Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsmith50
I would agree with the previous post. The only way to guarantee a room is to prebook the night before, especially with a Saturday check in where it's not unusual for people to request late check outs.
(Replying to an old post, but hopefully it'll do someone good in the future)

When checking in here last week I noticed a piece of paper behind the counter that listed their early/late check-in charges. Early check-in cost was $85, but I don't recall if it listed a time that started at. Late check-out started at $20 and web up to (from memory) $50 for ~5pm.

No idea if the early check-in can be confirmed in advance, but the fact they actually have a rate for it makes me think it could be - and it's obviously cheaper than paying for an extra night.

As diamond I had no issues getting a 1pm late check-out (normal checkout is 11am). I was offered later but turned it down as I had a flight to catch.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by proteome
Does anybody ever actually have their suites upgraded here?

I book King Suite, Relaxation Suite, Master Suite but never get any room upgrades.

I get club access, but it's depressing. I find myself involuntarily having to spend time there as my rooms are never ready.

I do get *paid* upgrades each and every time I have selected 'estandby' upgrades.

Is there any trick to getting upgrades when you have already booked a suite? Check in at a certain time, straight out request it, beg, be difficult...anything? It's almost a given in Asia, even in Surfers...but maybe I'm doing it wrong in Sydney....
I don't know the answer to that one but I am usually upgraded from a Relaxation Room or Suite on a paid stay.
This weekend went one better and was upgraded from Relaxation room to Master King Suite. Great suite.
Stay was slightly let down by the fact that the queue for breakfast at Glass was all the way back to the lift lobby !
We went upstairs to the Exec lounge instead.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by docbert
When checking in here last week I noticed a piece of paper behind the counter that listed their early/late check-in charges. Early check-in cost was $85, but I don't recall if it listed a time that started at. Late check-out started at $20 and web up to (from memory) $50 for ~5pm.I was recently told by a front desk clerk that even as a Diamond, a 4:00 PM checkout would be charged at the half-day rate. However, when checking again on the day of departure I was offered it complimentary.
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
I am usually upgraded from a Relaxation Room or Suite on a paid stay.
This weekend went one better and was upgraded from Relaxation room to Master King Suite. Great suite.
I have stay a lot over the years but never was upgraded to anything other than a standard exec room. I always book the cheapest rate or an award.

Stay was slightly let down by the fact that the queue for breakfast at Glass was all the way back to the lift lobby !
What time was this? I've noticed that later tends to be busier.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I don't know the answer to that one but I am usually upgraded from a Relaxation Room or Suite on a paid stay.
We went upstairs to the Exec lounge instead.
Originally Posted by anabolism
I have stay a lot over the years but never was upgraded to anything other than a standard exec room. I always book the cheapest rate or an award.

Middle of a week-long stay, along with a shorty last week. Got not upgrade from Relaxation room last week, got upgrade to exec room on 36th floor (same as EL) from dirt bottom basic room reward booking, so no complaints there. Short-staffed right now, so little things falling through the cracks, like newspaper not showing p in the AM. Glass Breakfast has been issue-free, latest I've gone is 8am though. Disappointed they'll be closed Jan 1-8.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by anabolism

It was about 0945 on a Sunday morning. Never seen it that busy before on any of my stays. The Lounge was busy but didn't need to wait for a table.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
duplicate
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:41 am

It was about 0945 on a Sunday morning. Never seen it that busy before on any of my stays. The Lounge was busy but didn't need to wait for a table.
We had a queue at Glass for the first time in the days before Christmas at about 9.00am. I also thought that there was a decline in food standards. We switched back to the Lounge for the last few couple of days and the breakfast, for our purposes, was fine. And there is no extra charge for the Nespresso coffee or a pot of tea rather than the stewed tea in Glass.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Is it just me that find it hard to believe that Hilton Sydney has not one standard room available throughout the whole of May? Based on the total lack of Standard Room Rewards that seems to be the case.

Was HHonorsRepresentative not going to look at this, I'm sure I saw it mentioned a few months back?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
Is it just me that find it hard to believe that Hilton Sydney has not one standard room available throughout the whole of May? Based on the total lack of Standard Room Rewards that seems to be the case.

Was HHonorsRepresentative not going to look at this, I'm sure I saw it mentioned a few months back?
The differences between room classes at Hilton Sydney are minute and barely measurable however the differences between rates for those rooms are often substantial. I am quite convinced that the hotel withdraws the lower room classes as a way of managing inventory and rates. In particular they do not release king guestrooms on many occasions so as to raise the entry rate. That has the consequence of removing standard Reward rooms. If the HH program does not force them to have standard reward rooms available, why should they?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:00 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors

Hi there,

You're correct! My team did investigate Hilton Sydney last year.

We found that the property isn’t acting against the terms of the HHonors program, it simply has higher demand than most. Therefore the Standard Room inventory sells very quickly, and Premium Room Rewards are the most common offers available.

Thanks,
Erin
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
The differences between room classes at Hilton Sydney are minute and barely measurable however the differences between rates for those rooms are often substantial. I am quite convinced that the hotel withdraws the lower room classes as a way of managing inventory and rates. In particular they do not release king guestrooms on many occasions so as to raise the entry rate. That has the consequence of removing standard Reward rooms. If the HH program does not force them to have standard reward rooms available, why should they?
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi there,

We found that the property isn’t acting against the terms of the HHonors program, it simply has higher demand than most. Therefore the Standard Room inventory sells very quickly, and Premium Room Rewards are the most common offers available.

Thanks,
Erin
I have only gotten standard award rates when booking a year out...so it is there, but as above, gone quickly.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi there,

Thanks,
Erin
Thanks Erin

Just checked the whole of 2015 and into 2016... not one single night has a standard room reward available. I find it hard to believe inventory isn't being manipulated there?

Maybe they have exactly 1 standard room in the whole of the hotel, with the rest being deluxe/exec/suites? If that's allowed per Hilton's T&C's, then good on them! ^

Just a shame we won't be able to use our cert here.

EDIT: just found the first standard room reward I think I have seen on the website... in December 2016!

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Jan 13, 2015 at 10:30 am
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I have only gotten standard award rates when booking a year out...so it is there, but as above, gone quickly.
Ah, so it's you that books out their one and only standard room
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:53 pm

Perhaps the HH Rep can tell us how many rooms fall into each category at Sydney Hilton - guestroom, guestroom plus, deluxe etc. Surely this can't be confidential information?

My suspicion is that, because the rooms are almost identical, the number in each category will vary according to demand. Not saying that is wrong - just that it means there will rarely be reward rooms, apart from premium rooms, and that is apparently OK by the HH program.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
Perhaps the HH Rep can tell us how many rooms fall into each category at Sydney Hilton - guestroom, guestroom plus, deluxe etc. Surely this can't be confidential information?
http://www.hiltonsydney.com.au/asset...ltonSydney.pdf ...although the numbers don't add up.

I wonder how many base level rooms at this hotel are block booked for overnighting airline staff? I always see the SQ staff there...4 flights a day into SYD...any other airlines staying here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.