Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by zcdx
The breakfast of this hotel is very generous... I think this may be the BEST free breakfast offered for Diamond member .
Otherwise, rooms are new. Location is good. Free bike rental.
Much to hugolover’s chagrin, I’d have to rate the WA Bangkok’s breakfast higher, although perhaps my rather delicate constitution during the morning of my WA Amsterdam stay adds a touch of bias. Breakfast at the WA Maldives, with free pour Tattinger amid some of the world’s finest ocean views, also takes some beating.
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:15 am

Programs: BA GGL
Woops! Ignore. Commented when trying to edit. Doh!!!
Old Mar 16, 2023, 7:35 pm

What is a standard room at this property these days? I tried stays from March 2023 through September 2023 and didn’t find any standard rooms even last minute.
thanks
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by coltonatx
What is a standard room at this property these days? I tried stays from March 2023 through September 2023 and didn’t find any standard rooms even last minute.
thanks
King superior or king superior plus. I see standard room available mar 18-20, may 22, sep 21, and sep 27
Old Mar 26, 2023, 2:54 pm

Do gold members get free breakfast here?
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Wink Afternoon Tea MAR2023

For those planning a stay at the WA-AMS or for those wishing to indulge in their seasonal afternoon tea,

Please find below my observations....

- tout Amsterdam+Netherlands under Vermeer-mania https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/23/a...r-tv-show.html & https://news.artnet.com/art-world/du...pieces-2260878 & https://www.maxvandaag.nl/programmas...ieuwe-vermeer/
- a lot of foreign visitors especially for Vermeer so easy conversation starter but also a healthy demand for rooms + suites https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/09/a...um-review.html & https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/23/a...r-tv-show.html
- Afternoon Tea website : https://wwc.resengo.com/waldorf_astoria_peacock_alley
- Honestly, i reserved this at least 3 months in advance, a must because weekends are very popular
- Impossible to adapt offering to individual requests even by emailing 2 months in advance (sugar free / less sugar / vegan etc...)
: alternative emailed back as answer was to provide; or double portion savoury or double portion sweet.....
- house champagne is Pol Roger
- 2 tea flavours are served, during
: savoury items has earl grey pairing
: sweet items has chamomille pairing
- set menu of afternoon tea comes with a herb mocktail starter as apèretif
- tea is served loose leaf in a pot that can pour 3 cups (refills are unlimited)
- savoury & sweet are presented at once on the étagière [first stage]
- one eats in the direction off the étagière from top to bottom to right to left
- afterwards come the fresh backed scones [second stage]
- live pianist provides easy listening tunes
- toilets on the same level with cloth towels

Review conclusion
- general consensus: some tables are very low to eat from / items are bit sized / no sandwiches
- opinion of me mum: its a sugar sweet overload emphasis
- opinion of the rabbi : photogenic food presentation but confusion as savoury/sweet is presented at once (he just had the tea as that's kosher parve)
- opinion of the priest : he had never seen oysters before at a high tea
- opnion of the ladies invitées : worthwhile for selfies + seen and be seen
- own opinion: no tea type explaination and why no explaination of the specific tea pairing with specific items

The team serving during afternoon tea were a bit on the younger side.
Started formal and distant (bet they were trained this way) but were later much more friendlier & relaxed knowing we can speak Dutch.
Because of a full house, explainations were done a bit fast before quickly moving to the next table.
Romanian maître was knowledgable and helpful.

Peacock Alley seating

Menu Afternoon Tea 2023

Special partner & caterer is the hip & happening Spataro Chocolaterie & Patisserie
Spataro : https://spataro.nl
Cornelis Schuytstraat 9, 1071 JC Amsterdam, Netherlands
https://www.instagram.com/spatarochocolaterie/?hl=en
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/menno...986572800-_AJT

Champagne served at Afternoon Tea is of Pol Roger

Menu Afternoon Tea 2023 Part 2

Menu Afternoon Tea 2023 Part 3

Menu Afternoon Tea 2023 Part 4

The etagière holds both savories & sweets at the same time

WA-AMS Chef of patisserie team (Jeroen Boone: https://www.instagram.com/jeroendutchyboone/?hl=en) doing rounds of explaination

Take away of residuals is possible

Pianist present for musical framework

Inner garden of WA-AMS
(No food & beverage may be served / consumed here & no noise after dusk = negotiated terms with the neighbouring nobility & rich

Meeting room of WA-AMS [Historic]

Meeting room of WA-AMS [Modern Classic]

Hope this post is informative for those visiting in the future,
Amsterdam was always steep priced but now with Vermeer it is going ballistic !
+ the tulips are out
https://keukenhof.nl/en/

Last edited by HadesNL; Mar 29, 2023 at 10:16 am
Old May 12, 2023, 4:44 am

Is it possible to book a standard room for 3 people (no young children)? Wondering if it’s worth stalking the site to see if any opens up
Old May 12, 2023, 6:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Unfortunately i have never stayed here ....

