Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Palm Jumeirah {ARE}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:22 am

The Palm is really not the place to go if you're trying to eat on a budget, as you are more or less restricted to hotel restaurants (and top-end 5 star ones at that) unless you start going towards the mainland.

Depending on the length of stay and how many of you there will be, it might be worthwhile to get The Entertainer Dubai Fine Dining app, which will give you 2 main courses for the price of 1 at a number of restaurants on the Palm, and a single-use voucher for a free bottle of wine which can be used in some of these participating restaurants. People living in Dubai would typically use it throughout the year, but if you want to stay on the island, you will probably get more than the purchase value within 3-4 nights.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Arrived here 2 hours ago and still waiting for the room.

They seem all over the place re our reservations. I had confirmation via concierge they were linked and that it wouldn't affect upgrade chances.

Well it has. Reservations weren't linked, then they were. Then the room was ready, then it wasn't.

The check in agent was vague about Diamomd upgrade, so asked in lounge and been given the "we are full no upgrades" routine even though they are selling the next category up from ours on the website.

Had a moan and there was a heated and confused discussion between two staff who have now disappeared and we are sat like a couple of idiots in the lounge feeling very tired after a night flight.

I hope this holiday gets better.

Last edited by Geoggy; Mar 21, 2016 at 1:42 am
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Geoggy
Arrived here 2 hours ago and still waiting for the room.

They seem all over the place re our reservations. I had confirmation via concierge they were linked and that it wouldn't affect upgrade chances.

Well it has. Reservations weren't linked, then they were. Then the room was ready, then it wasn't.

The check in agent was vague about Diamomd upgrade, so asked in lounge and been given the "we are full no upgrades" routine even though they are selling the next category up from ours on the website.

Had a moan and there was a heated and confused discussion between two staff who have now disappeared and we are sat like a couple of idiots in the lounge feeling very tired after a night flight.

I hope this holiday gets better.
Well they do seem to be sold out for a part of your stay...
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond

Yeah I get there Wednesday and according to the website they're sold out Fri/Sat/Sun night at this stage
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by jozdemir
Yeah I get there Wednesday and according to the website they're sold out Fri/Sat/Sun night at this stage
Yes hotel is full at the weekend, so can't complain about that.

There's a long back story I won't go into , but the short version is that they had next category room for our paid stay and during an email conversation with the Personal Concierge they had guaranteed me that by linking the reservations it would not affect a part stay upgrade. In other words I was happy to have the upgrade and then move - but alas after 3 hours of showing them emails etc etc I was too tired to carry on and just took the room we booked - which is lovely.

However - I am really surprised that there is major construction going on right next door to the hotel - on both sides - and I didn't see this anywhere when booking on the website.

Getting obtrusive noise all day by the pool and on the beach and a large percentage of the view from our room is of a building site.

I will have to have a word with someone about it.

On a positive note, the lounge is excellent. Good food and 3 hours of cocktails between 5-8 which are excellent.

Staff all very friendly - the room is lovely and as Diamonds we also get free breakfast either in lounge or main breakfast room. Breakfast selection much better downstairs but quieter in lounge - which has hardly felt busy at all.

The price of food and drink here is obscene. Don't come without a full wallet. Bottle of water 6 GBP, a beer 10 GBP - the cheapest bottle of red in Lao was 60 GBP.

I'm impressed with the property so far - it has some major flaws - mostly given the construction work which may not bother you if you aren't here to chill out for a week - which we are.

The piped music by the pools is also irritating, ranging from drum and bass to jazz - I could live without that and now use my Bose noise cancellers.

I would stay again - but not until the building work is done - getting off the palm is taking forever due to road and sea wall works by Atlantis as well.

Any questions whilst I am here just ask.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:47 am

Thanks for the update. Weird check-in issues aside (as a note, it's interesting that you mention that because I too had reservation issues at this property), sounds like things are going pretty well.

