Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This thread is for archived general discussion of Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom through 2012. For information and discussion on individual hotels, please refer to LINKS for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom

To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:
1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Notenut
Part #1
Not at all, they should be able to reserve a suitable room for you, especially if they know you will be arriving late.

Part #2:
Either one would be great location-wise. The Trafalgar is not run-down, although the decor is rather 'stark'. The 3 times I 've been there I have had a room overlooking the Square itself with buses passing under my window and noise was not a problem.
Completely agree on both parts.

Personally I'd go for the Trafalgar of the two, but that's just a personal opinion. I found the service at the Waldorf rather slapdash and unwelcoming on my last visit. (Grumpy check-in and concierge staff, backed up by a miserable team at breakfast who seemed put out at a request for coffee that took 15 minutes to come). I do know that others like The Waldorf a lot, so experiences do seem to vary.

At the Trafalgar the standard upgrade for Golds and Diamonds is usually pretty similar. If you explain it is your honeymoon, you may well have a chance at one of the very nice suites here. If the OP wants a contact for the hotel, then drop me a PM and I will pass it on.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by yetter
As of right now I've narrowed it down to either the Waldorf Hilton or Trafalgar London. Based on my research the Waldorf appears to be a nicer hotel, but has a slightly less appealing location. The Trafalgar appears to have the perfect location but there might be problems with noise from outside and some reviews mention the hotel is run down.
I liked the Waldorf for the lounge. The Trafalgar rooftop bar was not that exciting, in my opinion, and overpriced, as well. You can use the Trafalgar rooftop bar without a entry fee if you show your HH Gold or Diamond card, but drinks are extremely pricey.
Also, if you ask the Waldorf lounge attendant nicely you will get access to the restaurant for breakfast, which is very nice.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: Cathay Marco Polo, AF/KLM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, others
Waldorf or Bentley

Flying to London in May for business.
I have to choose between Waldorf Hilton or the Bentley. I have read the Bentley lacks an executive lounge (I am HHDiamond).
So, the Waldorf seems to be the better choice.
Any comments?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
For the avoidance of confusion for people viewing this thread alone, the Hilton London Metropole is near Edgware Road station, not Edgware, several miles away
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Rockhopper24
Flying to London in May for business.
I have to choose between Waldorf Hilton or the Bentley. I have read the Bentley lacks an executive lounge (I am HHDiamond).
So, the Waldorf seems to be the better choice.
Any comments?
Would really depend on where you're doing business. The Bentley is near Gloucester Rd and Earl's Court Tube stations, so easily accessible to Circle, District, Picadilly Lines. The Waldorf is near Temple, Embankment, and Charring Cross, so easily accessible to Circle, District, Bakerloo, and Northern lines.

I haven't stayed at the Bentley myself so can't help in that regard. When I work in London, the Waldorf tends to be better suited for where I'm working (which is typically splitting time between City and Oxford St), which is why I've stayed at both Trafalgar and Waldorf a number of times but never the Bentley.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: United million mile 1k, honors gold
London Heathrow Hiltons

Which hotel is easy to connect with Terminal 1 for arrival and departures? Is the LHR Terminal Four Hotel better than Terminal Five Hotel? Do both have free transport to Terminal 1?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See the following threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...hilton-t5.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...minal-5-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...irport-t4.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...nal-4-lhr.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...nal-hotel.html
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The "Terminal 5" - which is not really near, and much less at, Terminal 5, is in my experience this year cheaper and much nicer than the T-4, with the same Heathrow Hoppa bus service to T-1 <link> at £4.50 one way and £8 return if purchased on the bus and a pound less if online in advance.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Neither is close to Terminal 1.
The Hoppa bus is the best option door to door if you are wiling to pay.

For a free option, I think Hilton Terminal 4 is best for Terminal 1. You can walk to Terminal 4 and take a train to to Terminal 123
At Hilton Terminal 5, you will be offered a free Hilton shuttle to Terminal 5 only I think. You then have to take to train from Terminal 5 to Terminal 123
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That is incorrect; the London Heathrow "Terminal 5" in Colnbrook offers no free shuttle service at all.

