Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:30 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Mora
I wonder what the basis for the city tax will be on rewards nights as you do not have a room rate.
Is there a tax on 0 dollar room rates for award nights?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:52 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I stayed there last year using certs.. no charge whatsoever on my credit card. 17% of $0 is... $0.

It's a % of the hotel rate, unlike other cities that charge € per stay, usually small, €1 to €5 or so per night.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Wiggums
I stayed there last year using certs.. no charge whatsoever on my credit card. 17% of $0 is... $0.

It's a % of the hotel rate, unlike other cities that charge € per stay, usually small, €1 to €5 or so per night.
Oddly at another area hotel that is well known I received taxes on an award night.I went back and forth at check out
and the hotels front office manager backed the front desk agent.
I let the charge stick rather than debate it and reported to corporate
upon my return and got the charge reversed.Very awkward
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:24 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Same Hilton chain?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 11:26 pm

Same Hilton chain?
One Hilton in Rome long ago
One Hyatt property in Amsterdam recently
I didn't experience an award tax at Waldorf Amsterdam using an Amex certificate
Old Feb 15, 2024, 3:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Oh that's very good of WA AMS to absorb the Amsterdam tourist tax for those on award bookings !
Or they are just really clever in their accounting reports,
as technically they do need to report the following :

https://www.amsterdam.nl/veelgevraag...lasting-2c7c2#

In English from google translate:
Accommodation providers with guaranteed turnover

Guaranteed turnover is the case if,
on the basis of price agreements,
overnight stays are purchased from you by a third party such as a mediator.
This third party sells the overnight stays itself.
The compensation that the accommodation provider receives is the guaranteed turnover.
This fee is generally stipulated in an agreement between the accommodation provider and the third party.
The tourist tax is calculated on the fee excluding tourist tax.
The fee is the amount on which sales VAT tax is due.
You must indicate the guaranteed turnover

======

There are multiple angles to interpret but for now fortunately,
- a guest on an award booking has €0 generating revenue = not applicable for tourist tax

But if the municipality takes a more stricter investigation + approach
- the award booking was paid with points,
these points have officially no value,
however Hilton Honnors will reimburse the Waldorf Astoria a token amount for every award booking ,
this will appear on the hotel's balance sheet,
the token amount could be the cost that is liable for tourist tax

=====

Back on topic :
book those award rooms asap !
do not book revenue!
Rumor has it that even next year the tourist tax might creep up again !
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not a token amount?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:32 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I have learned from IHG's forum,
that IHG reimburses an individual hotel between $ set low token amount for each award booking made via IHG-1rewards.
Value is higher if hotel's occupancy reaches > 95%

To lazy to find the relevant thread but LL and VTWY Clarissa are explaining it all:
https://viewfromthewing.com/award-gu...m-your-points/
https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/08/06/...y-low-amounts/
https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/07/25/...r-award-stays/
Spoiler

IC AMS aka
Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam,
used to wave or absorb city tax for Royal Ambassadors on award bookings.
However with municipality increasing tourism tax to a fixed 12,5 % on average daily room rate revenue,
And stricter accounting reporting checks,
It can't dodge forwarding the higher tourism tax on its valued elites staying on award booking anymore.
And as such does bills the guest the tourism tax based on their current internal IHG-reimbusement rate of $65 per award room per night.

So 12,5 % of $45 = Amsterdam tourism tax 2024 levied per award room at IC AMS

I presumed Hilton / Hyatt / Marriot in Amsterdam doing the same,
But it seems WA + Hilton Honnors still have the courtesy to absord the tourist tax 2024 for their elite guests on award stays.

Last edited by HadesNL; Feb 15, 2024 at 7:56 am
Old Feb 18, 2024, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Southwest A-List
I just booked a five-day stay this summer for 440k and was offered an upgrade supplement, €30 for a King Deluxe, €50 for King Premier, and €200 for King Grand Premier. I went for the King Premier, fingers crossed for an upgrade to King Grand Premier, but I am not counting on it. I love this hotel!
I got the same upgrade offer for my December stay, the €50 seemed well worth it even without a further upgrade.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL/HH/IHG/BW/Caesar's Diamond (Select), UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott/MGM Gold, Hertz/Avis PC
Just had another fantastic stay at the WA Amsterdam. Suzanne at the front desk was delightful and Frank, the concierge was able to secure last minute reservations at 212's seafood restaurant which was fantastic just like 212 and Juwelier. I received a complimentary upgrade from a base king to junior suite.

My preferred room, 305, has been updated and the new decor is more modern. I had a great breakfast where they suggesting going with 1 taste of Waldorf and ordering 2 complimentary entrees with it.

This was a brief stay but I still was able to enjoy the pool, sauna, gardens, and room. As usual the staff anticipated needs and it was a seamless and enjoyable stay. Already looking forward to my next visit.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:47 am

Does anybody know if the eggs with caviar is included in the free breakfast as gold/diamond?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by julzen
Does anybody know if the eggs with caviar is included in the free breakfast as gold/diamond?
no. There’s an upcharge if you want that
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:09 pm

Is there a map of the hotel so I know what class the rooms are in? I stayed in 309 and I'm trying to tell if it's a Superior, Deluxe, or Premium...

Edited: Nevermind, it's exactly the same as the photo of the Premium.. I even think they used the same room.

Last edited by Wiggums; Mar 10, 2024 at 1:50 pm
Old Mar 10, 2024, 1:52 pm

It seems there are now two more types of Premier rooms.. King Grand Premier with Outdoor Space and King Grand Premier with Balcony.

I doubt they're facing the canal though....
Old Mar 10, 2024, 4:55 pm

Balcony room is #313

Indeed

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/ams...sterdam/rooms/

A quick search on Tripadvisor reveals this KING grand premier balcony room as having the designated number of #313

See map for YELLOW circle

The website tells us also the possibility of KING grand premier with outdoor space

See map for BLUE circle

(personally IMO, an outdoor space is nice but you do get the sense you get a view of a brick wall )

RED Circle : you can see that hotel is made up of 6 different authentic buildings creating a diversity in room types and within room types.

Hope this clears up about the question if these balcony / outdor space room types came with canal view .... a visual says more in this case

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.