Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Room upgrade on a points stay?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Room upgrade on a points stay?

Staying 7 nights at Doubletree Jumeirah in Dubai over Christmas and paying with points. As a Diamond member can we expect a room upgrade or is this benefit only for cash paid stays.
As there is no executive lounge to access I'm wondering what benefits are available to a Diamond member?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by judyush
Staying 7 nights at Doubletree Jumeirah in Dubai over Christmas and paying with points. As a Diamond member can we expect a room upgrade or is this benefit only for cash paid stays.
As there is no executive lounge to access I'm wondering what benefits are available to a Diamond member?
We have often been upgraded on Points stays.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
The best upgrades I have had have been on points booking at the Hilton Mexico Reforma but it was always stays of 1 or 2 nights.
For a 7 nights stay and over Christmas very likely it will be more difficult to obtain a good upgrade.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I have always been upgraded on points stays, as have my (adult) children when they have stayed on points bookings I have made on their behalf.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Prem, UA Silver, Delta GM
I was upgraded on points stay in Turkey last week.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I've not noticed any discernible difference between upgrades on points versus cash, even as a Gold, right up to Waldorf-Astoria properties.

I would recommend using online check-in early to get a feeler. If it shows an upgrade then snag it, if it doesn't then hold off.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:53 am
cjd

As stated above, it doesn't make any difference whether reservation is paid or points. As a Diamond member, your entitlements are:
Complimentary Premium internet, late check out subject to availability, two complimentary bottles of water per stay, room upgrade subject to availability, 1000 bonus Honors points and complimentary continental breakfast for yourself and one other guest in your room.

Have not stayed at the Doubletree Jumeirah, but in other Hiltons and the Conrad in Dubai, we have always received a full buffet breakfast, so hopefully, they provide the same enhanced benefit.

Enjoy and hopefully you report back on your stay.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
7 days is a push, we have been ugraded to a "super" suite or whatever its called for stays of less then 3 days, most hotels may already have better rooms booked during your stay
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Some of my best upgrades in my 17 years as an HH member have been on award stays.

My best 2017 upgrade was at the Hilton Dubai Creek a few weeks ago (huge corner suite overlooking the whole city), but it was only a 1-nighter.

I've received nice upgrades on ALON/GLON (6-night) awards in the past, but I always assume longer stays reduce the odds a bit. Just takes one sold-out night in the middle of your stay to keep you out of a good suite.

No idea if Christmas is high season, low season, or just another random day in Dubai...
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
The only time I got meaningful upgrade with Hilton was on award stay.

Which makes perfect sense if the hotel is in high capacity as the hotel would probably not sell the suite, but can resell your room for $$, and will get a significant $$ back from Hilton when they are in high capacity situation for award reimbursement.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by more4less
The best upgrades I have had have been on points booking at the Hilton Mexico Reforma but it was always stays of 1 or 2 nights.
For a 7 nights stay and over Christmas very likely it will be more difficult to obtain a good upgrade.
more4less - This is refreshing to know about the Hilton Mexico City Reforma as I have a points stay coming up in January. Out of curiosity did they upgrade you to the Master Suite?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
more4less - This is refreshing to know about the Hilton Mexico City Reforma as I have a points stay coming up in January. Out of curiosity did they upgrade you to the Master Suite?
Hi Brandinho1,

out of my last 4 stays, in 3 occasions they upgraded me a Master Suite and one to a suite, but not so large.

I have 2 stays planned for February, letīs hope the upg policy does not change.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yes.

I've bid for a NOR1 upgrade on points stays and gotten them as well.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by more4less
Hi Brandinho1,

out of my last 4 stays, in 3 occasions they upgraded me a Master Suite and one to a suite, but not so large.

I have 2 stays planned for February, letīs hope the upg policy does not change.
Have my fingers crossed on that one then. I have had good luck overall on 2 night point stay upgrades my last was an upgrade to the Waldorf-Astoria Chicago for a staycation in August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.