FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1637820-consolidated-lifetime-diamond-experiences-questions-worth-thread.html)

Tomphot Feb 11, 2015 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 24335172)
Negative.

Think about how many pair of shorts that would buy:p

GT_Rd_Warrior Feb 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Got mine

Email came in this morning congratulating me on selection for Lifetime Diamond hHonors.

I've heard mixed info on the "award". Any confirmation on hHonors presenting the noise canceling headphones?

Cynicor Feb 11, 2015 8:18 pm

Glad we now know, thanks for keeping us up to date and informed, Erin.

I hope to see a base points tier soon/eventually. I stay with Hilton because it is the only chain I can get top tier status in, as I only stay for leisure and accumulate base points. Would like to see something around the 2.5-3mil mark, I guess, which would account for inflation for a period of time.

mnredfox Feb 11, 2015 8:21 pm

Anyone know how to find out how many years you've been diamond and how many LT nights at HH you have?

mnredfox Feb 11, 2015 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque (Post 24329423)
While the 10 years Diamond seems fair, a thousand points is a bit steeper than I was thinking.

My thoughts too. I've been Diamond for probably 9 years now, but probably only around 400 nights or so. If anything, HH Lifetime Diamond is so far out of reach I have NO incentive to continue to try. I've continued to put more and more to Hyatt and this continues to reaffirm that decision.

Originally Posted by MrHilton (Post 24329569)
Not what I expected ...

Since I mostly qualify on base points (200K base points at least/year) a 1000 nights is a lot.

Had only 455 nights sinds 2006.

Thank god I am only 26, so I still have some time to maybe once get the diamond for life status .. :o

Wow, you started traveling young.

GJS - yow Feb 11, 2015 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative (Post 24329901)
Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

To echo the sentiments of other FTers, thanks to Erin and Hilton for the transparency on the requirements to achieve lifetime Diamond status.

Further, as one who has a ways to go for both criteria, despite many years of Hilton loyalty, I appreciate the suggestion that these are the criteria for the initial Lifetime Diamond members. The suggestion of other Lifetime plans is welcome.

HawkeyeFlyer Feb 11, 2015 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by RAPC (Post 24328738)
I'm nowhere near lifetime Diamond on that criteria, but based upon a number of FTers who are real HH road warriors, with 100+ nights a year and a long history of loyalty, it will reward at this time, exactly the sort of people that Hilton want to reward. This is about rewarding those who have been loyal for years on this criteria.

It probably won't make those of us qualifying via stays or spend push on for lifetime status as it may be far out of reach to be motivating, but it may well be that HH are aiming to reward the real frequent stayers.

For those FTers who have qualified over the years and spent almost 3 years in a HH family hotel, I salute you and your lifetime status when you get it. You have earned it.

I got it and it does not mean much to be honest. I qualify in every category and will continue to do so....IF I STAY WITH HILTON. All this does is give me the freedom to go with another program. Not to mention I am sure a category above it will be created at some point

HawkeyeFlyer Feb 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Notenut (Post 24333537)
I made a few calculations after a call to the Diamond Desk, he confirmed that I have been Diamond continuously since 2001. In order to qualify for Lifetime Diamond I would have had to have about 72 paid nights- award nights don't qualify- each year, every year. That translates to having a little more than twice the minimum nights required to qualify for Diamond. I dare say that many people who hit the minimum (used to be 28,now 30 nights) start considering how they might qualify for the highest elite level at other chains. So unless the formula changes I've given up on that idea.

To add a little salt to the wound I didn't get the 100K offer either.

