FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1637820-consolidated-lifetime-diamond-experiences-questions-worth-thread.html)

pinniped Jul 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by jefftiger (Post 28561161)
That never happened. Instead, we got offers to book at hotels in random cities like Indianapolis.

But they spent so much time hand-picking your personalized offers. (20% in Detroit! Yay!)

isle-hawg Jul 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Congrats OP for the gift! I am still awaiting mine that according to the letter I received last December that like others received read I would have it April/May of this year.

I already have a real nice set of Bose headphones that I used HH points for years ago, and prefer the 75K HH points to a gift card for $100 at stores I don't shop. Not surprised that they changed the gift this year from the previous years since they changed the criteria this year also.

Tomphot Jul 14, 2017 7:34 pm

There have been a number of comments on here easing the requirements. Seriously, when you've already spent 950+ nights, does it really matter that you've used some award nights to get over 1,000? It's still about 3 Years at a Hilton property! I also spread my stays out to other brands as Hilton was so late to the lifetime game.
In my case, a member since 1987 how has spent over $250,000 at their properties over the past 30 years. Being cut out of the 100,000 point offer a few years ago and now getting the downgraded Lifetime Diamond deal is a Huge slap in the face.

luke5111 Jul 14, 2017 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 28560968)
Can you explain more about the not really earning lifetime diamond and lowering of the bar? Are you referring to the fact they allowed award nights to count? Lets see, Marriott is 750 nights, Hilton is 1000 nights including award nights. how many do you think have 250 award nights added into the mix? It's still 10 years as Diamond and you can also get it with 1 million base points. Still pretty tough to do.

What another program has is irrelevant. The program is what it is. Award nights are no reflection of loyalty, you're just using nights that have been given to you, who's going to turn those down? Hilton had a lifetime diamond program that was somewhat exclusive but truly reflected loyalty and the gifts recognized that but of course a whole bunch of people cried "it's too hard". They watered down the requirements and now people are complaining they've watered down the gifts and "this is typical of Hilton". Come on, people crying "it's too hard" is what's typical. The only ones that really have a right to complain are the ones who did it the hard way, everybody else got the watered down program they petitioned for.

buddahas Jul 15, 2017 4:15 am

I am sorry, but who is more "deserving" in your view?

The guy who spends thousands on his corporate account and will likely to continue to do so, or a new customer who pays likely higher rates out of their own pocket?

Of course Hilton will try to win new customers every single time.

I hear the same whining from Canadians when major bank offers promos to new customers (usually a $300 cash back) while customers who spent decades with the bank get nothing.

ECR Jul 15, 2017 7:16 am

Originally Posted by luke5111 (Post 28562348)
Award nights are no reflection of loyalty, you're just using nights that have been given to you, who's going to turn those down?

I have purchased points in the past a few times, so it is not just a case of the points being given to you.

Michael19887 Jul 15, 2017 8:56 am

:rolleyes: at this thread. Enjoy your gift; enjoy the very hard earned status that is more exclusive than with any competitor because of the requirements. If it pisses you off that much that you get 75,000 points instead of headphones, take your business elsewhere. It's that simple.

Chang11 Jul 15, 2017 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Tomphot (Post 28562037)
Being cut out of the 100,000 point offer a few years ago and now getting the downgraded Lifetime Diamond deal is a Huge slap in the face.

Ditto!!!!!!

Nick Haan Jul 15, 2017 10:39 am

Is there any way to see how many nights/points/properties you have done over the years?

aww3583 Jul 15, 2017 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Nick Haan (Post 28563853)
Is there any way to see how many nights/points/properties you have done over the years?

You have to email the Diamond Desk.

When I checked earlier this year, they said they would print out my entire stay history and mail it to me. They asked me to wait 6-8 weeks for the request to process.

I replied, pressing them, asking if they could just give me a number of total stays/nights.

A few days later, they replied with my total nights, stays, and base points. They included an attachment of my entire stay history.

375+ nights in 5 years turned out to be about 35 printed pages.

hfly Jul 15, 2017 3:44 pm

What is the big deal. When I got it at the beginning it was a $100 Bloomingdales GC, the headphones and......That was it. So you got a small Tumi bag and 75k points. Seems like you are getting a better deal.

Tomphot Jul 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by hfly (Post 28564647)
What is the big deal. When I got it at the beginning it was a $100 Bloomingdales GC, the headphones and......That was it. So you got a small Tumi bag and 75k points. Seems like you are getting a better deal.

It's a choice of 1 of those gifts.

hfly Jul 16, 2017 12:47 pm

ok, got it, misread obviously.

worldtraveller76 Jul 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Got mine in the mail this week, and only 4 months after they said it would arrive. While the packaging is very nice and I like the card, I am underwhelmed with their offerings. But then again Hilton hasn't exactly been hitting it out of the park lately when it comes to rewarding loyalty. BTW in my opinion the points are a no brainer between a $100 gift card and a $120 bag I can buy on Amazon. I'm sure I can get $400-500 worth out of those points without trying too hard.

Tomphot Jul 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller76 (Post 28593810)
Got mine in the mail this week, and only 4 months after they said it would arrive. While the packaging is very nice and I like the card, I am underwhelmed with their offerings. But then again Hilton hasn't exactly been hitting it out of the park lately when it comes to rewarding loyalty. BTW in my opinion the points are a no brainer between a $100 gift card and a $120 bag I can buy on Amazon. I'm sure I can get $400-500 worth out of those points without trying too hard.

This is very strange, are there that many Lifetime Diamonds every year that Hilton can't get these out at the same time? I've been a member since '87, with a number beginning with a Zero - last name in the first 5 of the alphabet and I still don't have mine. Here we are in July not that it really matters.
The check in screens at the hotels still just notes status as "Diamond". Not " Liferime Diamond". I would hope they would at least make that change to make a difference in upgrades.