Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tru by Hilton

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I think this brand is appropriately priced in the range of a Comfort Inn or La Quinta type property.
It's hard to compare in this case because there is no Comfort Inn near LAS airport. The closest one is 6 miles away in Henderson, and on the night pictured int he post above (where the Tru is $113 with an Honors discount), the Comfort is $90 a night without any discounts (and those who frequent the Choice Hotels forum know how to get about a 15% discount at most Choice properties, though of course those who frequent the Hilton forum might know how to get better rates than Honors discount too).

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 16, 2017 at 10:07 am
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:11 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
For instance...

That Homewood Suites is literally next door to the Tru.

(There is a restaurant down on Warm Springs, on the other side of the rental car center, but it's a bit of a haul.)
I was just in Las Vegas last month; and that hotel property did not even show up in my search.

Apparently, it opens on February 15, 2018 — and if you stay at least three consecutive nights through August 16, 2018, you will earn 5,000 Hilton Honors points as a grand opening special offer.

When I stayed at the original location in Oklahoma City, it was more expensive than some other hotels within the Hilton brand portfolio.

As is often said, your mileage may vary...
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Why

Originally Posted by jacobguo
So Trus are even below Hamptons. Why would Hilton want that segment of the market though?

I know the answer but still, why?
There is money to be made in this sector of accommodation
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
The Tru LAS opens February 15th? That's unfortunate as I'm staying there January 12th...
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Cymro
The Tru LAS opens February 15th? That's unfortunate as I'm staying there January 12th...
TRU Las Vegas has been open this entire month... well, certain floors of it have been open...
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: -UA 1K-Hilton Diamond-
First stay at the TRU in SLC. Will be my last. Agree with all complaints above.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond + Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Decor: Spartan and institutional. Room size: Too small.
I've stayed at Tru several times, and each time it makes me think of my college dorm room. The hard floors, the lack of storage. In some ways it gives me a nostalgic feeling, but I don't think I would feel as nostalgic if I stayed there more than a couple times a year.
SouthernBanker likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I don't get it.

Theres a Tru opening this next weekend near Boise, ID. I looked at an Honors rate of
$106. There's a HGI for the same price (HGI has good breakfasts, too!) A Hampton for $104, and another Hampton at $92!

If staying at an IKEA-dorm is less expensive than a Hampton, I'm down to try it. But if I can get an HGI within $5 bucks... pancakes, bacon, and fresh made omelettes going to make that coin toss an easy one for me. Not to mention full points earnings at any other property other than the Tru.
Oddly, it's grand opening offer is 1,000 points per night, as opposed to the 5k for 3+ nights Vegas offered.

Hmm. I want to try one this year, if for no other reason than if they run one of those "surprise for guests that have stayed in all of our brands" promos.

TDM
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm booked in the SLC Tru at the end of May. I'm okay with the Ibis/Ibis Styles realm of budget hotels and it sounded fairly close to that. The Spousal Unit can use some Hilton stays so he can get status this year, it's significantly cheaper than the other reasonably close Hilton or IHG (my primary program) options, and we're talking a 9:00pm arrival into SLC and then driving on to Moab the next morning, so clean, decent soundproofing, and reasonably comfy mattress matter more than lots of space, so I'm figuring might as well give it a try.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
I have came to the conclusion that Tru isn't designed with frequent travelers in mind.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
I have came to the conclusion that Tru isn't designed with frequent travelers in mind.
I think it depends on the traveler. When I was contemplating it in Cheyenne last September (ultimately went with Hampton Inn after their rate dropped), it would have been fine. I was in the room for maybe 9 hours, awake for one. In those situations for me personally, who cares. It's a quiet place to sleep. Would have been the same for Douglas, WY if there was one there. I don't think it appeals when not a road trip stop though
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travellingcari
I think it depends on the traveler. When I was contemplating it in Cheyenne last September (ultimately went with Hampton Inn after their rate dropped), it would have been fine. I was in the room for maybe 9 hours, awake for one. In those situations for me personally, who cares. It's a quiet place to sleep. Would have been the same for Douglas, WY if there was one there. I don't think it appeals when not a road trip stop though
I agree that if all you need from a room is a place to sleep and maybe take a shower, then almost any chain will do. When you are asleep, you perceive Four Seasons to be no better than Motel 6. So as long as the bed is comfortable enough, and the room quiet enough, for you to be able to get to sleep, why overspend?

But for business travel, I will usually be in the same place for several days. So I want a real desk with an ergonomic chair. And lots of easily accessible electrical outlets. And fast Internet. And a hot breakfast buffet that is not exactly the same day after day in a room with adequate seating. And an exercise facility.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I looked at the one in Las Vegas by the airport. It looked nice and new, but I simply couldn't justify paying the same price as the Hampton Inn (just as close to the airport), with no breakfast and, worst of all, 50% points earnings (5 points/dollar). Perhaps Tru isn't really designed with Hilton Honors members in mind either.

Am I missing something? The 50% point earnings is a deal breaker for me, but do Honors members get any benefits? Breakfast? Yogurt? Anything?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by amanuensis
I agree that if all you need from a room is a place to sleep and maybe take a shower, then almost any chain will do. When you are asleep, you perceive Four Seasons to be no better than Motel 6. So as long as the bed is comfortable enough, and the room quiet enough, for you to be able to get to sleep, why overspend?
My philosophy as well. I'm going to be in the SLC Tru for less than 12 hours, most of that asleep, so I'll save money on that $100 all-in night, and then move on to a longer stay at a Homewood Suites that's going to run close to 3x that price, but is going to be a long enough stay that the in-room kitchen and other amenities of the property really matter to us.

And Hilton gets a night from us that would have probably gone to my IHG account instead if the Hampton/HGI had been pricing out about the same as the airport Holiday Inn Express if the cheap Tru hadn't been there.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Now that I did the math, the 5 points on the dollar might not be so bad.....

$100 stay at Hampton: 100x10 - 1000 points.

$100 stay at Tru: 100 x 5= 500 points.

500 points x .005 (generous) - $2.50

While it irks me to get half point credit for a stay, if Tru was $10-15 cheaper (points differential + breakfast) I could see staying there overnight vs Hampton. Maybe $20 cheaper to justify vs the HGI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.