Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
HHonors Sign In (if the link has disappeared)

https://secure3.hilton.com/en/hh/customer/login/index.htm
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I got "I am not a robot" today. It worked fine on my laptop, but what should I answer when I'm on my Android phone?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Interestingly, I did a lookup of a hotel (using Chrome) and made the reservation and got to the page when it asked me to fill out the name, address, etc. I then clicked sign-in at the top of the page and there was no captcha at all.
The same thing happened to me using IE. I tried to duplicate it but the next time the captcha came up.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by txflyer77
I was a little surprised at the reaction here since this is a pretty common tool.
It's a common enough tool for initial registration on a site, or in case of a failed login attempt or something similar. I have never used a site that required one for every single login like the HHonors one.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: United 1K; HHonors Diamond; IHG Spire
I've long struggled with their website. Their app is good though!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Yep, they need that Captcha there because some netbot is just dying to login to my HH account... #SMH
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NickW
It's a common enough tool for initial registration on a site, or in case of a failed login attempt or something similar. I have never used a site that required one for every single login like the HHonors one.
Emphasis added

Never is a strong word. Apparently you've never purchased tickets through Ticketmaster.

With that said, Hilton's site is the only lodging company where I have encountered this.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:36 pm

Location: Rarely in one place long. Vancouver, WA when that happens.
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, AA LifePlat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Dmd, gave up on Hilton
I could not agree more. I have often loathed the Hilton site, but this is the kind of approach that makes booking elsewhere so very much more appealing. What a pain. The numbers were almost livable. The words are inane.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Congratulations Hilton!

My AAA # saved in my profile lasted 3 whole days . Today I went in to make 3 night reservation and no longer there.

This time I could have dug it out but instead I gave the business to Marriott in about 45 seconds .

They have a real Big Boy website that is never down and does what it is supposed to do.

Grow Up Hilton
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
Never is a strong word. Apparently you've never purchased tickets through Ticketmaster.
I used it advisedly; no, I have never bought tickets through Ticketmaster.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: Lufthansa, United, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
BOND's the Name, Robot BOND

The robot question on Hilton's website might not be too farfetched as evidenced by this start-up which has invented a robot that can perfectly replicate a person's handwriting.

See more here: https://hellobond.com

Suffice to say, I'm not going to be putting my checkbook in front of that robot.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by NickW
Originally Posted by controller1

With that said, Hilton's site is the only lodging company where I have encountered this.
New York's E-ZPass site also requires a captcha for every login, although (unlike the Hilton captchas) it is so comically easy to read that I'm not sure what possible security benefit flows from it. (Any self-respecting character-recognition program would defeat it.)
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I feel you, man. A few years ago, I was locked out my Yahoo account for failing the squiggly lines test. I am, officially, a robot it seems.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
What possible security value is provided by having to click the "I am not a robot" button???

I thought that trying to decipher and reproduce the squiggly text was the barrier against robots.

...the squiggly text that I often have to refresh 3 or 4 times to get something that is actually decipherable.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:53 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:49 pm
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Can't sign into my account or search hotels, site seems paralyzed below the home page. How does the company stay in business?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.