Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tru by Hilton

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
It's basically Home2Suites without the ensuite kitchen. No desk wouldn't bother me as far as sitting at one, but I like them to spread my stuff out. It'd have to be cheap(er) for me to try one; I'm assuming they'll earn fewer points like H2S.
I would prefer to have a desk as I'm usually on my computer or even put my luggage up there.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There was another reference I saw and now can't remember - the build guidelines, maybe? - that spoke to 55" TVs, not 65". Yes, 65" in a 250 sq ft room could be excessive. (But I have found some 42" TVs in alofts recently, and wow, do they look tiny.)
Even 55" would be a nice step up from the 32-40" in most hotels... only time I can remember having anything 50"+ was at a handful of converted Hyatt Place properties, which was great in the bedroom but pushing it a bit when turned to face the sitting area. Strangely enough, I've stayed in huge 2000+ Sq Ft President's Suites with dining table seating for 12, chandeliers, and heated bathroom floors have only had your standard 40" TVs. At least actual HD programming is starting to catch up at most properties...
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
The name I really like. Sounds much better in my ears than Canopy or Curio. Well but I´m no native American or English speaker.

The concept is kind of similar to Ibis or so, but better quality, more innovative, and also more expensive. Hampton light.

I like the CEO´s idea of organic growth of a new brand, which IMHO will work well and quickly in the midscale range, on base of newly constructed properties. The shareholders will give thanks to him.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:23 pm

I have mixed views and will make my final opinion after I have stayed in one. On one hand, I do not want my hotel to look like an Ikea. But, I've seen this type of design pulled off well in Europe. I think for me, it will hinge on if it can be bright, pretty, and not feel cheap.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec
It's admittedly a very catchy song that makes me want to stab someone in the chest.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
My biggest concern about these and also Home2 properties is how they hold-up over time. Given the low build-out cost, the quality of materials are likely not that great. Much like the "Phoenix" renovated Motel 6 properties... they look modern and great when new and are a huge step up from what they replaced, but now 5-6 years later they look like your kids' Ikea furniture when you donate it to Goodwill. My concern is much less about the aesthetic being dated than the actual furniture, fixtures, carpets, etc not holding up to wear-and-tear and owners then having no motivation to renovate given how down-market they are to begin with, and then churning through lower and lower tier chain affiliations as they are able to meet fewer and fewer brand standards until they're eventually the "ARMADA INN" because the last national brand that would have them was RAMADA and they could switch the first two letters on the outdoor signage.
Hah, yes, this is also my main worry. I used to actually really like Microtels when the chain was first introduced. Since they were exclusively new-build properties, they were nice for the price and very consistent. For leisure travel and when I just needed a place to sleep, it was a good price for all the hotel I needed. But the build quality on many of those Microtels had a pretty short "best by" shelf life. Hopefully Tru is aiming for at least a slightly more durable construction/finishes, but remains to be seen.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:07 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jefftiger
I'm a boomer, so I'm way outside of the target demographic. That said, the rendering of the room looks pretty appealing to me. Last year, I stayed at a number of Ibis hotels in France and Switzerland. The Tru room reminds me of a larger version of the more modern Ibis rooms (like at the Ibis Centre Nations in Geneva). If the price is reasonable, I'd consider staying at a Tru.

I guess the question is: does Hilton want me to think (big) Ibis or Ibis Styles when I see a Tru. Is this the sort of brand that they're trying to compete with?
In comparison with Ibis Tru is a clear winner. I sometimes have to stay in Ibis hotels and I find them really depressing. Same is true for Ibis styles and certainly Ibis budget. Yes they're cheap but they're very basic. Tru seems to have some more cheerful touches.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
I would be willing to try it once. However, I don't think it would become a regular place for me, especially with the no desk part. I would stay in it, if it brings Hilton options to markets that currently don't have anything. However, if it is like Home2Suites, where you don't get as many points for a stay then I'm out. Also, if staying on rewards, and it is close to another property in the amount of points required to stay, I won't stay.

I will be very curious to see it.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OMG another brand?! Are they nuts?

Free for all breakfast urgh.

And I'm the target market for this stupid concept? Looks like some VP had a bring your kid to work day and mashed around on his iPad in the mood-collective-thinking-zone pod (no desk of course!) and the concept was born.

Anyone who watches W1A would think one of those creative directors to the creative consults would come up with it...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
OMG another brand?! Are they nuts?
They've got a long way to go before they'll have as many brands as Marriott has, with its acquisitions of AC Hotels, Delta Hotels, Protea (and keeping each of those brands) and now the upcoming Starwood merger (and no plans to drop all of those brands).

By comparison to other hotel programs, I'd say Hilton is just average in terms of numbers of brands, not on the high side nor on the low side.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by sdsearch
They've got a long way to go before they'll have as many brands as Marriott has, with its acquisitions of AC Hotels, Delta Hotels, Protea (and keeping each of those brands) and now the upcoming Starwood merger (and no plans to drop all of those brands).

By comparison to other hotel programs, I'd say Hilton is just average in terms of numbers of brands, not on the high side nor on the low side.
Hilton midscale segment is growing and attractive, but - at least in the part of the world where I live (Europe) - the full service and especially the luxury segment needs to be strengthened with new Hiltons plus adding existing luxury properties to Curio or W-A collection (if Hilton wants organic growth only). Some even loyal Hilton customers, always with one eye on the Marriott/Starwood 4* and 5* portfolio, otherwise might finally not resist.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors DIA
It looks like some of the modern European hostels but with all private rooms. No thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Expect these to be low quality build-outs using cheap materials.

And I mean cheap, not IKEA cheap or Target cheap, but like dollar store cheap.

$85k per key is very low for any new-build property, let alone a flag.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Maybe the idea with this is to build up a brand then sell it or dissolve it.

I think they would have been better off bringing La Quinta into the fold which would have been easy given the Blackstone connection (maybe would have needed to debrand some of the lousy La Quintas but I think most could have stayed; La Quinta on a whole isn't really a bad brand) as a midscale brand verses doing this.

This is just a classless format, this Tru. This is not Hilton and does not fit in with Hilton. Hilton typically adds class to what it has. They are out of their element with this brand and this is the wrong direction to try to go. This is not Hilton's core competency, running a downscale brand and trying to be "hip." Or doing cheap build outs... leave that to the Wyndhams.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Much smaller rooms

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Expect these to be low quality build-outs using cheap materials.

And I mean cheap, not IKEA cheap or Target cheap, but like dollar store cheap.

$85k per key is very low for any new-build property, let alone a flag.
Hampton Inn rooms are about 350 square feet. Tru rooms are only supposed to be about 250 sq ft. The lower cost of development may be due to savings in construction costs, not due to cheap furnishings.

Here is what appears to be an official website for tru, by the way:

http://trubyhilton.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.