The construction thing I am guessing they just figure people will think "That's Dubai" - i mean where isn't there construction? Not saying it's not obtrusive, of course, but it's out of their control. I guess they could post a warning, scare off all of their guests, and then try to sue the neighbors for losses, but I'm not sure how well that would go...

Good to hear that they're offering lounge access and restaurant breakfast for Diamonds. While the food prices are otherwise insane as you mention, after that restaurant breakfast I really didn't need too much for the rest of the day.

I actually kinda liked the pool music because it drowned out other peoples' discussions, which really annoy me - I can't help hearing them...but I realize this is a personal preference...
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:44 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Yes hotel is full at the weekend, so can't complain about that.

There's a long back story I won't go into , but the short version is that they had next category room for our paid stay and during an email conversation with the Personal Concierge they had guaranteed me that by linking the reservations it would not affect a part stay upgrade. In other words I was happy to have the upgrade and then move - but alas after 3 hours of showing them emails etc etc I was too tired to carry on and just took the room we booked - which is lovely.

However - I am really surprised that there is major construction going on right next door to the hotel - on both sides - and I didn't see this anywhere when booking on the website.

Getting obtrusive noise all day by the pool and on the beach and a large percentage of the view from our room is of a building site.

I will have to have a word with someone about it.

On a positive note, the lounge is excellent. Good food and 3 hours of cocktails between 5-8 which are excellent.

Staff all very friendly - the room is lovely and as Diamonds we also get free breakfast either in lounge or main breakfast room. Breakfast selection much better downstairs but quieter in lounge - which has hardly felt busy at all.

The price of food and drink here is obscene. Don't come without a full wallet. Bottle of water 6 GBP, a beer 10 GBP - the cheapest bottle of red in Lao was 60 GBP.

I'm impressed with the property so far - it has some major flaws - mostly given the construction work which may not bother you if you aren't here to chill out for a week - which we are.

The piped music by the pools is also irritating, ranging from drum and bass to jazz - I could live without that and now use my Bose noise cancellers.

I would stay again - but not until the building work is done - getting off the palm is taking forever due to road and sea wall works by Atlantis as well.

Any questions whilst I am here just ask.
When I was there at the weekend (for Friday Brunch) it was a relief to know that they run a boat service from their pier to Dubai Marina. Takes about 10/15 minutes. Much much quicker than the truly hideous traffic to get off the Palm due to the road works. Easy to get a taxi from Dubai Marina to anywhere in Dubai.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Thanks for the update. Weird check-in issues aside (as a note, it's interesting that you mention that because I too had reservation issues at this property), sounds like things are going pretty well.

The construction thing I am guessing they just figure people will think "That's Dubai" - i mean where isn't there construction? Not saying it's not obtrusive, of course, but it's out of their control. I guess they could post a warning, scare off all of their guests, and then try to sue the neighbors for losses, but I'm not sure how well that would go...

Good to hear that they're offering lounge access and restaurant breakfast for Diamonds. While the food prices are otherwise insane as you mention, after that restaurant breakfast I really didn't need too much for the rest of the day.

I actually kinda liked the pool music because it drowned out other peoples' discussions, which really annoy me - I can't help hearing them...but I realize this is a personal preference...
Hi - just to be clear I don't think they are doing lounge access for diamonds.

We booked a suite with lounge access for 4 nights and tagged 2 free night certs on the end.

We were able to keep the suite and lounge access for last 2 nights by paying 500AED a night.

So whilst I get that there is construction everywhere in Dubai I am not really sure I would have booked if I'd known it was literally next door - the view from our suite is of the site.

Secondly between here and the SOFITEL they are pile driving all day on and off and into the evening.