If I were not at LTD, I would still look at how easy it is to qualify year over year, not to mention they extend Diamond benefits all of the time for people. This LTD, even though I got it, does not matter much to me. I think it only matters to those close to retiring from business travel jobs who were hoping to keep benefits for personal travel after retiring

HawkeyeFlyer Feb 11, 2015 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Deepd1ver7 (Post 24330809)
I'd love to hear from Erin, if possible, why base points ($s spent) wasn't a consideration? 100 nights a year at $200 a night ( avg?) is $20k. There are people out there (guess what, like me ) who spend $15k at the Conrad Maldives every year for the last 6 years. If I add to that my 20 nights a year at European destinations (far more expensive than the US average , let's assume $350 a night) , puts me at about $22k per year. I get that nights in a bed is a real descriptor of loyalty, but surely spend is interesting too? There are plenty of other hotels in the Maldives I could spend my money with.

It is a factor, they just aren't telling you. I am only around 900 nights and I got it but I had 20 stays last year over $7,000 each. Do not let them tell you spend is not a factor

HawkeyeFlyer Feb 11, 2015 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by ExecPlatWife (Post 24331066)
Just received DH's lifetime diamond notification. The E-mail content:

He's got ~15 years at 150-200 nights per, so he's somewhere between double and triple the 1,000-night requirement.

First of all a lie on the levels...but what really cracks me up is the timing this took them. Did it really take months for Hilton to come up with 10 years and 1000 night....good lord...what a crock....and they are not following it

HawkeyeFlyer Feb 11, 2015 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by prushing (Post 24335051)
I think it stops people from only doing it for a few years and then switching hotel brands. It forces people to invest a lot of time and if they are half way in or so, they most likely will at least stay diamond to make it.

Who cares? If you are willing to spend the next three years of your life living in a hampton inn, Hilton should value you that enough for LTD

Same token there should be a dollar figure on spend. Meaning if you drop $250k in spend that should qualify

Does hilton want a guy that spends three years at the hampton inn over a guy that spends 625 nights at a $400 night per clip Conrad or waldorf stay

paul4040 Feb 11, 2015 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by pr0digy25 (Post 24328667)

The most laughable part is the 1000 nights... given if you requalify with the minimum of 60 nights per year, that'll take about 16 years to reach if my math is correct.

The minimum is 30 nights for Diamond.

30 stays, which may all consist of one night only.

aBroadAbroad Feb 12, 2015 2:16 am

It looks like the criteria are going to need a bit of tweaking if the company wants to appropriately recognize all of its most valuable and loyal customers. Right now it seems pretty arbitrary. If you can reach diamond via nights OR stays OR base points, why do only nights count for lifetime status? And why 10 years? That's practically an eternity in the loyalty program universe.

Originally Posted by vatali (Post 24332511)
I have more than 1k nights, but only 5 years diamond.

That sounds like established brand loyalty to me. Nevertheless, someone with 100 paid nights per year is apparently more valuable than you simply because he's been doing it longer.

And somebody who's been diamond for 20 years won't make lifetime if he "only" has 30 paid one-night stays per year at WAs and Conrads, while another guy's 100 HI/HGI nights per year got him lifetime status at 10 years.

:confused:

SADDE6 Feb 12, 2015 2:57 am

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative (Post 24329901)
Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights

I would agree it's good to recognize first and foremost those who have spent 1,000 nights, however, if the requirement remains at 1,000 nights I suspect it will drive away more people than it attracts. Why would anyone devote 1,000 nights to Hilton when you can get top-tier status in Marriott for 750 nights or Starwood for 500?

Even the most loyal of Hilton members have nights in other hotel programs as it's not always possible to stay in your preferred hotel chain. So if you have 500 or less nights in Hilton but also have a number of nights in Starwood, Hyatt, or Marriott you might well be able to attain Lifetime status sooner or in fewer nights by moving your business away from Hilton.

I imagine this is why Marriott has lowered their lifetime status requirements not once but twice in recent years. If the requirements for status aren't attainable and competitive you risk driving away the very same loyal customers you're trying to attract.

nicksaab Feb 12, 2015 5:29 am

So how many diamonds out there got absolutely nothing then?

No 100k, no 2x3x rewards and no lifetime?

I have 7 years Diamond, 500+ nights - nothing at all.