Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Hilton rolled out the complimentary Wi-Fi earlier than originally planned!

* Beginning in June 2015, premium Internet access, where available, will be rolled out globally and will be free of charge for Diamond members when they book directly through a proprietary Hilton channel or via one of our corporate travel partners.
* Starting in August, we will extend complimentary standard Wi-Fi access to Blue and Silver members when they book their stays directly through a proprietary Hilton channel or one of our corporate travel partners.
* Complimentary standard Wi-Fi will continue to be a benefit for HHonors Gold members who also book directly through our proprietary Hilton channels or one of our corporate travel partners:
  • The Hilton HHonors mobile app
  • Online from hilton.com, HHonors.com, or any of our brand/hotel websites
  • Calling Hilton Reservations Customer Care: 1-800-HHonors or your local Hilton reservations office
  • Calling an individual hotel (plus walk-ins and physical on-property too)
  • Via corporate travel agencies and travel professionals that book via a Hilton proprietary channel
* This update doesn’t apply to hotels where there is a resort charge (except for Diamond members complimentary premium access - Post #6).
* This offering will not be available until August through September in EMEA and APAC.
* Free standard Wi-Fi will continue to be a benefit for Hilton HHonors Gold members who also book directly through our proprietary Hilton channels one of our approved travel agent partners.
* Free standard Wi-Fi will be available on June 4, 2015 for all HHonors members who book directly at all StayConnected properties globally.
* The HHonors Terms and Conditions will be updated on June 4, 2015 to reflect these changes.
Print Wikipost

Hilton Wi-Fi Update

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:03 am

Location: CGN (Cologne, Germany), travel agent, hardcore Sabre user
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, LH, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, AX Centurion
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi jreichel,

Our corporate travel partners are connected via a global distribution system that our business and professional travel agent partners use to book directly with Hilton.

Cheers,
Erin
We do use a GDS (Sabre) with a direct link to Hilton. Does that mean our bookings are eligible? Or is there anything else required to be labeled a "corporate travel partner"?

Sorry to anyone who thinks this is nitpicky and not interesting for anyone on this board. I think it is, because many business trips are booked through corporate travel agencies who use their GDS. Would be disappointing for both sides to learn that there's another requirement apart from using Amadeus, Sabre etc.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Finally a real enhancement for Diamond. Now just please add 4pm check out.
Perhaps you missed the other announcement?

Our most loyal guests, Diamond members, will receive complimentary and guaranteed late checkout until 4pm, when they book directly through a proprietary Hilton channel at any property at least five time zones west of the basis for their desired checkout.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Thanks for this update Erin, ^ great to hear that Hilton is listening and changing to reflect comments/feedback.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by jreichel
We do use a GDS (Sabre) with a direct link to Hilton. Does that mean our bookings are eligible? Or is there anything else required to be labeled a "corporate travel partner"?

Sorry to anyone who thinks this is nitpicky and not interesting for anyone on this board. I think it is, because many business trips are booked through corporate travel agencies who use their GDS. Would be disappointing for both sides to learn that there's another requirement apart from using Amadeus, Sabre etc.
I can't see why it shouldn't be as that is how many agents work.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL- DM/3MM, HH- Lifetime Diamond
Hilton Wifi modifications

Article by Tim Winship in Frequentflyer mag.http://www.frequentflier.com/blog/hi...-with-strings/
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hilton honors Diamond
Finally glad to see a perk for diamond only. At the hotels that have changed over to the two tiers of late the premium is definitely an improvement over what use to be free.

More diamond only perks, I am tired of lounges being over run by gold members in addition to them receiving upgrades over diamonds.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Guess I can put my cellular hotspot back in my bag again come Q2.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Recently, I spoke with a Hampton manager who confirmed that diamonds get free premium wifi effective April 1st. However ... he also was rather emphatic that so do "some" golds (with a high enough point balance?)."
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Recently, I spoke with a Hampton manager who confirmed that diamonds get free premium wifi effective April 1st. However ... he also was rather emphatic that so do "some" golds (with a high enough point balance?)."
Interesting. Sounds like their trying to separate the credit card golds who might stay once or twice versus the earned golds who spend a lot of nights
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Anyone know how many HH properties even have prem wifi? For me recent experience seems to be only around 40%.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Interesting. Sounds like their trying to separate the credit card golds who might stay once or twice versus the earned golds who spend a lot of nights
I think he was getting at something like that.

I've found that most properties have had a premium option, with few standard-service only.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jreichel

Yes it is nit picking.

Basically any OTA including yourself who by virtue of booking so as to earn commission on a booking is depriving Hilton of income and to discourage frequent stayers from doing so Hilton States no points/bennies accrue on OTA nights

Now if you are referring to booking purely company rooms as a company agent you don't earn commission as company rates are NON-Commissionable. As such if company rate is not negotiated to earn zero points for a lower rate (some companies do that !) the night earns points which ever channel or tool is used to make the reservation

Instead companies like eg IBM pay their agent eg Carlson Wagonlit, Amex etc a money fee yearly for performing the booking function, the fee due being a percentage of spend that year

The agencies are also earning the yearly fee by setting employees to the cheapest suitable hotel and not simply allowing one to book any local hotel within company price scope .

As you can imagine employees would often otherwise unnecessarily book a more expensive room rate as get more points for nights etc, and even if agency only saves $10-20 night per person for a company the size of eg IBM that is millions saved over a whole year and is why companies use and pay agencies and agencies are able to earn zero commission on the bookings
(Same agency will usually manage flights also on same basis to steer employees to cheapest suitable flights not a more expensive flight below the company price cap)
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Erin. Thanks for sharing this. I am a hilton diamond and actually started staying at other hotel chains because of this change. I am one of those business travelers who used a lot of bandwidth for my work. My company will not reimburse me if there is free internet at the hotel. Even if it is slow and unreliable. So, instead of paying out of pocket 15.00 per night, and I travel over 150 nights a year, I chose to go with SPG. I have a couple of reservations with them, but I will go back to hilton if they continue this policy and don't have 50% of properties that opt out do this. Can the properties opt out of the promotion?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Esltroy
Can the properties opt out of the promotion?
I didn't think it was a promotion but rather a benefit which suggests that opt-out may not be an option.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by taylormuk
I didn't think it was a promotion but rather a benefit which suggests that opt-out may not be an option.
Yeah they can't opt out on a general benefit, but they could just start charging a resort fee. Many hotels that have both premium and standard internet packages are already charging resort fee anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.