The Hilton Terminal 4, accessible via a long (10' walk) enclosed walk from T-4, offers a free shuttle service to Terminal 5, as T-4 used to be the primary BA terminal.

The train used from T-4 to Central (serving Central / Terminals 1 and 3) is the Heathrow Express rail shuttle. Between walking from the Hilton to T-4, waiting for the right train and walking to T-1, the Hoppa has got you there.

Do not try to take a taxi from the terminal to either; the minimum ride charge form a terminal is a breath-taking £35.00.

I've stayed at both hotels within the last couple of months, using train and the Hoppa. The Hilton T-5 is likely to save much more money than walking / using the train shuttle from T-4 because it is considerably newer and it is significantly underutilised at the moment, barring an event. Much better restaurants, as well, and the lounge is a bit larger (a bit strange and Spartan in some ways, but still nicer and less crowded).

Example. randomly chosen date, May 8:

London Heathrow Terminal 4: £164.00 for a smaller room

London Heathrow Terminal 5: £97.00 for a nicer room, better restaurants, etc.

Yep, I will use the Hoppa for sure... It's a PITA< but reliable with plenty of luggage space, and the T-5 Hoppa is almost empty much of the time.

And if in The City, the Hilton London Paddington is connected to Central (T1 and 3) by the Heathrow Express (15 minutes duration, every twenty minutes, expensive,) or the Heathrow Connect (nearly 25 minutes iirc, every thirty minutes, cheaper).

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Neither is close to Terminal 1.
The Hoppa bus is the best option door to door if you are wiling to pay.

For a free option, I think Hilton Terminal 4 is best for Terminal 1. You can walk to Terminal 4 and take a train to to Terminal 123
At Hilton Terminal 5, you will be offered a free Hilton shuttle to Terminal 5 only I think. You then have to take to train from Terminal 5 to Terminal 123
Old Apr 15, 2012, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by JDiver
Do not try to take a taxi from the terminal to either; the minimum ride charge form a terminal is a breath-taking £35.00.
That's not correct. Some disreputable taxis may attempt to charge that, but the suggestion that it is mandatory is a misinterpretation (and yes I've seen the other thread). Taxis to the T4 Hilton must charge based on the meter; to the T5 Hilton is just outside Greater London and fares are based on negotiation with the driver. You may find difficulties getting an agreement for a reasonable fare to the T5 Hilton because the drivers have queued for a long time and won't want to do a short trip.

Originally Posted by JDiver
And if in The City, the Hilton London Paddington is connected to Central (T1 and 3) by the Heathrow Express (15 minutes duration, every twenty minutes, expensive,) or the Heathrow Connect (nearly 25 minutes iirc, every thirty minutes, cheaper).
The Hilton London Paddington is not in, or near, the City of London.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:17 pm

looking for recommendation on where to stay in London

My husband and I will be staying for 5 nights in London in May nd wondering which Hilton is recommended to stay in. We are staying the first 2 nights at the Marriot County Hall and then will stay 3 more nights and wanted to stay at a Hilton property. We love to sightsee, walk and shop......looking for good quality but doesn't have to be the best. Love to be near good restaurants, sightseeing and shopping.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

There are several other threads about London properties. I think the search feature is misbehaving at present though so you couldn't have found them.

Not sure if you've visited London before, but there is a wonderful public transport system so you don't really need to be "near" anything. It's more a question of what kind of property you have in mind (traditional or modern) and whether you want an Executive Lounge and so on. The top recommendations here tend to be the Waldorf Hilton, the Trafalgar, and the Hilton London Tower Bridge.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
After a recent stay at the Park Lane Hilton, I have to put it on top. On a cash and points stay I was upgraded to a newly renovated Park Lane Suite on the 16th floor. The Exec Lounge is very nice and the staff are excellent. That plus it's my favorite neighborhood for hotels. I also stay nearby at the Four Seasons, Intercontinental and Sheraton quite often. But the Hilton really impressed me. ^
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:01 am
Suspended

That's good, Stimpy! May I ask what room were you booked into? Park Lane Suite is huge and I heard that HH members may get upgraded to Mayfair Suite instead. Maybe traveling with family will give you an upgrade to Park Lane?

Happy travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.