you log in to your account.

12. Where and how do I Points Pool once I have a group of Members that want to combine Points?
All Points Pooling activities will be transacted online via HiltonHonors.com.

13. Where do I go to transfer my Points to the Points Pool initiator?
The Points contributor must access the transfer page through the Points Pool invitation email sent on behalf ot the Points Pool initiator.

14. What’s the difference between Points Pooling and Points Transfer?
Points Transfer is a 1:1 transaction, while Points Pooling allows for combining Hilton Honors Points with up to 10 other people (11 including yourself).

15. After I send Points to a friend for Pooling, what happens if he/she cancels the trip? How can I get my Points back?
If your friend has to cancel his/her trip, he/she can simply transfer the Points back to your account for free.
Print Wikipost

Hilton Points Pooling - Account Closed. Beware !!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
My guess is they are pooling points by using a points / miles broker. The broker offers to pay them money to pool their points with several others he is buying points from, along with the person who is buying points from him. He profits from the sale of the points, and the person buying from him gets a pretty good deal. However, this violates the T&C.

This is a common issue in the AA forum - people get their accounts closed for selling miles to a broker (or buying from one). I'm guessing either Hilton didn't have the means to detect this previously, or that pooling points has made it significantly easier.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This is the response that I got. We sincerely apologize for having closed your account and canceled your reservations due to an error on our part. As compensation for our error and the inconvenience caused by it, we have good willed enough points to your account to cover both reservations. I think the system is still having problems with the pooling feature. My mother in law has tried to pool some points with my wife in the past and it never went through. Both accounts are still open. They never explained what happened but I am glad it is fixed.
Dolphin2 and MaldivesFreak like this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:42 am

Yay.

Sounds like a fraud detection algorithm that is running amok without human oversight.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Thanks for sharing, OP.

The skeptics might remain unconvinced by the lack of hard evidence, but this all sounds very plausible (and is there really a need for such evidence whenever someone makes a request for advice/help?).

On the upside, am more reassured to hear that they responded and resolved things rather quickly - so it sounds like it won't quite be the end of the world should I ever get on the wrong side of that algorithm cannon...
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bwiest
This is the response that I got. We sincerely apologize for having closed your account and canceled your reservations due to an error on our part. As compensation for our error and the inconvenience caused by it, we have good willed enough points to your account to cover both reservations. I think the system is still having problems with the pooling feature. My mother in law has tried to pool some points with my wife in the past and it never went through. Both accounts are still open. They never explained what happened but I am glad it is fixed.
Thanks for the update. Did they restore your reservations?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’ll add you as a pool partner, you transfer 250k to me, and we’ll test it out. M’kay?
Nah, I'm OK not ever testing it out if I don't need to
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Ok, so far so good today, sky has not fallen yet...

And I don't understand the comment about it not being "right" to book from the Diamond members account - if they are staying there, too, why not take advantage of possible upgrades and lounge access? If it was at, say, a Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites or similar then sure book from any account (but who would use their points for a Hampton Inn?).
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If it was at, say, a Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites or similar then sure book from any account (but who would use their points for a Hampton Inn?).
Limited service hotels near US major national park entrances often go for a huge premium during peak season. I just did a test search and got $381 a night for the Hampton Inn- Jackson Hole next July. (Nearby Motel 6 is $200+ a night during same dates) If you enjoy those kinds of vacation trips, award nights there can be a great value compared to cash prices.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Limited service hotels near US major national park entrances often go for a huge premium during peak season. I just did a test search and got $381 a night for the Hampton Inn- Jackson Hole next July. (Nearby Motel 6 is $200+ a night during same dates) If you enjoy those kinds of vacation trips, award nights there can be a great value compared to cash prices.
That's true, I was thinking in terms of run-of-the-mill HI's that go for $99/nt.

We've also looked at the Hampton Inn near Zion and it was quite pricey.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:38 pm

I'm concerned reading this!

I couldn't log in the other day and customer services told me my account has been closed and to contact the fraud department. I have done so but they haven't replied yet. (They say 24-48hrs waiting time and it's now been 48.)

I'm HH Diamond and I've point pooled in the past with my parents, though I've never booked a stay for someone else.

I'm hoping this is a mix up as I've got another 40 nights to do this year and I'm wanting to stay in Hiltons.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by gingeola
I'm concerned reading this!

I couldn't log in the other day and customer services told me my account has been closed and to contact the fraud department. I have done so but they haven't replied yet. (They say 24-48hrs waiting time and it's now been 48.)

I'm HH Diamond and I've point pooled in the past with my parents, though I've never booked a stay for someone else.

