Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tru by Hilton

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
There is definitely a market for minimalistic properties like this. Definitely, not my thing, but if I have a choice of LaQuinta, Ramada, Quality, or Tru, I may bite.

I have stayed at much worse, and it is nice to have a Hilton product in a lower tier. It is that inner FT'er in me that seeks point value
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer
look at airbnb (how many listings are for single rooms? - Lots)
This is a pretty spot-on part of the analysis... if a single-room on AirBNB is going for $50/night and a room at Tru is $75/night, your 22-yr old taking their first real vacation on their own out of college would likely be doing the math on having basic breakfast included and not sharing a space with a stranger, and at an extra $25/night they'd be more likely to swing towards Tru than they would at $100-$125/night at Hampton. That same $75/night at an EconoLodge, Microtel, Red Roof, Motel 6, etc might skew the match more in the direction of AirBNB.

At the other end of the spectrum, I'd likely be most interested in these properties for points redemption IF they sit at Cat 1 when a nearby Hampton might sit at Cat 2. For half the points on leisure trips without the kids, and at less than $0.01/point I can see the value for sure.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Born in 1980 I'm at the old end of the millennial demographic; this concept really intrigues me.

Lonely Planet has always seemed lonely. I bring the wife along for leisure travel, but would love to meet other folks when working. Youth Hostels are too down market and, honestly, traditional Hiltons seem bland.

If Tru can bring more community and fun, it might convince me to switch my brand preference from Aloft, W and the other star whatever brands.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
They should just build more HGI's and knock-down/sell-off super old Hamptons and be done with it. HGI's work well, have a (usually) reasonable price point, have a good breakfast, and are consistent.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
As a millennial I think the community aspect is what is most appealing. Generally I am an IHG guy and primarily stay at Holiday Inn Expresses, Candlewoods, and Staybridges, but with the Diamond status match approved I am trying to get into Hiltons this year and found them to be too upscale, compared to HIX (especially since my business travel has to fit with the state government reimbursement rate - which only HIX and Hampton do). Putting in a few pool tables or some racing game downstairs could improve community.

On the other hand, in my 20's, I happily stayed at Motel 6's, Econolodges, and Comfort Inns all the time and I would not want to pay the extra $30-$50 a night for a Best Western or a HIX. As for HGI, I've often found them more expensive than old line Hiltons for some strange reason.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:57 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
This brand's name will be a good laugh in France.

Other than that, was it possible to copy Aloft any more than they did here ?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
HGI's work well, have a (usually) reasonable price point, have a good breakfast, and are consistent.
HGI has breakfast? I was under the impression it didn't, unless one bought a package or had status.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by serpens
HGI has breakfast? I was under the impression it didn't, unless one bought a package or had status.
This being FT, it is presumed that one has status. And, if one plans to stay more than a couple nights a year in hilton properties and is US based, getting gold through the reserve card is a no brainer.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by GVA
This brand's name will be a good laugh in France.

Other than that, was it possible to copy Aloft any more than they did here ?
They only missed the bar
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by arlflyer
This being FT, it is presumed that one has status.
Yes, there does seem to be that attitude. What's a poor schmuck traveling on his own dime supposed to do?

And, if one plans to stay more than a couple nights a year in hilton properties and is US based, getting gold through the reserve card is a no brainer.
Ah, that's what a poor schmuck is supposed to do. But why the Reserve card? The Surpass card seems like a (slightly) better deal, since it has extra points for groceries and gas. I suppose it's a balance between gas and groceries or a free weekend night each year. Am I missing anything else?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by serpens
But why the Reserve card? The Surpass card seems like a (slightly) better deal, since it has extra points for groceries and gas. I suppose it's a balance between gas and groceries or a free weekend night each year. Am I missing anything else?
Nope. I just like the free night every year because I can usually use it at a place where the rack rate will be $500+, and I have other gas/grocery cards in my wallet. So I often forget about the Surpass. Plus I just generally don't like AMEX these days.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
They should just build more HGI's and knock-down/sell-off super old Hamptons and be done with it. HGI's work well, have a (usually) reasonable price point, have a good breakfast, and are consistent.
Based on the description of room size and amenities they're going to need prices well below HGI.

I've never seen a Hampton nor HIX breakfast rise to the level of good. 'Not awful' is about the highest remark I'll give them.

Decent noise control is a sacrifice made at aloft, and, IMHO by Marriott at some of the Fairfield Inns of the 90s. Construction budgets get squeezed too tight. Nasty cheap = bad night's sleep.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm a millennial born in '93. I for one will never go out of my way to stay in one of these. The design and overall portrayal of the brand is borderline insulting. We may be more technology and social based compared to other generations but we don't sit around watching the Disney Channel at age 22. Seriously, "wow. ohh. bam. win." What?!

Don't get me wrong, if I see one of these for $90/night in Lower Manhattan in the summer or in central London during the summer I'd be all over it. Otherwise, I'll stick to my trusty Doubletree/Hilton.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Based on the description of room size and amenities they're going to need prices well below HGI.

I've never seen a Hampton nor HIX breakfast rise to the level of good. 'Not awful' is about the highest remark I'll give them.

Decent noise control is a sacrifice made at aloft, and, IMHO by Marriott at some of the Fairfield Inns of the 90s. Construction budgets get squeezed too tight. Nasty cheap = bad night's sleep.
I've had one HIX where breakfast is what I'd deem as "good". They had bacon, waffles, three differently cooked eggs (including poached with Hollandaise on the side), the largest rack of bread/muffins I've ever seen in a hotel and countless other breakfast foods. But of course, this was in Singapore. Compare that to the HIX I just checked out of in Barcelona... oh my, as much as I like tomatoes and corn flakes...
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Looking at the renders, the room is indeed cramped: doesn't look like there's so much as a decent chair, and the king room is much smaller than the two queen. Something I expect in NYC, but not in the suburban settings they seem to be imagining for the new builds. I am at the upper end of the demographic for this, and I think they are missing the mark here. Hilton would do better to aim for the (most recent, new build) Hyatt Place design, or Hotel Indigo; they're current, but not quite so likely to be outdated in five minutes.

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
As for the comparison to Aloft, I don't think it's quite that high-end though I can understand the sentiment... if nothing else, the (assumed) lack of a lobby bar is a notable distinction. While riding the same modern design aesthetic, I wouldn't expect the same fit/finish/quality in both fixtures, architecture, and amenities.
Maybe they've improved, but I've found the fit/finish at Aloft to be pretty terrible in execution (though it looks good in photos). I'd hate to imagine what worse would look like.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dtremit

Maybe they've improved, but I've found the fit/finish at Aloft to be pretty terrible in execution (though it looks good in photos). I'd hate to imagine what worse would look like.
That mirrors my sentiment - and I was at two alofts last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.