Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by hugolover
Hilton does not have a good rep for luxury.
I guess that Amsterdam has even less of a good rep for luxury than Hilton, which is probably fair

But in any case, surely you're not treating a #1 on Tripadvisor with any seriousness? In Bangkok Marriott hotel restaurants have about 1/2 of the top 30 restaurants in the city. Who knew that club sandwiches were the pinnacle of Thai cuisine?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I am staying here for two nights next month using points and I am already getting a bad feeling about my stay. First, I gave them my flight arrival information (which is really uncertain when you factor in possible delays) and they asked me (twice) that I book a room the night before to guarantee an early check-in. I am not expecting an early check-in but many people have mentioned it in tripadvisor reviews and I have Diamond status. I had to respond firmly that I planned to drop my stuff off and wander the city if a room isn't available (but I will want to know when to return to the hotel). They never replied to this email. Second, the concierge booked a car pick-up at the airport for me when I didn't even ask for one. I found this a bit annoying. I just emailed him back and stated firmly that I will be taking an Uber and I have no real idea when I will arrive at the hotel actually. I have heard of both flight delays and baggage delays at Schipol airport. I could arrive at 9am or noon. Why knows? Anyway, I am using a lot of points to stay at this hotel and plan to enjoy the property before I leave on a cruise. I like to travel on my terms and not the hotels. If my concerns are unwarranted please tell me but at this point I kind of regret not booking the Doubletree.
If you plan on enjoying the property more so than exploring the city then you made a wonderful choice and I hope when you arrive at the hotel, the hotel will be able to redeem themselves in your eyes.

My family and I stayed here in May for 3 nights booked on points in the standard room and we had an absolutely lovely stay. They definitely stand by their #LiveUnforgettable tag. All the staff we encountered were exemplary from front desk to bellhop to housekeeping/turndown. I could recount but my top three where I thought their service really shone was as follows. (1) My toddler and I wanted to use the pool after hours and all it took was a quick call to concierge and they had staff waiting for us to let us in. (2) One day we were on our way out and they gave our little girl a wrapped up coloring book and some color pencils. (3) We had a kind gentlemen at breakfast on day 1 and on our last day he remembered us and my baby's name. I haven't stayed at too many hotels of this caliber but I thought the service was truly beyond for Europe and probably on par with Asia. Hard product is equally as splendid.

We only wish that we had more time to try the michelin star restaurant and afternoon tea. Hopefully we get a chance in the future to come back!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by travelbugging
If you plan on enjoying the property more so than exploring the city then you made a wonderful choice and I hope when you arrive at the hotel, the hotel will be able to redeem themselves in your eyes.

My family and I stayed here in May for 3 nights booked on points in the standard room and we had an absolutely lovely stay. They definitely stand by their #LiveUnforgettable tag. All the staff we encountered were exemplary from front desk to bellhop to housekeeping/turndown. I could recount but my top three where I thought their service really shone was as follows. (1) My toddler and I wanted to use the pool after hours and all it took was a quick call to concierge and they had staff waiting for us to let us in. (2) One day we were on our way out and they gave our little girl a wrapped up coloring book and some color pencils. (3) We had a kind gentlemen at breakfast on day 1 and on our last day he remembered us and my baby's name. I haven't stayed at too many hotels of this caliber but I thought the service was truly beyond for Europe and probably on par with Asia. Hard product is equally as splendid.

We only wish that we had more time to try the michelin star restaurant and afternoon tea. Hopefully we get a chance in the future to come back!
Thank you. Your comments are very reassuring. I think part of the problem is that I am not used to a hotel emailing me before arrival, so that caught me off guard. It seems that most people are picked up at the airport by a driver for 130 Euros but that seems unnecessary when I can get an Uber for 30. I am staying here two days before a Holland America cruise, and yes I plan to enjoy the property mostly. I have booked the afternoon tea and a dinner there.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I guess that Amsterdam has even less of a good rep for luxury than Hilton, which is probably fair

But in any case, surely you're not treating a #1 on Tripadvisor with any seriousness? In Bangkok Marriott hotel restaurants have about 1/2 of the top 30 restaurants in the city. Who knew that club sandwiches were the pinnacle of Thai cuisine?
I think WA AMS guests are way more discerning than those who go to BKK. It’s just a different price point entirely. Service costs money. I think the various Dutch hotel schools also contribute to their success.

Their internal Hilton scores are also excellent.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by hugolover
I think WA AMS guests are way more discerning than those who go to BKK. It’s just a different price point entirely. Service costs money. I think the various Dutch hotel schools also contribute to their success.

