Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Hilton rolled out the complimentary Wi-Fi earlier than originally planned!

* Beginning in June 2015, premium Internet access, where available, will be rolled out globally and will be free of charge for Diamond members when they book directly through a proprietary Hilton channel or via one of our corporate travel partners.
* Starting in August, we will extend complimentary standard Wi-Fi access to Blue and Silver members when they book their stays directly through a proprietary Hilton channel or one of our corporate travel partners.
* Complimentary standard Wi-Fi will continue to be a benefit for HHonors Gold members who also book directly through our proprietary Hilton channels or one of our corporate travel partners:
  • The Hilton HHonors mobile app
  • Online from hilton.com, HHonors.com, or any of our brand/hotel websites
  • Calling Hilton Reservations Customer Care: 1-800-HHonors or your local Hilton reservations office
  • Calling an individual hotel (plus walk-ins and physical on-property too)
  • Via corporate travel agencies and travel professionals that book via a Hilton proprietary channel
* This update doesn’t apply to hotels where there is a resort charge (except for Diamond members complimentary premium access - Post #6).
* This offering will not be available until August through September in EMEA and APAC.
* Free standard Wi-Fi will continue to be a benefit for Hilton HHonors Gold members who also book directly through our proprietary Hilton channels one of our approved travel agent partners.
* Free standard Wi-Fi will be available on June 4, 2015 for all HHonors members who book directly at all StayConnected properties globally.
* The HHonors Terms and Conditions will be updated on June 4, 2015 to reflect these changes.
Print Wikipost

Hilton Wi-Fi Update

Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Excellent news! Thank you Erin for effectively relaying our vociferous comments about this topic.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
I assume this will also be a new product.

Can't say I have seen any Hilton with premium wifi in the UK recently - or indeed in many parts of the USA.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Thank you Erin and company. Good to know our pleas and rantings did not go unnoticed!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
Can I please have clarification of a possible diamond downside?

If I book through a channel such as Expedia now, I still get free wi-fi at a property. It seems that when this new rule comes into effect, I will no longer get any free wi-fi, despite being diamond. I have to book direct or via a corporate TA. Is this correct?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Definitely great news. Nice to see a positive change which makes my status more valuable ^
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:24 pm

Thanks Erin ^^
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:46 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Truffles
Can I please have clarification of a possible diamond downside?

If I book through a channel such as Expedia now, I still get free wi-fi at a property. It seems that when this new rule comes into effect, I will no longer get any free wi-fi, despite being diamond. I have to book direct or via a corporate TA. Is this correct?
Hi Truffles,

Correct. Diamond members who book through one of our direct channels or a one of our corporate travel partners via corporate travel agencies and travel professionals will receive complimentary premium Wi-Fi.

Thanks!
Erin
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond BA Blue
Great news Thanks Erin ^^
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi Truffles,

Correct. Diamond members who book through one of our direct channels or a one of our corporate travel partners via corporate travel agencies and travel professionals will receive complimentary premium Wi-Fi.

Thanks!
Erin
So this is a downgrade if I am correct. At present via Expedia, say, I still get free wi-fi. Now this benefit is withdrawn?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: HHonors-Diamond, IHG-Gold, AA Platinum, National-Exec Elite, Avis-First
Thank you Erin for relaying our concerns and comments to HHonors management (and them for acting on it).
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
So this is a downgrade if I am correct. At present via Expedia, say, I still get free wi-fi. Now this benefit is withdrawn?
No it is not an HH t&c change

If you book on the websites eg Hilton.com for quite sometime it has stated at top of first screens that free wifi is only given for booking directly with Hilton

Of course if you bok with an ota you don't ever see that flagged

Like everything else one tends to get more than hotel needs give on an ota booking as is not qual night, earns no points & I believe hotel does not have to give gold/diamond bennies (eg upgrades) if you book via ota, though many/most still do
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Any limits on the number of devices under this new program?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:43 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Good news.

This appears to bring Hilton in line with Marriott and others.
Not really, as pointed out by dw up thread the top two tiers at Starwood, Hyatt and Marriott get hi speed wifi. As a gold I have lost my free useable wifi that I had last September.

Furthermore, it is you that has been asking repeatedly what the brand standard is for internet. Anecdotally this appears to be between 0.5 and 1 Mbps, presumably blues and silvers are now going to be enticed to stay at Hilton properties with the offer of free internet, only to be disappointed to find that it cannot actually be used for anything. I see no claims by guests at Marriott, Hyatt or Starwood that the basic free internet is useless. This is at best deceptive.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Book through Hilton.com and problem solved?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
I'm very glad to see HH responding to this debacle they created. And thank you, Erin, for helping voice our collective feedback on this issue over the past few months.

Selfishly, I'm really glad to see Diamonds being comped the premium speed. I've been a fan of how Marriott does this for Gold and higher, and am really happy to see Hilton adopting a similar model, albeit just for Diamond.

But I'll reserve my full enthusiasm until I see how much better the "premium" speeds actually are in practice. I suspect it'll be a slight improvement over the free tier, but still worse than 3G in a 3rd world country. Unless HH addresses the minimum requirements for ul/dl speeds at the free and premium tiers, this announcement is just smoke and mirrors. They'll succeed in stroking the egos of Diamonds, but they'll still fail in delivering acceptable internet speeds for the year 199... er 2015.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.