Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:38 pm

I was given lounge access as a gold in May. The room was not upgraded.
I also got complimentary buffet breakfast.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC, HHH (Diamond), Le Club (Platinum), Hertz (Gold), Priority Club,
Not wanting to rely on my Diamond status, I booked, and paid for, a room on the Executive floor. However, when my wife and I went to the lounge in the evening we were told that it was full and were refused entry. We were given a drinks voucher that could only be used in a dimly lit bar in the basement.
Otherwise the hotel was superb. Lovely lounge (if you can get in) with a lovely breakfast.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:46 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold / Korean Air Morning Calm / Qatar Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Airclues
Not wanting to rely on my Diamond status, I booked, and paid for, a room on the Executive floor. However, when my wife and I went to the lounge in the evening we were told that it was full and were refused entry. We were given a drinks voucher that could only be used in a dimly lit bar in the basement.
Otherwise the hotel was superb. Lovely lounge (if you can get in) with a lovely breakfast.
Hmmm.. Hilton need to realise that they can't just "shoo" guests from the Executive Lounge, especially if you have specifically paid for that benefit. I think it's been happening to a few elites as well (from FT forums) and I personally don't think that's acceptable and it is happening way too many times from HH elite guests. I hope that doesn't happen to me during my stay
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold / Korean Air Morning Calm / Qatar Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by brianngan
I was given lounge access as a gold in May. The room was not upgraded.
I also got complimentary buffet breakfast.
Was the hotel fully booked and real busy? Or do you think they just didn't want to give you an upgrade?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by minjunkwak
Was the hotel fully booked and real busy? Or do you think they just didn't want to give you an upgrade?
I believe the hotel was real busy. The lounge was always full at night over the 2 weeks when I was there.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Avis First, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by minjunkwak
Hey everybody,

I have an upcoming stay at the Hilton Sydney and wanted to ask a few questions to fellow travellers that have stayed here before.

I'm a HH Gold member and I'm planning to stay on the weekend.. What are the chances of getting a room upgrade (as per Gold benefits)?

Also, if I choose to get the complimentary breakfast as per Gold benefits, would I be able to get full buffet breakfast in their main restaurant? What was your experience..? Please tell me

Also, I'm going to book via the PR13CB promotional corporate code as it offers quite a big discount for my weekend away. Has anyone booked through this rate at Hilton Sydney and gotten challenged for some "corporate ID"? I have read heaps of FT Hilton forums and people have said they've never been challenged using that rate.

Any experiences would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

MJ
Stayed for 13 nights as a gold in 09. Got upgrade and I was able to get breakfast in the restaurant. The lounge is great there.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Sydney Hilton, No Diamond Breakfast at Glass??

Spent one night at the Hilton Sydney 2 weeks ago before flying on to Perth (stayed at the Marriott Circular Quay on the way back because the Hilton rates were ungodly expensive for some reason). At check in, was told I was welcome to use the EL and enjoy breakfast there. I asked the clerk about having always gotten breakfast chits for Glass when staying there before and she said she was only authorized to offer me breakfast in the EL. When pushed, she agreed to double check with the front desk manager on duty and left a voice mail on my room phone later that afternoon apologizing and telling me that they couldn't authorize breakfast at Glass despite my diamond status.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Any ideas on what was going on with this?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by jsmith50
Spent one night at the Hilton Sydney 2 weeks ago before flying on to Perth (stayed at the Marriott Circular Quay on the way back because the Hilton rates were ungodly expensive for some reason). At check in, was told I was welcome to use the EL and enjoy breakfast there. I asked the clerk about having always gotten breakfast chits for Glass when staying there before and she said she was only authorized to offer me breakfast in the EL. When pushed, she agreed to double check with the front desk manager on duty and left a voice mail on my room phone later that afternoon apologizing and telling me that they couldn't authorize breakfast at Glass despite my diamond status.

Prices for full breakfast seem high: http://www.hiltonsydney.com.au/asset...0_July2013.pdf

Did they always allow Diamonds comp breakfast at Glass previously? Perhaps they revamped the menu (and prices); they could at least give you a credit amount towards a breakfast. I never seem to get more than $15USD towards full menu items wherever I go.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Prices for full breakfast seem high:
Wow, Sydney prices really are getting to be insane. It appears the Sheraton and the Westin are both $42 too...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Sydney breakfast

I stayed 6 nights on a reward stay August 6th until the 12th. I received breakfast every day at Glass. My room number was on a list that was checked each morning. At check in the diamond benefits were explained and I was told that I could have free breakfast at Glass. At checkout there was no charge for breakfast.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
I have stayed several times at this Hilton and each visit I have been encouraged by the attendant in the EL to have my free breakfast downstairs at Glass due to overcrowding in the lounge. They always made it sound like either location would be an option for Diamonds.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold HH Diamond
I too was encouraged by the EL staff to go downstairs for b'fast rather than suffer the crowded and rather skimpy EL b'fast. And downstairs was infinitely preferable.

My recent 3 night stay will be my last at this Hilton. The EL is a zoo at cocktail time, even with an enlarged EL. Its more like a public bar, loud groups, profane language and a trestle table with self service. The philosophy is very much how many people can we cram in here and not, this is an exclusive oasis. If I pay executive tariffs then I expect a premium. Hilton Sydney appears not to understand this. My Diamond status is recognized and well rewarded everywhere else I go in Asia. As it should be. The deal is my loyalty in exchange for a premium. Sydney pays lip service to this, I can speculate on the basis of there being an abundance of demand for its rooms. The Hilton's location is excellent, but then again so is the Marriott's closer to the Quay. My Diamond status for next year is secure, so time to look at other chain's products.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by JackieC2
I stayed 6 nights on a reward stay August 6th until the 12th. I received breakfast every day at Glass. My room number was on a list that was checked each morning. At check in the diamond benefits were explained and I was told that I could have free breakfast at Glass. At checkout there was no charge for breakfast.
This is precisely my complaint. I have literally gotten breakfast at Glass on each of my 1-3 visits per year for the last several years. No good explanation for why I couldn't on this visit other than "you just can't."
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Wow, Sydney prices really are getting to be insane. It appears the Sheraton and the Westin are both $42 too...
I no longer have any Marriott status but stayed there on my return to Sydney because it was $400/night cheaper than the Hilton. Their breakfast was likewise around $40/day.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50

Diamonds still get breakfast in Glass. The hostess has your name on a list! Given as you correctly state the ungodly prices at the Hilton you'd think the front desk would get it right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.