I'm hoping this is a mix up as I've got another 40 nights to do this year and I'm wanting to stay in Hiltons.
Hilton had some serious IT problems. Let us know what happens.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
And I don't understand the comment about it not being "right" to book from the Diamond members account - if they are staying there, too, why not take advantage of possible upgrades and lounge access? If it was at, say, a Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites or similar then sure book from any account (but who would use their points for a Hampton Inn?).
If you'll pardon the digression

The changes to Hilton Honors cash and points plus the 70-95k redemption levels mean that a lot of the outsize value has been squeezed out of the system (no more 16k points+$55 USD for $200 USD hotel rooms where you are effectively getting close to 1 cpp, it's hard to get amazing values on point redemptions when you're dropping 90-95k points a night, because you have to accrue so. MANY. points), but a lot of the terrible value redemptions (40k points for a $100 USD hotel room, so .25 cpp) have also been squeezed out because point pricing drops on those hotel rooms below their 40k redemption level if the rate goes low.

As such, it makes me a lot more indifferent as to when to use cash or points if I am getting .4-.5 cpp on the redemption. I value Hilton points at around. 4 cpp so I like a little premium, getting rid of taxes on the room by redeeming for a full award often does the trick. If there's a Hampton Inn available at a rate where I am comfortable burning points, that means I have that cash to use elsewhere (perhaps even on a more luxurious hotel room on another trip where I am NOT limited to Hilton for a stay). Also, if I burn points now I don't have to worry about Hilton's next round of devaluations or anyone stealing out of my account because of Hilton's crappy IT.

I also think that's Hilton's goal- make it fairly easy to get SOMETHING of value in the system without having to generate a ton of points, even if it's a $100 Hampton Inn. It generates loyalty to have some fairly easy ways to get value from stays without having to do FT-er style gaming and scheming.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If you'll pardon the digression

The changes to Hilton Honors cash and points plus the 70-95k redemption levels mean that a lot of the outsize value has been squeezed out of the system (no more 16k points+$55 USD for $200 USD hotel rooms where you are effectively getting close to 1 cpp, it's hard to get amazing values on point redemptions when you're dropping 90-95k points a night, because you have to accrue so. MANY. points), but a lot of the terrible value redemptions (40k points for a $100 USD hotel room, so .25 cpp) have also been squeezed out because point pricing drops on those hotel rooms below their 40k redemption level if the rate goes low.

As such, it makes me a lot more indifferent as to when to use cash or points if I am getting .4-.5 cpp on the redemption. I value Hilton points at around. 4 cpp so I like a little premium, getting rid of taxes on the room by redeeming for a full award often does the trick. If there's a Hampton Inn available at a rate where I am comfortable burning points, that means I have that cash to use elsewhere (perhaps even on a more luxurious hotel room on another trip where I am NOT limited to Hilton for a stay). Also, if I burn points now I don't have to worry about Hilton's next round of devaluations or anyone stealing out of my account because of Hilton's crappy IT.

I also think that's Hilton's goal- make it fairly easy to get SOMETHING of value in the system without having to generate a ton of points, even if it's a $100 Hampton Inn. It generates loyalty to have some fairly easy ways to get value from stays without having to do FT-er style gaming and scheming.
Well, yeah...what you said...

I'm not the savvy experts that some of you are, but between my credit cards, and Hilton's constant double points promotions, I find I have RELATIVELY more opportunities to redeem H points at good value...honestly, I've been sitting on Marriott and SPG points that I find not that useful...yet we go to Hawaii and New York every year, completely free (no taxes, no resort fees) on our Hilton points. So no, I don't parse how many pennies a point is...I don't care...I collect them on HI and HGI stays, and I redeem them for high value stays. I'm happy, even though you guys in the know would find flaws with my strategy. And yes, I agree that cash and points in the past was a great value, I just don't do them anymore (still those pesky taxes)...I love getting FREE stays.

But this thread is not about that. This thread is about getting your account closed for doing what you thought you should have been able to do! (pool your points, so that you get max value out of which account you redeem from). I'm still skittish, and I wish Lauren would come by and stroke our weary heads and tell us what's ok...
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sandyph
actually this is also what I wanted to know, was thinking of making my wife a new account (blue) and purchase points during sale and pool it to my account to redeem a 5 night stays.

If there's anything in this scenario that will cause both account to be closed then I don't think it's worth it.
My suggestion is DONT do it - because this seems to be a sure way to get account closed for those based in Greater China.
New account buy points, pooling to account with elite status. Boom the account involved got shut down, all points gone.

Why would you not buy points in your own account? Why create a new account to buy points? I think HHonors would greatly suspect something not kosher is involved, even though there is none.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by Happy
My suggestion is DONT do it - because this seems to be a sure way to get account closed for those based in Greater China.
New account buy points, pooling to account with elite status. Boom the account involved got shut down, all points gone.

Why would you not buy points in your own account? Why create a new account to buy points? I think HHonors would greatly suspect something not kosher is involved, even though there is none.
because I have reach my limit for this year and just needed another 40K to get 5 days redemption instead of 3 days, for a saving of about $500.

ps. SIN is not a part of Greater China

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.