Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by as219

Just out of curiosity, what was the room number of the “prison cell”?

In any case, it’s hard to know what to make of your complaint. Basically you’re saying that the most disappointing experience you’ve ever had at a Hilton is that you didn’t get the upgrade you wanted on one of the busiest weekends of the year. Is that pretty much it? And that they didn’t give you the Brentano Suite for free. It seems to me a tad bit unreasonable frankly, whether on a points or paid stay. If the view was that important you should have booked a room with a view rather than expect the upgrade. And I say this as someone about to have a 5-night mixed paid/award stay there. I’m hoping that as a diamond they’ll put us in an upgraded room type so that we don’t have to switch midstay, but I certainly don’t expect it.

Booking at a peak time and not getting upgraded doesn’t seem like a fail on the hotel’s part.
His complaint is that the room they put him in was worse than the room he booked. If true, that's a valid complaint.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Truth777
His complaint is that the room they put him in was worse than the room he booked. If true, that's a valid complaint.
They did not put him in a worse room. They gave him an upgraded room, which I assume was larger but which he felt was a downgrade because of the lack of view. Which “ruined” his stay. But how is the hotel supposed to know the view was so important unless he tells them?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:23 pm
Suspended

They did not put him in a worse room. They gave him an upgraded room, which I assume was larger but which he felt was a downgrade because of the lack of view. Which “ruined” his stay. But how is the hotel supposed to know the view was so important unless he tells them?
You're looking at this from the POV of the hotel. I'm looking at it from the customer's POV. The only thing that matters here is whether the customer deems the new room to be a downgrade and that can be based upon any criteria that the customer wants. If the customer doesn't want the so called "upgrade" and wants their original room, the hotel is obligated to give it to them.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Truth777
You're looking at this from the POV of the hotel. I'm looking at it from the customer's POV. The only thing that matters here is whether the customer deems the new room to be a downgrade and that can be based upon any criteria that the customer wants. If the customer doesn't want the so called "upgrade" and wants their original room, the hotel is obligated to give it to them.
I am sympathetic to the notion that the customer is always right, but really, what is a hotel at capacity supposed to do? Keep a big chunk of their capacity in limbo, just in case people decide to reject the upgrade? If the view is so important, it needs to be communicated to the hotel in advance. I can't imagine the Waldorf would have rejected the downgrade request unless they were really unable to meet it.

On the other hand, reading the OP again, it seems that when they offered the upgrade, they represented that the new room had a better view than the originally booked room, which, apparently, it did not. (It would help if OP could chime in here with the room number in question...) I can understand some disappointment. What confuses me is that if OP says he wants a view, then they (a) move him to a room with a worse view and (b) refuse to put him back in the original room, did they not see the need for some kind of compensation or amenity?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
YMMV....
Last year (July), I had a four-night points and Citi Bank free-night certificate stay here; my room overlooked the canal. I'm guessing it comes down to availability, unless the management has instituted a new policy for free night room assignments. Truly sorry to hear that OP had a poor experience, this was one of my favorite hotel stays.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
YMMV....
Last year (July), I had a four-night points and Citi Bank free-night certificate stay here; my room overlooked the canal. I'm guessing it comes down to availability, unless the management has instituted a new policy for free night room assignments. Truly sorry to hear that OP had a poor experience, this was one of my favorite hotel stays.
Other than the upgrade, did you receive any other HHD recognition? (Not that the upgrade is anything to sniff at...)
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Honestly, I don't recall....probably not; this was back when WA did not provide breakfast benefit.

Other than the upgrade, did you receive any other HHD recognition? (Not that the upgrade is anything to sniff at...)
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Honestly, I don't recall....probably not; this was back when WA did not provide breakfast benefit.
We're super psyched that the breakfast benefit is a thing now. I would assume the buffet there is, what, 40 EUR a person? We're there five nights. That adds up!
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
We're super psyched that the breakfast benefit is a thing now. I would assume the buffet there is, what, 40 EUR a person? We're there five nights. That adds up!
Indeed! Also breakfast is OK but nothing special.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Indeed! Also breakfast is OK but nothing special.
I've heard this from a couple of sources... What's not special about it?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I've heard this from a couple of sources... What's not special about it?
Choices are limited which is OK, but quality was mediocre. For excample only few (cheap) cheeses what´s a shame in the Netherlands. No real selection of fish (only salmon), no "personality" with dutch specialities.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:37 pm

I stayed on points/free night certs from December 27 - 30 in 2015 and from December 29, 2016 -January 2, 2017. Upgraded to premier canal view room on both occasions. I was gold for both stays. One (two!) of the best hotel experiences My wife and I have had.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by offerendum
Choices are limited which is OK, but quality was mediocre. For excample only few (cheap) cheeses what´s a shame in the Netherlands. No real selection of fish (only salmon), no "personality" with dutch specialities.
Do you remember what some of the hot items were? You mentioned it was a mediocre breakfast, but if it at least has eggs and bacon or sausage (or both), and maybe pancakes, I'm fine with that.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:19 am

I’m here now...

Will report back after breakfast tomorrow morning.

First impressions are stunning.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There’s lots of options like eggs Benedict with ham or salmon. Only the one with caviar has an upsell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.