It's very obtrusive - I've asked to have a word about it - id rather give honest face to face feedback whilst I am here as opposed to the post passive aggressive tripadvisor thing.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:21 am

Hi - just to be clear I don't think they are doing lounge access for diamonds.
Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying. At one point they were, then they switched. What you wrote above made it sound like the lounge access was by virtue of being Diamond. And I'd forgotten about our earlier discussion - now on the previous page - where you explained that you'd booked a suite with lounge access.

as Diamonds we also get free breakfast either in lounge or main breakfast room.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying. At one point they were, then they switched. What you wrote above made it sound like the lounge access was by virtue of being Diamond. And I'd forgotten about our earlier discussion - now on the previous page - where you explained that you'd booked a suite with lounge access.
Being confusing is clearly my speciality :0)
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
We stayed at Waldorf Dubai mid February with a Burj view ( roadside ) unfortunately diggers and about 30 workmen were literally outside our balcony moving huge boulders from early morning to late evening along the roadside which was not pleasant.

I recommend a room overlooking Atlantis ( pool view ) if planning a stay anytime soon.

What made up for this is that the hotel and staff were amazing we had free breakfast in restaurant as Diamond which was first class.

We were in a premier suite which gave lounge access. Really good lounge on 5th floor with full cocktail list and great service from very nice staff.

Stayed here in 2014 with lots of niggles but new general manager since 2015 is doing a great job with this hotel.

Will definitely return once the workmen have finished one of our best stays ever.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by PaulH1
We stayed at Waldorf Dubai mid February with a Burj view ( roadside ) unfortunately diggers and about 30 workmen were literally outside our balcony moving huge boulders from early morning to late evening along the roadside which was not pleasant.

I recommend a room overlooking Atlantis ( pool view ) if planning a stay anytime soon.

What made up for this is that the hotel and staff were amazing we had free breakfast in restaurant as Diamond which was first class.

We were in a premier suite which gave lounge access. Really good lounge on 5th floor with full cocktail list and great service from very nice staff.

Stayed here in 2014 with lots of niggles but new general manager since 2015 is doing a great job with this hotel.

Will definitely return once the workmen have finished one of our best stays ever.
Leave it a few years. The noise from the new Atlantis hotel construction and the development right next door to the WA is going to be noisy as hell for at least 18-24 months.

Agree about the breakfast and the lounge. Both excellent.

Have now been sat in a taxi for 2 hours trying to get to the hotel from near the airport.

If you want to leave the hotel during your vacation then I strongly advise you don't stay here.

Yes there is a water taxi, but despite advising that it is book able from 10am each morning, it's been full every morning I've asked.

Given the traffic situation and the construction I think the hotel are having a laugh not mentioning this stuff before you book - or at least adding more water taxi capacity

Last edited by Geoggy; Mar 25, 2016 at 7:44 am
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: Meh
Just returned form a nice stay here. We stayed in a premier suite with lounge access.
The staff in the lounge are excellent, in the main lobby pretty crap. We were advised it would take 2 hrs to get to the mall, we took a chance and it took 25 mins each way. Our hotel car to the airport was 20 minutes late and we ended up jumping in a normal taxi. The staff at the time were utterly confused and not very helpful.

The lounge itself is great, good breakfast, afternoon tea and sandwiches, and nibbles. 5-8 cocktail hour is a must if you like a drink given the prices. Also given we had two young kids we were given 8 drinks vouchers for the poolside bar which were very good.

We had half board and the buffet was excellent each evening. This was a good investment I got in the recent sale, otherwise feeding my kids/ourselves would have cost me dearly.

Re the construction both left and right are building sites but the noise did not bother me at any time. I ran each day around the palm and it really is one big ugly construction site. The traffic on the palm if you hit the wrong time is simply horrible.

Would I go back? Probably not as you are stuck given the location, and the prices are crazy. The wine list pricing in Lao is laughable.

Given all that it is a 5 star resort if that is what you are looking for.

Edit to add I was offered on the app a paid upgrade, and when I checked in I asked about an upgrade as a diamond and was told the hotel was full. It was late at night and I did not bother arguing.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 12:40 am

Going to Lao again tonight - and yes the house red, which they serve for free in the Lounge, is 60 quid a bottle.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: Meh
Going to Lao again tonight - and yes the house red, which they serve for free in the Lounge, is 60 quid a bottle.
And tastes like a 10 quid bottle of plonk IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.