Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:28 am

I'm looking at rates in June 2019 and they're getting close to $1K/night. Are people actually paying this? I understand it's a fantastic property but jeez.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dcht
I'm looking at rates in June 2019 and they're getting close to $1K/night. Are people actually paying this? I understand it's a fantastic property but jeez.
Tough call. The "problem" is that it's the #1 rated hotel in Amsterdam and you're looking at high season, so they can get away with these prices.
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Are people actually paying this
Of Course and a "proper room" is hard to get for 1000. This hotel is on one level with FS or MO, which aren´t available with points. For me is one of the few Hilton-Hotels which are interesting. While I have some problems with paying such rates in AMS they are getting more and more common.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:06 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
This is one of the very few WA properties that actually is world class and top or near the top of its market: Amsterdam, Beverly Hills, Chicago, and maybe Rome and Bangkok. Its rates in high season therefore reflect high demand as much as its innate quality.

This property is actually perceived widely as the best in Amsterdam, which is a rarity for any WA anywhere. Its rates reflect that in the summer high season.
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Its rates reflect that in the summer high season.
Aren't you hyping this too much? I noticed the Hilton Amsterdam and Hilton Schiphol had some unusual moderate summer sale rates this month of July, it didn't really seem much of a high season.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:00 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Sisosig
Aren't you hyping this too much? I noticed the Hilton Amsterdam and Hilton Schiphol had some unusual moderate summer sale rates this month of July, it didn't really seem much of a high season.
I am not hyping anything; those are the rates reported below for the WA.

Demand for the WA is going to be massively larger than for a Hilton or an airport hotel, and the affluence of WA guests and aspirants will be significantly higher, too. Hence the high rates approaching 1000 euros at certain times.
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: HH D
Well I just checked, not any night is near 1000 euro (I think we are talking Standard Rooms / 95k points). Not even when you include the dreadful Amsterdam Anti-Tourism Tax, unless the city of Amsterdam is going to increase it to 30% next year.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:40 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Sisosig
Well I just checked, not any night is near 1000 euro (I think we are talking Standard Rooms / 95k points). Not even when you include the dreadful Amsterdam Anti-Tourism Tax, unless the city of Amsterdam is going to increase it to 30% next year.
Fabulous. Please tell the one who originally posted that rates were so high (see below)!

The rest of us are merely explaining how and why a hotel like this can have high rates. None of us are a price check!

We're all assuming that he or she meant 2020...since it's posted here in Aug 2019!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:33 pm

I think I'm going to spring for this property over all the other options for my wife's anniversary next summer. We were strongly considering Paris Opera but I think this won us over for several reasons.

-Obviously a much, much nicer property.
-15,000 points more a night than Paris opera, but cash rates are crazy higher than most other properties anyway.
-Paris in the summer sounds very congested and touristy. As romantic as it would be, the more laid back aura of Amsterdam combined with the quaint property just sounds so much more relaxing.
-We're suckers for beautiful bathrooms.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The rest of us are merely explaining how and why a hotel like this can have high rates. None of us are a price check!
I did a quick check before I replied and in July 2020 it´s indeed near 1000 $. 16th to 17th June for excample is 840 € Flexible Rate for a Superior, Grand Premier 970 € and Junior Suite 1235 €. With specal rates you get it a little cheaper.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:55 am

Is it still common practice that nearly everyone is being upgraded from Superior Plus rooms due to the availability numbers? As Diamond, it sounds very unlikely, especially in Summer, that one of those rooms would be available. besides, a Diamond should be upgraded anyway, at least on principle.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jbandy10
I think I'm going to spring for this property over all the other options for my wife's anniversary next summer. We were strongly considering Paris Opera but I think this won us over for several reasons.

-Obviously a much, much nicer property.
-15,000 points more a night than Paris opera, but cash rates are crazy higher than most other properties anyway.
-Paris in the summer sounds very congested and touristy. As romantic as it would be, the more laid back aura of Amsterdam combined with the quaint property just sounds so much more relaxing.
-We're suckers for beautiful bathrooms.
Central Amsterdam is pretty nutty during the tourist season too - bikes flying left and right, in front and behind. If you venture further out, it can be quite pleasant though.

I’ve stayed at the Park Hyatt in Paris and while the rooms are slightly smaller, the WA is at least every bit as classy. One of the best hotels I’ve stayed in the Hilton family.

For 95,000 points a night, that’s a no brainer because this place is notorious for having extremely high point redemptions. Tonight, for example, they’re asking for 700,000 points for a room valued at 1600 EUR which is terrible point value.

Last edited by triplefives; Sep 23, 2019 at 1:36 am
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Upon checking in, I noticed some guests being offered a cash upcharge to a slightly larger room or a canal view room. Has anyone been offered a cash upcharge to a suite? And if so, what was the cost?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Does anyone know if Golds receive full breakfast, or some more limited beneft? I've seen lots of discussion of the diamond breakfast, but nothing about gold. I'm sadly going to drop in status next year, and have to lower my expectations.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:52 am

Anyone know what room here is the base room that allows for point bookings at 95k/night? It's odd because it seems as if the King Superior Plus Room is that room, but the Queen Deluxe room is smaller and doesn't seem as nice...trying to book for 4 nights in early May w/ points but I feel like that's wishful thinking...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.