Their internal Hilton scores are also excellent.
Without wanting to turn this into an off topic argument, this post makes no sense at all. I think we all know that Tripadvisor users are not more "discerning" than anyone, so a high rating really can't be taken seriously. I brought up Bangkok's example of top rated restaurants as just one of many obvious examples of how the rankings are in no way related to guest experience or quality. Out of nowhere, you seem to be suggesting that hotel hospitality in general is better in Amsterdam than Bangkok which is frankly laughable.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s fine my views are laughable because I don’t need anyone to agree with me. My opinions remain valid. I would trust AMS hotel TA reviews more than I would anything for BKK. It’s common sense. Probably they are not full of names as well. Miss Blah and Mr Blah was… .

I’d rather be in the WA AMS than any Hilton in Bangkok . It’s actually premium. BKK WA is not well rated here on FT.

Whatever people thought about Roberto Payer, the hotel is the flagship of Hilton in Europe. Biltmore is a dump in comparison. WA BER is legacy. WA AMS is an excellent hotel and that’s a huge achievement for Hilton.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm really interested in using my FNC here. I have two and I can't seem to find any dates between now and the end of the year to use them consecutively here. Is anyone here able to confirm that it's not possible to use two certificates in a row?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:00 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm really interested in using my FNC here. I have two and I can't seem to find any dates between now and the end of the year to use them consecutively here. Is anyone here able to confirm that it's not possible to use two certificates in a row?
Good luck using them
At Conrad NYC Midtown even on slow nights they are frequently unusable.I'll bet we would be shocked to find out how few so called standard rooms there are
Was stunned to find that the Hyatt Centric in Hawaii has like 10 standard rooms.Hyatt is usually fair compared to Hilton
My guess it would be like winning the lottery if you score.Many hotels take standard inventory and just rename them premium to get rid of those guests
trying to redeem certs
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Good luck using them
At Conrad NYC Midtown even on slow nights they are frequently unusable.I'll bet we would be shocked to find out how few so called standard rooms there are
Was stunned to find that the Hyatt Centric in Hawaii has like 10 standard rooms.Hyatt is usually fair compared to Hilton
My guess it would be like winning the lottery if you score.Many hotels take standard inventory and just rename them premium to get rid of those guests
trying to redeem certs
If I were to use one then my problem is solved, but Hilton has made an exception and permits everyone to use it any day of the week in 2022. I suspect next year, it'll just go back to being weekends only!
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:17 pm

If I were to use one then my problem is solved, but Hilton has made an exception and permits everyone to use it any day of the week in 2022. I suspect next year, it'll just go back to being weekends only!
I’m going to dump my last two at Crockfords Las Vegas just to blow them out before expiring this year.
Gosh it’s hard enough to use them non weekends
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m going to dump my last two at Crockfords Las Vegas just to blow them out before expiring this year.
Gosh it’s hard enough to use them non weekends
It'll be very difficult without asking for time off if I have to use the FNCs during a weekend. I think you should consider the WABH.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:29 pm

It'll be very difficult without asking for time off if I have to use the FNCs during a weekend. I think you should consider the WABH.
Don’t spend as much time in LA anymore and when I do it’s seems WA never has the dates I’m looking for either 😳
Good suggestion though!Look at like this no value if you can’t book it wheN you want it!
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don’t spend as much time in LA anymore and when I do it’s seems WA never has the dates I’m looking for either 😳
Good suggestion though!Look at like this no value if you can’t book it wheN you want it!
​​​​​​Well, yea!!! If you can't use it or it's highly restrictive, then the value is definitely a lot lower.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I just finished up my two night stay here using points and a Free Night Certificate. I really went back and forth between the Waldorf Astoria, the Hilton, and the Doubletree in Amsterdam. I decided to go with the Waldorf because the reviews are excellent and the location is convenient to where I wanted to go. Overall, I am happy with my decision and enjoyed the hotel. I am going to post some general observations about the hotel that can perhaps help others in the future. First, I booked a day room at the Hilton Schipol Airport because this hotel could not guarantee an early check-in (and as mentioned in another post, seemed to discourage it). So, instead of arriving at 9am, I showed up at 3pm. I took an Uber from the airport (which I probably would not take again). The app showed the cost as 38 Euros but my ultimate charge was 56 Euros. I probably should have taken the train and tram to the hotel instead. Second, the service was flawless and friendly. I ate two breakfasts and one dinner at the hotel and enjoyed the bar for a bit. Everyone went out of their way to make my stay special. I was also given a free drink at dinner and not charged for two phone calls to the United States. The staff will sincerely try to get to know you and make sure you have a good time here. Unfortunately, I am not really sure how much of an upgrade I received as a Diamond member. I booked a King Superior Plus Room and was given a King Premier. This is supposed to be two room categories up. However, the Premier room looked about the same as the Superior Plus room in the pictures to be honest. I had a view of the garden. Speaking of the garden, I wish they allowed people to eat breakfast out there in the morning but they do not. Finally, the hotel is about a 20m minute walk to the Rijksmuseum and 25 minutes to the Anne Frank House. There are many restaurants and bars around.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:00 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Please take any further general discussion of FNCs here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...es-thread.html

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Hilton forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.