But the recent reviews show that the premium rooms are to aim for,
Especially if one needs to squeeze in 3 adult in a room (extra bed)

https://youhavebeenupgraded.boarding...hter-reinfall/
Translated: https://youhavebeenupgraded-boarding...n&_x_tr_pto=sc
https://travelupdate.com/review-the-...ria-amsterdam/
Old May 17, 2023, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL/HH/IHG/BW/Caesar's Diamond (Select), UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott/MGM Gold, Hertz/Avis PC
I had another delightful stay at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam, confirming this is worthy of being my favorite Hilton property. I booked last minute the day prior due to a canceled flight which allowed for the stay to be heavily subsidized by the kind folks at American Express. Still even with my corporate rate, the price for my stay and into the winter is double what I paid before. While this makes it a great value for free night certificates or points, cash rates are tough to justify at $1K+ a night.

I booked a Grand King Premier room and was upgraded the morning of my arrival to a Grand King Premier Canal view which would have been a disappointing "upgrade." I did request room 305 if available as it is my favorite junior suite (100 square meters) but it was already occupied. I used my corporate rate instead of AMEX FHR so being able to check in by 12PM was a fantastic courtesy offered by the hotel. I was upgraded to the only Grand King Premier with balcony on property which goes for double what I paid so a substantial enough upgrade for me.

I also received upgrade offers for $40 to a premier loft or $300 to a smaller junior suite. A regular suite was available for $600. All of these were in app and the staff did not try to upsell me at checkin unlike other properties. Breakfast was of course offered but I was unable to partake due to an early flight. I did take advantage of a complimentary welcome old fashioned in peacock alley while my room was being prepared.

I wasn't offered a choice of turn down scents during checkin but maybe they could tell I was tired from a transatlantic flight haha. I was able to select one and ask for a specific turn down service time which was carried out as requested.

I didn't need a late checkout but it was offered. The room was somewhat small but with a large bathroom and balcony making up for it.
Old May 23, 2023, 12:53 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I am presently at Waldorf Astoria in Amsterdam and eating eggs benedict right now in my room. I booked King Superior and was upgraded to King Deluxe with a view of the canal. I did not know about the view until later when I walked a step up to look outside the window which was high. Turn down service was provided but I didn't opt for scents.

I cannot find fault in this fine establishment. The service, the people, the room, all are outstanding.

For some reason, the water provided in the room is slightly carbonated. I prefer still water.

Now I'm off to Apenheul to see my long-lost relatives. Cheers!
Michael19887 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Originally Posted by travelbugging
If you plan on enjoying the property more so than exploring the city then you made a wonderful choice and I hope when you arrive at the hotel, the hotel will be able to redeem themselves in your eyes.

My family and I stayed here in May for 3 nights booked on points in the standard room and we had an absolutely lovely stay. They definitely stand by their #LiveUnforgettable tag. All the staff we encountered were exemplary from front desk to bellhop to housekeeping/turndown. I could recount but my top three where I thought their service really shone was as follows. (1) My toddler and I wanted to use the pool after hours and all it took was a quick call to concierge and they had staff waiting for us to let us in. (2) One day we were on our way out and they gave our little girl a wrapped up coloring book and some color pencils. (3) We had a kind gentlemen at breakfast on day 1 and on our last day he remembered us and my baby's name. I haven't stayed at too many hotels of this caliber but I thought the service was truly beyond for Europe and probably on par with Asia. Hard product is equally as splendid.

We only wish that we had more time to try the michelin star restaurant and afternoon tea. Hopefully we get a chance in the future to come back!
Any chance you could clarify how many adults you had on your booking? I have a redemption booking for the basic room coming up later this month, and I'm concerned how they will react to us bringing our 3-year old. We haven't had any issues with other hotels booking a room for 2 adults and showing up with 2 adults + child sleeping in the same bed, but I read a review on Google Maps suggesting that this hotel may not tolerate this on the basis of "fire safety" and forces guests into a cash suite upgrade.

Any insights based on your experience would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by wipeott
Any chance you could clarify how many adults you had on your booking? I have a redemption booking for the basic room coming up later this month, and I'm concerned how they will react to us bringing our 3-year old. We haven't had any issues with other hotels booking a room for 2 adults and showing up with 2 adults + child sleeping in the same bed, but I read a review on Google Maps suggesting that this hotel may not tolerate this on the basis of "fire safety" and forces guests into a cash suite upgrade.

Any insights based on your experience would be much appreciated.
Just came back with my 3yo and we stayed here for the second time. Just email them before informing them you have your child with you. They will try to upsell you but I just ignored that email and showed up hoping with diamond status I would be upgraded. Lovely hotel, they are really good with toddlers!
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:39 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I’ve finally booked this hotel now that the former GM has retired
I didn’t like him when he was at Hilton Amsterdam and I watched his responses to dissatisfied guests
@ WA Amsterdam as he spread his venom back in his angry responses.
He had more excuses for his failures than any GM in history.
I’m sure they kept him because he maximized profit for the owners over all else
I’m looking forward to the experience since his departure
Old Aug 5, 2023, 10:39 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Honestly, I can't imagine it being better.. it was fantastic when I stayed. Now you're telling me it could be better? This, I gotta see.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:05 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Wiggums
Honestly, I can't imagine it being better.. it was fantastic when I stayed. Now you're telling me it could be better? This, I gotta see.
Could be might be new GM.
I only had an experience at Hilton Amsterdam for a week and never went back it was bad and dated and had hostile management
The WA despite any management on board has always had many fans.
The positive reviews seem to outweigh the negative by far.
At the price point of 1200 US dollars a night shouldn't it be?No chump change!
The hard product speaks for itself though seems a bit formal in early perception.Amstel IC had that about it too
Though very comfortable hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.