Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Decoding a message in the reservation notes

Old Oct 20, 17, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I've booked a hotel for next week, and I just went to make a minor change on it (I changed the payment card). The confirmation email read as normal, but has the following comments written on it in the 'Requests and Comments' section:

GPM U: *** GST MUST PRESENT ID AT CHECK IN:SERVICE RECOVERY:,NON-REVENUE:CATEGORY: Service:REASON: Management:HHONORS UPGRADE,GPM ***
This will be a paid hotel stay so the message confused me as it mentions "NON-REVENUE". The only thing I can think of that might have led to this message is that I tried to use the 48 hour Diamond guarantee at a nearby hotel, but they were entirely sold out even though there were no major events in the area - their manager even called to apologise to me and offered a room albeit at a huge price premium which I declined given it was double the usual amount I've spent before that hotel - and we left it at that. As such, I chose another nearby(ish) and cheaper Hilton hotel which is where I'm seeing this message.

EDIT in italics: Any ideas why this mentions non-revenue on a revenue booking, and why they're asking for ID, etc? I've not seen this type of message before - usually, it is something along the lines of "Offer upgrade, if available" (which is increasingly not being included) or just the standard "GPM U ***" message. I used to see messages about the ID when I was staying on a Best Price Guarantee booking, but this isn't one of those - it is just a standard Honors rate flexible booking.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Oct 20, 17 at 12:22 pm
Old Oct 20, 17, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
ID's are often required because of local laws.

Bob H
Old Oct 20, 17, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH View Post
ID's are often required because of local laws.

Bob H
Thank you for your input! I perhaps misworded my question, which I've now edited above.

I was wondering why it mentioned non-revenue (on a revenue booking), and was requesting an ID - none of my other bookings in the same state (even the same county) have included any of this wording - so it just confused me.
Old Oct 20, 17, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Simon Schus View Post
Hi all,

I've booked a hotel for next week, and I just went to make a minor change on it (I changed the payment card). The confirmation email read as normal, but has the following comments written on it in the 'Requests and Comments' section:

This will be a paid hotel stay so the message confused me as it mentions "NON-REVENUE". The only thing I can think of that might have led to this message is that I tried to use the 48 hour Diamond guarantee at a nearby hotel, but they were entirely sold out even though there were no major events in the area - their manager even called to apologise to me and offered a room albeit at a huge price premium which I declined given it was double the usual amount I've spent before that hotel - and we left it at that. As such, I chose another nearby(ish) and cheaper Hilton hotel which is where I'm seeing this message.

EDIT in italics: Any ideas why this mentions non-revenue on a revenue booking, and why they're asking for ID, etc? I've not seen this type of message before - usually, it is something along the lines of "Offer upgrade, if available" (which is increasingly not being included) or just the standard "GPM U ***" message. I used to see messages about the ID when I was staying on a Best Price Guarantee booking, but this isn't one of those - it is just a standard Honors rate flexible booking.
My take on it would be the upgrade is a non-revenue event and maybe the other manager assisted in making sure it happened. But I am just guessing. Hotels have all sorts of abbreviations they use like a lot of other people. I presume you checked the room rate and all is as expected. I wouldn't get too worked up over this and see what happens when you arrive.
Old Oct 20, 17, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
My take on it would be the upgrade is a non-revenue event and maybe the other manager assisted in making sure it happened. But I am just guessing. Hotels have all sorts of abbreviations they use like a lot of other people. I presume you checked the room rate and all is as expected. I wouldn't get too worked up over this and see what happens when you arrive.
I think I agree on this one! I guess I'll see what happens. It seems odd wording for an upgrade. Then again, I'm noticing a fair few hotels are upgrading me a few days in advance - rather than early on the day of arrival (or at check-in).
Old Oct 20, 17, 2:36 pm

Programs: BD
A service recovery - non revenue is basically a flag on the reservation that shows up at both the hotel and corporate level. Initially designed to be used to let corporate know about problems the guest had at the hotel and what they did to compensate the guest, they're often used for other things now too.
Old Oct 20, 17, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by muzthe42nd View Post
A service recovery - non revenue is basically a flag on the reservation that shows up at both the hotel and corporate level. Initially designed to be used to let corporate know about problems the guest had at the hotel and what they did to compensate the guest, they're often used for other things now too.
Thanks! I’ve never stayed at this particular hotel before, or even been in contact with them. I guess perhaps the manager at the other hotel got in touch to put in a good word for me after the 48 hour guarantee problem. I’ll send a thank you on the day of departure to him just in case!
Old Oct 21, 17, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Simon Schus View Post
Thanks! Iíve never stayed at this particular hotel before, or even been in contact with them. I guess perhaps the manager at the other hotel got in touch to put in a good word for me after the 48 hour guarantee problem. Iíll send a thank you on the day of departure to him just in case!
There is a chance that the properties are related by ownership. It's not uncommon for REIT or operating company to carry more than one property and they play well together. Should one need to walk a guest, putting them in a sister property keeps the revenue in house. Just a guess.

Search this Thread